Chemo Burn

sparkle1
sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
During my 3rd treatment of chemo, I received a burn because the medicine dripped out of the IV unto my skin. My skin did not turn black until about a week later. It has now been over six weeks since this happened. I contacted the doctor (and she saw it during my fourth and final chemo treatment) and told me to put aloe and vitamin E on the spot and the skin would return to it natural color. This has not happened yet. Has anyone experience this? Can any one suggest anything I could use to remove the burned spot. It is on my wrist and very ugly. Any ideas?
Sparkle

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Sparkle
    how awful! This has not happened to me and I certainly hope it doesn't. I've had 2 chemo treatments so far and the 3rd is next week. I will be having 4-6. I certainly hope that continued use of the Vit E and the aloe cream works to restore your skin. I'm surprised that your dr didn't recommend an antibiotic cream. Will keep you in my thoughts.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    sorry
    I am sorry this has happened to you. You might ask the chemo nurses for ideas. They are trained in how to make patients as comfortable as possible and sometimes they have tips the Drs. don't have. I would also say that it may take more time. After radiation burns it can take months for the skin to return to normal. When surgery is done after chemo some Drs. like to wait more than 6 weeks to allow the body to recover from chemo. Remember that your body is recovering from the effects of chemo on the whole system, not just the spot on your wrist. It may take longer than normal to heal itself.

This is just my opinion, as always, take your questions to your Dr.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, seof
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    seof said:

sorry
    I am sorry this has happened to you. You might ask the chemo nurses for ideas. They are trained in how to make patients as comfortable as possible and sometimes they have tips the Drs. don't have. I would also say that it may take more time. After radiation burns it can take months for the skin to return to normal. When surgery is done after chemo some Drs. like to wait more than 6 weeks to allow the body to recover from chemo. Remember that your body is recovering from the effects of chemo on the whole system, not just the spot on your wrist. It may take longer than normal to heal itself.

This is just my opinion, as always, take your questions to your Dr.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, seof

Wow .. there is no EXCUSE for this happening to you
    during chemo treatments. I would contact Ono have HER look at the burn area, again and ask her for a referral to derm doctor at her expense -- I am so sorry that this happened to you .. Please allow her to fix this for you - Doctor's responsibility!

It kills me to hear this type of thing .. as I imagine what this poison is doing to our bodies .. internally ...! YIKES

Love, Strength and Courge:

Vicki Sam

Serioiusly, get 2nd opinioin .. go to derm on Onc's dime!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Sparkle
    how awful! This has not happened to me and I certainly hope it doesn't. I've had 2 chemo treatments so far and the 3rd is next week. I will be having 4-6. I certainly hope that continued use of the Vit E and the aloe cream works to restore your skin. I'm surprised that your dr didn't recommend an antibiotic cream. Will keep you in my thoughts.
    {{hugs}} Char

I didn't have chemo, and, I
    I didn't have chemo, and, I am so sorry this happened to you. Never heard of this. Hoping your oncologist can help you with the burn. Take care!