starting chemo in 5 days any advice

jan123
jan123 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i am 58 years old and found out in July i have breast cancer never really been sick what is the first treatment like

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Welcome to this site, you
    Welcome to this site, you will receive lots of support, insight, and caring.
    Chemo is very doable for most people. the side effects vary from person to person. Its hard to know what to expect, until you have had your first treatment. What kind of chemo are you having? it is important to hydrate. drink lots of fluids. they give you medications for nausea which really help. Once you have had your first treatment, you will know how your body reacts to chemo. others will right in soon.. sorry you are here but you came to a good place
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Welcome to this site, you
    Welcome to this site, you will receive lots of support, insight, and caring.
    Chemo is very doable for most people. the side effects vary from person to person. Its hard to know what to expect, until you have had your first treatment. What kind of chemo are you having? it is important to hydrate. drink lots of fluids. they give you medications for nausea which really help. Once you have had your first treatment, you will know how your body reacts to chemo. others will right in soon.. sorry you are here but you came to a good place
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hi Jan
    Sorry we had to meet through this site but I'm glad you joined. Most of the ladies, including myself were like you, pretty much healthy until this struck. Gosh, I didn't even swallow anything for a headache. Just didn't like taking anything. Then, bam! Taking all sorts of drugs. That was tough.

Chemo affects folks differently. I'm not sure how many treatments you'll have. As I've mentioned, chemo is cummulative, meaning it might get a bit harder towards the last treaments. For me and many others, I felt fine the day of treatment. It's the 2-4 day you feel puny. You can experience fatigue, maybe nausea, funky metallic taste in your mouth and other bothersome stuff.

I found that I would just rest on my crash day. Once that day past, I would feel better. I took my chemo on Tuesdays (every 3 weeks), and without fail, I would feel it at about noon on Friday. I would leave a little early from work and just go home to relax. then I was good to go by Monday when work started.

Again, everyone's different. Just get plenty of rest when you feel tired, drink lots of water and most importantly, keep the faith! You'll get through this.

Blessings and hugs,

Sylvia
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Welcome to the board
    Welcome to the board Jan...sorry you have to be here.
    Carkris and Slyvia pretty much said it...everyone is different and react to it differently. so its a guessing game of what your gunna get!
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Awww chemo
    Well you've def come to the right place. Sorry that you had to come and visit. FLUIDS are a def. I'd sip on gatorade mainly after treatment. Overhydrated 3-4 days before. What kind of diagnosis do you have?
    Sounds gross, but I was prone to consipation before chemo and during chemo wowowowow. Thought I was going to have to go to the ER for them to pull it out of me. Even though I drank lots of fluids.
    Like everyone says, everybody eacts differently to the chemo. You'll do fine. Come here often and ask questions anytime. Course your onc and nurses are the best advice. We've been there and done it. Good luck and positive energy, prayers are with you. Katz
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Katz77 said:

Awww chemo
    Well you've def come to the right place. Sorry that you had to come and visit. FLUIDS are a def. I'd sip on gatorade mainly after treatment. Overhydrated 3-4 days before. What kind of diagnosis do you have?
    Sounds gross, but I was prone to consipation before chemo and during chemo wowowowow. Thought I was going to have to go to the ER for them to pull it out of me. Even though I drank lots of fluids.
    Like everyone says, everybody eacts differently to the chemo. You'll do fine. Come here often and ask questions anytime. Course your onc and nurses are the best advice. We've been there and done it. Good luck and positive energy, prayers are with you. Katz

Welcome to the most helpful
    Welcome to the most helpful site you'll ever find Jan. Hard to say like the others have stated without knowing what kind of chemo, but my best advise is drink, drink drink plenty of water. Not only does it keep you hydrated, obviously, but it helps flush out the toxins being given to you. Best of luck and it's surprisingly doable.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • pscheer
    pscheer Member Posts: 56 Member
    My first chemo was not bad.
    My first chemo was not bad. The worst part was the fear of the unknown. There are two things to remember. First, it has different effects on everyone. Second, and most important, as long as you tell your oncologist when you have side effects, he or she can help with the side effects.
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, I
    Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, I hope your first chemo goes as smoothly as mine did. It was very do-able. The first one is the scariest and then you'll see their not so bad. Come here often and you will get tons of support, more support than you can possibly imagine. This site saved me!!
    Big Hugs,
    Kari
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Yes, everyone reacts
    Yes, everyone reacts differently so it is hard to predict. After your first treatment you will establish your own pattern which helps in planning your activities. For me days three and four were complete washouts - mostly I stayed in bed. Constipation was another issue as well as mild mouth sores and a funky taste in my mouth. I did have some edema but my treatments were during the very hot weather we had over the summer so that didn't help. The best thing to do is be good to yourself and just roll with it if you have rough days - they WILL pass. Good luck.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Although
    chemo affects everyone different the unknown is somewhat scary. I prepared by drinking lots of water the day before, during and after. I bought foods just in case of diarrhea, nausea, etc. I bought Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash and use plastic silverware. I found that eating frequent light meals helps with acid reflux. My worse side effects have been bloating and weight gain from the steroids. I've had no nausea. Mild diarrhea is helped by Immodium. The onco nurses are usually well adept at noticing anything going wrong. They really monitor quite closely the first chemo. Tomorrow I go for my 3rd round. Hang in there and let us know how you do. This is a great site and I'm sorry I forgot to welcome you here.
    {{hugs}} Char