chemo and pregnacy

LOUSWIFT
LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My pregnant daughter and my grand daughter are planning a trip to visit with my wife and I for about three weeks while her husband is training for the military. I should be on my second Folfox treatment by then. I was wondering if there is any danger to her and my 18 month old grand daughter due to my chemo and having any contact with me? They would be living with us for the three weeks.

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    According to CSN
    The only problem would seem to be your bodily fluids within 48 hours after chemo, in other words, no bleeding, or other bodily fluids should get on your grandchild (um, like we would get our body fluids on our grandchildren). Here is the web page so you can be a little more informed:

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003025-pdf.pdf

go to page 8
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Chemo
    According to my onc, the only danger, was me, catching a cold from my grandchild.
    That the grandchild shouldn't be sucking your on your skin, the first 48 hours after chemo, but other than that, everything would be fine.
    My son, personally doesn't have a problem with me holding his son, and when he's doing the child care (at least past couple of days) I still hold and feed him. If on the other hand your daughter gets misinformed by her girlfriends that your chemo will infect your grandchild, then you will have a problem.
    Be sure and talk to your onc, I talked to my onc and chemo nurses, the only factor was that they not be present during chemo, in case the chemo was touched via accident (mine is done at the outpatient onc unit).
    Can you imagine, all these mothers that have breast cancer, colon, etc., going through chemo, never holding their children???
    But as I said, talk to your onc to allay fears.
    Winter Marie
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    hug them!
    I'm no expert but I can't think of any reason whatsoever. As others said, you may need to protect yourself a little more carefully from kiddy germs. But my feeling is: hug them tight and kiss 'em lots! ! How wonderful that you will have them with you.

Tara
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    taraHK said:

hug them!
    I'm no expert but I can't think of any reason whatsoever. As others said, you may need to protect yourself a little more carefully from kiddy germs. But my feeling is: hug them tight and kiss 'em lots! ! How wonderful that you will have them with you.

Tara

nothing better
    Hugs from my daughters and grand daughters - nothing better in the world I would hate not to be able to get them
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    i
    My moms onc gave us information consistent with herdizziness, but i will add he said to take care when or of she sweAts heavily. MOm has her own bathroom that no one uses which keeps it clean enough for her immune system and then we don't have to keep remembering or reminding the kids of the 48 hour rule.