New & Diagnosed with low grade inductal carcinoma

survgal
survgal Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Doctor called with the news. Low grade inductal carcinoma. Problem is, radiologist gave me a needle aspiration instead of a core as she requested. Doctor wants me to go back for a core.
I do not want to do that, I want both breasts removed. Am I jumping the gun?
She said that wasn't a good decision right now before having an MRI and core.
Whats the MRI for? SHe said core is nedded to make sure it is what the pathologist said.
What is usually involved with low grade inductal carcinoma.
Chemo, No not again! I had 6 months of chemo for colon cancer three years ago.
Just got divorced today!
Sorry for my rambling. I am soooo upset. My kids will be so distressed and sad!

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Welcome to the board,
    I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Maybe you can take a few days to clear your head. You do have allot on your plate right now. I have Inflammatory breast cancer and I am going through chemo first then surgery then Rads. That is a pretty standard procedure. Why don't you want chemo? It does benefit you by increasing your chances of beating cancer. I wish you all the best. And we are all here for you any time. It does help to talk to others that know how you feel and what you are going through. Good luck breath deep your not alone. Kay
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    I'm so sorry you have to be here
    but welcome anyway. I had grade 2, stage 3a, invasive ductal carcimona and opted to have a lumpectomy and chemo and rads. You're getting hit with so much today perhaps you need to take a breath and just sit still a minute. I think your doc's advice is sound. You don't want to make a decision without having all the info and options in front of you. You just may end up making the same decision, but doing so with all the facts seems like a wise choice. It's all so scary, as you know and we all just want it over with when we get the news. Trust you doc, if he/she is someone you feel comfortable with and take a little time to get the MRI and second biopsy done.
    Feel free to come here anytime. The people here are a wealth of information and support.
    marge
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Survgal
    I'm sorry you're feeling a bit overwhelmed. Please don't assume the worse before you have all the information. I had a MRI assisted stereostatic biopsy. I'm not sure if that's the same as a core biopsy. You've already survived colon cancer and that is wonderful! My sister has DCIS for the second time (first time was 9 years ago) and she faces rads again but no chemo. I had invasive lobular carcinoma 6.1cm in size and had to have mastectomy. I also had LCIS in other breast so opted for a bilateral mastectomy. I'm the 5th in my family with bc. You don't want to have mastectomy until you weigh all your options. I'm currently in treatment with chemo. Hoping you get the answers you need to make an informed decision.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138

I'm so sorry you have to be here
    but welcome anyway. I had grade 2, stage 3a, invasive ductal carcimona and opted to have a lumpectomy and chemo and rads. You're getting hit with so much today perhaps you need to take a breath and just sit still a minute. I think your doc's advice is sound. You don't want to make a decision without having all the info and options in front of you. You just may end up making the same decision, but doing so with all the facts seems like a wise choice. It's all so scary, as you know and we all just want it over with when we get the news. Trust you doc, if he/she is someone you feel comfortable with and take a little time to get the MRI and second biopsy done.
    Feel free to come here anytime. The people here are a wealth of information and support.
    marge

So sorry you have to be here
    So sorry you have to be here but welcome. I was diagnosised with stage 1 grade 1 IDC in Jan. of this year. I had a lumpectomy, 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan, 30 rounds of rads. I did very well through the chemo tired feeling was about the worst of it, that and chemo brain. I am now taking Tamoxifen for 5 yrs. I am doing really well burned a little with the rads but not bad. I had an MRI before surgery, it is to make sure there is no other tiny spots of cancer in either breast. It was a little uncomfortable not painful at all but I had no problems with it. I agree with the others take a breath and do not decide anything just yet.I know getting the diagnosis is mind boggling. I am sure you will get some very good advice here. Talk with your Onc. and see what makes you feel best about the situation. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    IDC
    I too was dx'd w/IDC, low grade stage 1 in dec 2007. I had a double mastectomy after a core biopsy because I was treated w/radiation and chemo for Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1989 and 1994. Chemo would have helped my odds by 2%. Radiation was not an option since I all ready had rads(that's the cause of the BC).
    Since you had chemo once, the decisions are much harder for patients like you and me. My chemo regimine had cardiac and pulmonary implications. Yours may have too.
    Hopefully your docs will do oncotype testing to determine if chemo is even recommended.
    Hang in there. I know how you feel getting hit with 2 differnet dx's.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    cathyp said:

IDC
    I too was dx'd w/IDC, low grade stage 1 in dec 2007. I had a double mastectomy after a core biopsy because I was treated w/radiation and chemo for Hodgkins Lymphoma in 1989 and 1994. Chemo would have helped my odds by 2%. Radiation was not an option since I all ready had rads(that's the cause of the BC).
    Since you had chemo once, the decisions are much harder for patients like you and me. My chemo regimine had cardiac and pulmonary implications. Yours may have too.
    Hopefully your docs will do oncotype testing to determine if chemo is even recommended.
    Hang in there. I know how you feel getting hit with 2 differnet dx's.

All I Know
    All I know is that my heart goes out to you at this time and I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I think the advice to get as much info as you can before you make a decision is a good one.

Hugs, Sally
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    xxoo
    Hi and Welcome,

I had early DCIS in one breast and opted for a double mastectomy.

Please visit my website to see views on mastectomy vs. lumpectomy. Both are good options it just depends on what is right for you.

I know this is a terrible time. I'm a mom too.

You'll be okay. I promise.

www.mymastectomyonline.com has photos and stories to go along with them.

Please keep in touch.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom