High B.P. & dizziness Has any one else had this

smalldoggroomer
smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
For the last two days I have woke up very dizzy. I sit up in bed and fall over!! Yesterday my B.P. was 171/105 when this happened. I thought that was it. So I called my PC and he seen me yesterday. Gave me more meds to bring Pb down when it goes high. I am on Pb meds I take at night. It happened again at 2 this morning but bp was only 154/88 that's high but not enough to make me dizzy I didn't think. Took a pill anyway. Got up at 5:30 still dizzy. Pb 140/79 What the heck is going on. Has any one else had this problem? Can Chemo cause this? I plan on calling my oncologist today. But any advise or info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance Kay

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    dizzy
    Hello Kay,

I have been dizzy every since chemo in 99, sometimes it is worse than other times. When it is really bad I have taken physical therapy for it which has been helpful, given me tips to help manage it. I read somewhere once that some chemo's cause the hairs in our inner ears to stop moving like they should which results in a lessening of our hearing and an increase of dizziness. I would be sure to tell your doctor it is still causing you issues, I hope it clears up for you soon.

RE
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Kay I do believe chemo can
    Kay I do believe chemo can raise BP. I also got dizzy when I was doing chemo but not to the degree you have described. Please let us know what your onc has to say. Oh the joys of chemo!
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    natly15 said:

Kay I do believe chemo can raise BP. I also got dizzy when I was doing chemo but not to the degree you have described. Please let us know what your onc has to say. Oh the joys of chemo!

I'm certainly no expert,
    but it could be that a change in your bp meds could be in order. How long have you taken your bp medication? Sometimes, it just stops working, and you have to start something else. I will say that 140/79 really isn't that high. I've had bp issues long before I had bc, and I never had a symptom. You're lucky that you do.

Hope you feel better soon!
    survies
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    I haven't had dizzy spells.
    I haven't had dizzy spells. But, my bp which is always a steady 120/72 usually has been all over the board since chemo, as high as 180/82 or so. Pisses me off.

Take care, Cindy
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    No, I haven't had this, but,
    No, I haven't had this, but, please contact your oncologist.

Hugs, Jan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Kay,
    Sorry I don't have any advice. Hope you are feeling better and hope that you got in touch with your oncologist. Let us know what they said. Hugs, Jean
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Thanks everyone,
    I have seen my PC. And he gave me some more meds that will bring BP down when it spikes like that. I also called my Oncologist and talk to the nurse. She said she didn't think it would be from the chemo. But to keep a journal and talk to the Dr on the 21st when I have my appointment. I think the chemo is causing my BP to fluctuate. thus causing the dizziness. Thanks every body I really appreciate it. Kay
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

Thanks everyone,
    I have seen my PC. And he gave me some more meds that will bring BP down when it spikes like that. I also called my Oncologist and talk to the nurse. She said she didn't think it would be from the chemo. But to keep a journal and talk to the Dr on the 21st when I have my appointment. I think the chemo is causing my BP to fluctuate. thus causing the dizziness. Thanks every body I really appreciate it. Kay

Kay
    sorry to hear you're having problems with elevated bp. I saw my PCP today and through chemo and every week inbetween my bp has been excellent (116/68 - 128/80). However, since I've been on bp meds (Avalide) I have to sit a moment when I first wake up or bend over. Any sudden movement can make me dizzy or off balance. I started taking bp meds 10 years ago after gaining a lot of weight during menopause. I do have balance issues and do pt but that is due to my osteoarthritis in my spine. Wishing you feel better soon.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Kay
    sorry to hear you're having problems with elevated bp. I saw my PCP today and through chemo and every week inbetween my bp has been excellent (116/68 - 128/80). However, since I've been on bp meds (Avalide) I have to sit a moment when I first wake up or bend over. Any sudden movement can make me dizzy or off balance. I started taking bp meds 10 years ago after gaining a lot of weight during menopause. I do have balance issues and do pt but that is due to my osteoarthritis in my spine. Wishing you feel better soon.
    {{hugs}} Char

I get dizzy sometimes, My BP
    I get dizzy sometimes, My BP was really low though. probably too low. It is worse when I get up, if I do it too quickly. I have had peripheral neuropathy, so I wonder if it is an effect on the autonomic nervous system which controls BP. My doctors would prob say I was nuts but the neurologist said this can happen, although my BP was fine at the appointment. It also may have contributed to the severe GI symptoms I had. I dont think they know everything about these drugs and it affects everyone so differently. hopefully this is just a temorary thing and will improve soon.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    carkris said:

I get dizzy sometimes, My BP
    I get dizzy sometimes, My BP was really low though. probably too low. It is worse when I get up, if I do it too quickly. I have had peripheral neuropathy, so I wonder if it is an effect on the autonomic nervous system which controls BP. My doctors would prob say I was nuts but the neurologist said this can happen, although my BP was fine at the appointment. It also may have contributed to the severe GI symptoms I had. I dont think they know everything about these drugs and it affects everyone so differently. hopefully this is just a temorary thing and will improve soon.

I'm with RE and the others .. I 've been dizzy and blond for
    years .. however, since Chemo -- I have the actual side efforts .. that why I don't drive much, .. Also my blood pressure has been 200/110 or just about there for 5 months ...I do drop down to 185/98 .. depending on the time of day .. I now keep journal tracking my blood pressure .. and if I don't get down ... my doctors want to put me on medication ... the first batch of medication, I threw away .. I thought I could control my HIGH blood pressure on my own -- having done a little research, I now realize this is nothing to fool around with!

Silly me ...

VickiSam
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    natly15 said:

I didn't have chemo, but, I
    I didn't have chemo, but, I have read where it can be a side effect. So sorry this is happening to you. Let us know what your doctor says.

Hugs, Leeza