Benedryl?

MerleBee
MerleBee Member Posts: 49
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I have seen a couple of posts that suggest some link between Benedryl and breast cancer, but can't seem to locate them. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Thanks,

MerleBee

Comments

• Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    I was advised to take
    I was advised to take Benadryl along with Advil for side effects of Neulasta; however, I've never heard of anything indicating Benadryl was a causative agent for breast cancer.

By the way, it worked for the spine/bone pain, etc from Neulasta.
  • chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    benadryl
    I haven't seen any posts about the links between benadryl and breast cancer. I in fact get benadryl every week when getting my taxol treatments to avoid an allergic reaction.

Please et me know if you find out more about this. thanks

Chris, NY
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I've never seen anything
    I've never seen anything that links Benadryl to BC. Benadryl is used with many chemos. I was given oral Benadryl with A/C and IV with Taxol
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Less effective
    Hello. I've never heard anything about it causing BC but I did just recently read an article about how some anti-depressants and certain other OTC Drugs.. like Benedryl and Tagamet can render Tamoxifen less effective...You might try googling that . Take care!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I've never
    read anything about Benedryl being linked with cancer of any kind. I'm given Benedryl via iv before my chemo cocktail. I had my 3rd treatment today.
    Char
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Less effective
    Hello. I've never heard anything about it causing BC but I did just recently read an article about how some anti-depressants and certain other OTC Drugs.. like Benedryl and Tagamet can render Tamoxifen less effective...You might try googling that . Take care!

Loaded up with Benadryl during chemo
    My oncology nurses also loaded me up with (to quote my girlfriend) "enough Benadryl to down a cow" before each chemo, AND my oncologist told me to take the OTC Benedryl for the first few nights afterwards, if I couldn't sleep. So I'm very sure there isn't a link between Benadryl and cancer, if oncologists prescribe it so liberally.

But of course I wasn't yet on Tamoxifen when I was doing chemo, and I think Cindy Bear might be hitting on something with that -- I've also read about being careful of taking certain OTC drugs while on Tamoxifen. I remember Tagamet, but don't remember Benadryl. Has anyone else asked their doctor about this?

Traci
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    The only "link" that I can
    The only "link" that I can find is that benadryl can interfere with tamoxifen by inhibiting CYP2D6 (enzyme that converts tamoxifen to its active form). It is listed as a moderate inhibitor. See:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/serms/tamoxifen.jsp

Hope this helps!
  • MerleBee
    MerleBee Member Posts: 49
    Thanks
    I too received Benedryl prior to chemo and I take a sleep aid that contains the same med just about every night. That was why I was concerned about the reference in one of the the threads...I just can't seem to find it. I will ask my Oncologist and post if I learn anything new. Thanks for all the responses.

Merle
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

The only "link" that I can
    The only "link" that I can find is that benadryl can interfere with tamoxifen by inhibiting CYP2D6 (enzyme that converts tamoxifen to its active form). It is listed as a moderate inhibitor. See:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/serms/tamoxifen.jsp

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU, Cypress!
    Just wanted to say what a helpful link this is.

I know I myself haven't paid as much attention as I should since starting Tamoxifen to what OTC medicines I take that may interact with it. This lays it out so clearly, and is just the nudge I need to be more mindful of this.

Thanks very much,

Traci