sleeping difficulties

anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having a great deal of trouble sleeping. I have never been one to fall asleep easily but since diagnosis, I have had such anxiety. My dr gave me antidepressants that seem to have many digestive side effects( I think). Ambian also did not seem to work. My daytime anxiety improved so I was taking xanax only at night. It seems to be giving me terrible heartburn, that wakes me after I fall asleep. I know this is all to be expected, but my anxiety about being able to sleep is causing more trouble than anything else. Any suggestions to someone like me? ann

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    I take a half a xanax and....
    one of those over the counter sleep aids and that really helps. I've had sleep problems my whole life, so if it works for me, it's worth a try.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Ann - i've never been one
    Hi Ann - i've never been one to fall asleep easily, either, and had to get a prescription from my Oncologist to help. Ambien made me feel too weird, and the xanax doesn't help me stay asleep. The prescription I got was for Restoril (check the spelling, though!). It works well & I don't feel groggy all day the next day, either.
    Good luck to you!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Cup of warm milk
    Try a cup of warm milk about 15 min. before you go to bed. May not help, but unless you're lactose intolerant, it can't hurt to try. Years ago, I worked as a CNA and there were a couple of residents who had problems with sleeping even on heavy meds. One night the charge nurse (who was older) decided to try the warm milk as she remembered it as a 'sleeping aide' when she went through her training. It worked great with most and they were taken off the drugs.

I had problems with not being able to get sleep most nights while on Taxol (no problems on A/C). My chemo Dr. gave me Tamazapam (sp?) and it did let me get a few hours of sleep but I had horrible nightmares (I don't usually have nightmares at all) so talked to my PA and she gave me the lowest dosage of Ambien (she knows me well and knows that taking anything is not what I want to do) and told me that it comes in different dosages so if it didn't work we'd up it. It worked quite good.

Talk to your Drs. Try the warm milk. Remember we are all different!

Susan
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Rague said:

Cup of warm milk
    Try a cup of warm milk about 15 min. before you go to bed. May not help, but unless you're lactose intolerant, it can't hurt to try. Years ago, I worked as a CNA and there were a couple of residents who had problems with sleeping even on heavy meds. One night the charge nurse (who was older) decided to try the warm milk as she remembered it as a 'sleeping aide' when she went through her training. It worked great with most and they were taken off the drugs.

I had problems with not being able to get sleep most nights while on Taxol (no problems on A/C). My chemo Dr. gave me Tamazapam (sp?) and it did let me get a few hours of sleep but I had horrible nightmares (I don't usually have nightmares at all) so talked to my PA and she gave me the lowest dosage of Ambien (she knows me well and knows that taking anything is not what I want to do) and told me that it comes in different dosages so if it didn't work we'd up it. It worked quite good.

Talk to your Drs. Try the warm milk. Remember we are all different!

Susan

sometime Motrin PM worked
    sometime Motrin PM worked for me
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    meena1 said:

sometime Motrin PM worked
    sometime Motrin PM worked for me

I can send you an Insurance book
    I can guarantee that will put you to sleep before you finish the 1st page.