Grandmother starts chemo

abbimom
abbimom Member Posts: 87 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My grandmother has breast cancer that has spread to many parts in her body. She will start chemo on Friday and the name of the drug is TAXOTERE. iF anyone has been on this please contact me so I can let my grandmother know what to expect. I had tongue cancer 10 years ago but I was on a different chemo. Thanks

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    So sorry about your grandmother
    I was on 6 rounds of Taxotere, along with Adriamycin and Cytoxan, so I'm not sure which drug caused which side effect. All I can say is, I felt really lucky in that my side effects were minimal compared to many of the other brave ladies here. I hope your grandmother does well and sails through this.

Hugs, Renee
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Hello and welcome
    Im on taxotere carboplatin herceptin. Taxotere will make her hair fall out. It causes fatigue, Is she getting the neulasta shot the day after? This shot can cause some bone pain and muscle cramps. They watch closely when they start this drug because some people have had reactions to it. I have not had to many problems with it. I take Tylenol for the bone pain. You can get her some ensure or some thing like that for extra protein that helps. You can get mouth sores also. The alcohol free mouthwashes helps allot with that. Vitamins help also. I am sure there will be others that have more advise. I wish your gramma all the best let us know how she does. You are both in my prayers Take care Kay
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    website
    You can go to chemocare.com to look up info on any particular drug. It will give you any other names the drug is known by, uses, common and uncommon side effects. This site is also a very good source of "been there, done that" info.

Glad your grandmom has a person like you on her side. seof
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Sorry about
    your grandmother. I'm currently getting Taxotere and Cytoxan. I've had 2 treatments and the 3rd is next week. My hair fell out day 15 after 1st treatment. I've had no nausea or constipation. I drink lots of water and use Biotene mouthwash & toothpaste. The side effects I do have are bloating accompanied with weight gain and acne on my face and bald head. I also use plastic silverware. I also get the Neulasta shot the day after chemo. The bone aches start about 3 days later but are controlled with extra strength Tylenol. As someone mentioned when the onco nurses start they watch very carefully for any adverse side effects. I'm 61 and ER/PR+ and HER2-.
    Char
  • abbimom
    abbimom Member Posts: 87 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Sorry about
    your grandmother. I'm currently getting Taxotere and Cytoxan. I've had 2 treatments and the 3rd is next week. My hair fell out day 15 after 1st treatment. I've had no nausea or constipation. I drink lots of water and use Biotene mouthwash & toothpaste. The side effects I do have are bloating accompanied with weight gain and acne on my face and bald head. I also use plastic silverware. I also get the Neulasta shot the day after chemo. The bone aches start about 3 days later but are controlled with extra strength Tylenol. As someone mentioned when the onco nurses start they watch very carefully for any adverse side effects. I'm 61 and ER/PR+ and HER2-.
    Char

thanks
    thank you everyone for all your responses. this was my first discussion board and it so wonderful to have so much support here. thank you
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hello and welcome
    Im on taxotere carboplatin herceptin. Taxotere will make her hair fall out. It causes fatigue, Is she getting the neulasta shot the day after? This shot can cause some bone pain and muscle cramps. They watch closely when they start this drug because some people have had reactions to it. I have not had to many problems with it. I take Tylenol for the bone pain. You can get her some ensure or some thing like that for extra protein that helps. You can get mouth sores also. The alcohol free mouthwashes helps allot with that. Vitamins help also. I am sure there will be others that have more advise. I wish your gramma all the best let us know how she does. You are both in my prayers Take care Kay

Sending prayers for your
    Sending prayers for your grandmother.

Hugs, Jan
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    abbimom said:

thanks
    thank you everyone for all your responses. this was my first discussion board and it so wonderful to have so much support here. thank you

I just finish chemo with
    I just finish chemo with taxotere and cytoxan. My hair fell out around the 2nd treatment. I've had minimum nausea. Make sure she drinks plenty of water and I also drank the ensure. The day after chemo I had the Neulasta shot which makes your bones ache for a few days but advil relieved the pain. One accident happened that the taxotere leaked from the IV on to my skin (wrist area) which caused a chemical burn that I am still dealing with almost 2 months later. I will keep your family in my prayers
    Sparkle
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    sparkle1 said:

I just finish chemo with
    I just finish chemo with taxotere and cytoxan. My hair fell out around the 2nd treatment. I've had minimum nausea. Make sure she drinks plenty of water and I also drank the ensure. The day after chemo I had the Neulasta shot which makes your bones ache for a few days but advil relieved the pain. One accident happened that the taxotere leaked from the IV on to my skin (wrist area) which caused a chemical burn that I am still dealing with almost 2 months later. I will keep your family in my prayers
    Sparkle

I also was on taxotere and
    I also was on taxotere and cytoxan.
    I didnt do so good on it until they lowered the dose then it wasnt as bad.
    I experienced fevers, mouth peeling instead of mouth sores, very tired no energy, bones really painful just to name a few side effects.
    I will be prayin for your grandma...shes lucky to have you!