Port a cath

anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
When is the portacath inplanted--at the time of masectomy or later? My oncologist said it is up to the surgeon. Should I make a suggestion? ann

Comments

• canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    It can be done later
    You can have at the time of surgery or later. My was done later
  • shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    My tumor was too large for
    My tumor was too large for surgery, so I was scheduled for the chemo first...they put the port in and had chemo a little time later giving time to heal
  • MomMichelle
    MomMichelle Member Posts: 93
    I had my mastectomy first
    I had my mastectomy first (we thought it was just DCIS originally). After the biopsy of the mastectomy, there was a small invasion which we didn't think would require chemo but ended up we choose to do the chemo. I think if you know you are having chemo up front, it could be done whenever.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Before, During or After
    I had mine put in 2 months before surgery as had to do adjunct chemo to shrink and get margins. It was put in Aug 25,'09 and chemo started on Aug 26, '09.
    It depends on individaul needs. Discuss with your surgeon and chemo Dr. as to the best plan for you.

Susan
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    I had mine installed after I
    I had mine installed after I had my lumpectomies(2). It worked like a charm! Made infusions easy. Good luck with your journey.
    BL
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Port
    I had surgery then chemo, so port was placed in at time of mast. Opposite side of mast. General surgeon did this. Saved extra time and expenience of coming back. Talk w ur surgeon. They use a c-arm (x-ray) for port placement. Some op to have port removed in office under local, some op for hosp for removal. I finished chemo Oct 09, and herceptin Sept 10. I'm going to keep my port for at least another yr. I'm high risk for return. Sounds dumb, but it's my lucky charm now. One yr cancer free. Plus I was a diffucult insert. Got a pneumo out of the deal. It was just a small one. So beaware that its a poss. complication. Best to you, Katz
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Katz77 said:

Port
    I had surgery then chemo, so port was placed in at time of mast. Opposite side of mast. General surgeon did this. Saved extra time and expenience of coming back. Talk w ur surgeon. They use a c-arm (x-ray) for port placement. Some op to have port removed in office under local, some op for hosp for removal. I finished chemo Oct 09, and herceptin Sept 10. I'm going to keep my port for at least another yr. I'm high risk for return. Sounds dumb, but it's my lucky charm now. One yr cancer free. Plus I was a diffucult insert. Got a pneumo out of the deal. It was just a small one. So beaware that its a poss. complication. Best to you, Katz

My port has been in for a
    My port has been in for a bit over a year and we are not talking about it coming out any time soon. As I'm IBC odds aren't great that there will not be a reoccurance - so to me having it staying there is sort of a 'life saver' ready to be used IF needed. The minor inconvience of going every 4 weeks for flush is nothing compared to having it ready 'just in case'. Put in on Aug 25,'09 - started chemo the next day and had the last chemo on Jan 28, '10.

Susan