aromatase inhibitors - managing side effects??

pattic
pattic Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have undergone surgery, chemo, radaiation, and have one more herceptin infusion in 3 weeks. I was taken off of Tamoxifen because I was unable to tolerate the side effects, specifically the bone and joint pain and stiffness. After recently having my ovary removed (lost the first one at 23) I start Femara in about 2 weeks, and I am more than apprehensive. I have read up on Femara and it would seem that I am in for more of the same as far as bone and joint pain. Has anyone found a way to manage these side effects. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Sorry
    I quit taking it after 7 months cause I couldn't stand the side effects. I have however seen posts from other women on here who've done just fine with it. I don't know if it follows that problems with one will mean problems with another, but I'm sure you'll be hearing from others who've had positive results with femera.
    Good luck and please don't take my results are the norm.

marge
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    No problems with it.
    I've been on Femara for a little over 7 months now and have had no problems at all. No pain, no hot flashes/night sweats - nothing.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Rague said:

No problems with it.
    I've been on Femara for a little over 7 months now and have had no problems at all. No pain, no hot flashes/night sweats - nothing.

I take Arimidex.
    I have had no obvious side effects.

Roseann
  • pattic
    pattic Member Posts: 23
    Rague said:

No problems with it.

Had you been on Tamoxifen at any time?
    Dear Rague,

If so, did you have any problems with that?

Thank you for your positive feedback - it truely gives me hope!
  • Rague
    pattic said:

Had you been on Tamoxifen at any time?
    Dear Rague,

If so, did you have any problems with that?

Thank you for your positive feedback - it truely gives me hope!

Just Femara
    I've only been on Femara - that's what Dr. T wanted me on if I could financially - thanks to being through VA - I can easily.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Rague said:

Just Femara
    I've only been on Femara - that's what Dr. T wanted me on if I could financially - thanks to being through VA - I can easily.

arimidex
    I was tired after taking the drug in the AM--very unusually pooped. I switched to taking it in the evening and I've been fine. Also, had some neck pain at first. I had my doc check my vit d level (at my physician sister's suggestion). Level was very low. Saw an endocrinologist and she upped my vit d intake until we normalized levels. Now neck pain is rare. Yeah! So don't give up as side effects are better than cancer's side effects for sure!
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member

arimidex
    I was tired after taking the drug in the AM--very unusually pooped. I switched to taking it in the evening and I've been fine. Also, had some neck pain at first. I had my doc check my vit d level (at my physician sister's suggestion). Level was very low. Saw an endocrinologist and she upped my vit d intake until we normalized levels. Now neck pain is rare. Yeah! So don't give up as side effects are better than cancer's side effects for sure!

Hi. I've been on Femara for
    Hi. I've been on Femara for three months so far and have had no problems. I never took Tamoxifen as I am post menopausal. I was scared to start also but have been peasantly surprised so far. I also take mine at bedtime. Good Luck.
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    side effects
    I take arimidex and for the first 6 months I had horrible bone and joint pain, nothing helped. At work, I could hardly stand. Then we took a family trip to DC and I walked and walked like never before.
    Every day I was exhausted and my skin was grayish and I had to take a long nap before going out to dinner. Surprisingly, when I got home I noticed that the bone and joint pain had diminished SOOO much. Now, I just walk and walk, ----works best when I can go somewhere fun and with family or a close friend---they seem to give me the spirit to do it. Who knows--maybe a coincidence, but it seems to help me.
  • Rague
    GayleMc said:

Hi. I've been on Femara for
    Hi. I've been on Femara for three months so far and have had no problems. I never took Tamoxifen as I am post menopausal. I was scared to start also but have been peasantly surprised so far. I also take mine at bedtime. Good Luck.

Morning
    I take mine in the morning. I usually fall asleep on the couch watching TV at night before I go to bed and would probably forget to take it IF I took it at night. I have a bottle that has the script info on it and every Thursday after I take the last one in it, I put 7 more from my 30 day bottle so that all I ever have to count is up to 7 to be sure rather or not I remembered to take.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    lizzie17 said:

side effects
    I take arimidex and for the first 6 months I had horrible bone and joint pain, nothing helped. At work, I could hardly stand. Then we took a family trip to DC and I walked and walked like never before.
    Every day I was exhausted and my skin was grayish and I had to take a long nap before going out to dinner. Surprisingly, when I got home I noticed that the bone and joint pain had diminished SOOO much. Now, I just walk and walk, ----works best when I can go somewhere fun and with family or a close friend---they seem to give me the spirit to do it. Who knows--maybe a coincidence, but it seems to help me.

I was on Tamoxifen
    for 15 months and now on Arimidex for 3 months. Even I had several side effects from Tamoxifen (hot flashes, fatigue, insomnia) eventually my body adapted to Tamoxifen. I have been experiencing more side effects from Arimidex which is very similar to Femara (anxiety, constipation, swelling). I am taking Vitamin D and Ca + walking every day to avoid joint pain. I guess walking and swimming can help with joint pain. Somebody mention supplements for joint pain.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    lizzie17 said:

side effects

Also on Arimidex
    I have been on Arimidex since June. I take it before bedtime. My only complaint has been some stiffness of one ankle and pain occasionally in the other (just before it rains). I saw my Onc last week and I am now enrolled in a clinical trial of Glucosamine and Chondritin for the next six mos. They say that, so far, they have found good results in decreasing the joint stiffness and pain that many who take Arimidex experience. They will be monitoring my blood glucose levels since this supplement is sometimes known to increase blood sugar. I have a history of diabetes in my family so I will be watching this carefully. Don't want to start another problem if I don't need to.Otherwise, I am feeling good and keeping busy.
    Hugs,K
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    femara
    For me, the side effects from femara were horrendous. I have been on it for 6 months and each month was progressively worse. My onc. stopped the drug and said we would discuss it when I see him next week. I have done so much research on this which made me feel better, since so many women suffer from the side effects. I will do the best I can and always remember that I don't have to suffer.

Thanks for sharing,
    Jean
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    jphilpo said:

femara
    For me, the side effects from femara were horrendous. I have been on it for 6 months and each month was progressively worse. My onc. stopped the drug and said we would discuss it when I see him next week. I have done so much research on this which made me feel better, since so many women suffer from the side effects. I will do the best I can and always remember that I don't have to suffer.

Thanks for sharing,
    Jean

While we are on the subject,
    While we are on the subject, I take Femara and as I said, have been lucky with side effects. However, I have noticed that I am feeling very fatigued again. Could Femara be doing this after 3 mos. I've been out of rads since June, but have been working six day weeks since then. I'm thinking enough is enoug and I may have to demand they cut my hours back. Thanks for any help.