Diagnosed with "Triple Negative" Breast Cancer Stage 2b with cancerous lymph nodes

jchristina
jchristina Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had this particular breast cancer and if so, did you do chemo first before surgery or after? I went for several opinions and I haven't if doing chemo first is better for "triple negative" patients????

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    What do they want to do?
    My sister had it and had a lumpectomy. I think if she had it to do over again she would have had a mastectomy because it did come back... She did the chemo( ACT) and radiation.
    Where do you live? Are you near a major cancer center?
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    my experience
    I did not have the same diagnosis, but my Oncologist did chemo before surgery because it allows the Dr. to see if the chemo is effective. I had a very noticeable lump, so it was immediately evident that chemo was working (tumor shrank to half its size in 3 weeks). Had the tumor been removed first, it would have required more "guesswork" or reliance on statistics and probability rather than empirical evidence that those particular drugs were definitely working on my particular body. I had more chemo after surgery,too, but that was the Drs. reasoning, and it makes sense to me.

Hope this is helpful, seof
  • jchristina
    Mama G said:

What do they want to do?
    My sister had it and had a lumpectomy. I think if she had it to do over again she would have had a mastectomy because it did come back... She did the chemo( ACT) and radiation.
    Where do you live? Are you near a major cancer center?

I am opting for mastectomy
    I am opting for mastectomy and live in NJ. I am considering treatment in Cancer Instit. of NJ or at Fox Chase in Phili.
  • jchristina
    seof said:

my experience
    I did not have the same diagnosis, but my Oncologist did chemo before surgery because it allows the Dr. to see if the chemo is effective. I had a very noticeable lump, so it was immediately evident that chemo was working (tumor shrank to half its size in 3 weeks). Had the tumor been removed first, it would have required more "guesswork" or reliance on statistics and probability rather than empirical evidence that those particular drugs were definitely working on my particular body. I had more chemo after surgery,too, but that was the Drs. reasoning, and it makes sense to me.

Seof, your information is
    Seof, your information is very helpful. Thank you!
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    seof said:

my experience

Have triple negative breast cancer
    I have triple negative breast and like the post my experience my oncologist did chemo before surgery also. As he explained to me this would allow them to see if the chemo will work on the tumor. I had a large tumor with no lymph node involvement. 6 chemo treatments and the tumor shrank completely. When i went in for surgery there was not evidence of a tumor. If you have surgery first and they remove the tumor, they have no idea if the chemo is effective. Chemotherapy is the only treatment at this time that is effective on triple negative breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy and am now in radiation therapy. That was what my oncologist explained to my the reasons behind doing chemo first, which made complete sense, and since i saw the results it made even more sense.

hope this helps you
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    triple negative, stage IIIc inflammatory breast cancer
    i went through chemo first - common with inflammatory breast cancer - had 18 weeks of taxotere and cytoxan, then 12 weeks of adriamyacin and cytoxan. lymph nodes were very involved, and chemo has shrunk them, but not much results on the breast. am having mastectomy tomorrow.

important to remember, we are all unique - even someone with your exact diagnosis could have different experience. i hope you have a good team that gives you the best treatment possible for you. good luck to you!
  • reeseslover1234
    reeseslover1234 Member Posts: 87
    Triple Negative
    Hi jchristina,

My name is Reese and I was diagnosed in Aug., 2009 with Triple Negative, Stage 2A, Grade 3. If you don't know, Grade 3 means its highly aggressive. I don't mean to sound like you don't know anything about it, but I knew nothing until I started talking to others on here after I was just about finished with chemo.

I had surgery first, then I did six rounds of chemo (Taxotere and Cytoxan) every 3 weeks. My surgeon told me it didn't matter whether I had a lumpectomy or mastectomy, that women did just as well either way. I chose the mastectomy because I didn't want to have radiation. I was not aware at the time of diagnosis that it was actually Triple Negative (TN-abbreviated), so I'm glad I went ahead and chose the mastectomy. Other women on here had chemo first and then whichever surgery, so it's really personal preference or your docs advice.

Statistics for TN can be overwhelming, so don't let it scare you, but do some research and talk to others on this site. Another site that I just love is www.breastcancer.org. They have different threads for each strain (if you will) of BC and you can "jump to a forum" to find info and discussions on all of them.

I'm sorry if I droned on and on, but I would have liked someone to have told me some of this.
    I hope everything goes well for you and please let us know how you are doing and what you decide. We are a very loving, caring group of women. We "sisters" really stick together.

Big hugs for you,

Reese
  • jchristina
    beetle25 said:

Have triple negative breast cancer
    I have triple negative breast and like the post my experience my oncologist did chemo before surgery also. As he explained to me this would allow them to see if the chemo will work on the tumor. I had a large tumor with no lymph node involvement. 6 chemo treatments and the tumor shrank completely. When i went in for surgery there was not evidence of a tumor. If you have surgery first and they remove the tumor, they have no idea if the chemo is effective. Chemotherapy is the only treatment at this time that is effective on triple negative breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy and am now in radiation therapy. That was what my oncologist explained to my the reasons behind doing chemo first, which made complete sense, and since i saw the results it made even more sense.

hope this helps you

OMG, I can't believe how many people have this "triple negative"! I am so glad to hear these comments as it comes from real people that have been through this. This is now making more sense. So glad to hear your at the end of this journey. Wish you the best!
  • heidijez said:

i went through chemo first - common with inflammatory breast cancer - had 18 weeks of taxotere and cytoxan, then 12 weeks of adriamyacin and cytoxan. lymph nodes were very involved, and chemo has shrunk them, but not much results on the breast. am having mastectomy tomorrow.

important to remember, we are all unique - even someone with your exact diagnosis could have different experience. i hope you have a good team that gives you the best treatment possible for you. good luck to you!

Best wishes tomorrow, heidi
    heidi,

I wish you well tomorrow. You are so right. We are all unique and what may work for some, might not for others.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Many hugs,

Reese
  • jchristina

Triple Negative
    Hi jchristina,

My name is Reese and I was diagnosed in Aug., 2009 with Triple Negative, Stage 2A, Grade 3. If you don't know, Grade 3 means its highly aggressive. I don't mean to sound like you don't know anything about it, but I knew nothing until I started talking to others on here after I was just about finished with chemo.

I had surgery first, then I did six rounds of chemo (Taxotere and Cytoxan) every 3 weeks. My surgeon told me it didn't matter whether I had a lumpectomy or mastectomy, that women did just as well either way. I chose the mastectomy because I didn't want to have radiation. I was not aware at the time of diagnosis that it was actually Triple Negative (TN-abbreviated), so I'm glad I went ahead and chose the mastectomy. Other women on here had chemo first and then whichever surgery, so it's really personal preference or your docs advice.

Statistics for TN can be overwhelming, so don't let it scare you, but do some research and talk to others on this site. Another site that I just love is www.breastcancer.org. They have different threads for each strain (if you will) of BC and you can "jump to a forum" to find info and discussions on all of them.

I'm sorry if I droned on and on, but I would have liked someone to have told me some of this.
    I hope everything goes well for you and please let us know how you are doing and what you decide. We are a very loving, caring group of women. We "sisters" really stick together.

Big hugs for you,

Reese

Back at you Reese
    Forgot to mention I am also Grade 3 and completely understand how serious this is. I have researched the topic and when I discovered there were no other treatment options other than chemo, my stomach dropped to the floor. After more research and doctor consuls, I have to believe that chemo is also very effective for this kind of cancer. I am petrified of what is ahead but willing to go into battle. Thanks so much!
  • jchristina
    heidijez said:

Good luck Heidi!
    Thank you for sharing your story. I will say a prayer for you tonight for a successful surgery and recovery. All the best.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    TN
    I too am triple negative. I had a mastectomy 2 years ago with no radiation or chemo at that time, but reconstruction with an implant. It came back recently with an 8cm. tumor under my mastectomy scar. I had chemo first (4 A/C; 4 Taxol), which shrunk the tumor to less than 1 cm. Then another mastectomy in the same breast to remove the implant and more tissue than the last time. I start radiation tomorrow. As other ladies said, the chemo first was to see if chemo worked, which it did, and to shrink the tumor prior to surgery. While I had major doubts prior to starting chemo, I now realize that it was the right course of treatment at the time.
    I too have considered going to Fox Chase. I live about an hour from there. I believe our Meena has been treated there as well.
    Good luck to you - I'm sure you'll do fine. Hugs and prayers -
    Linda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    linpsu said:

TN
    I too am triple negative. I had a mastectomy 2 years ago with no radiation or chemo at that time, but reconstruction with an implant. It came back recently with an 8cm. tumor under my mastectomy scar. I had chemo first (4 A/C; 4 Taxol), which shrunk the tumor to less than 1 cm. Then another mastectomy in the same breast to remove the implant and more tissue than the last time. I start radiation tomorrow. As other ladies said, the chemo first was to see if chemo worked, which it did, and to shrink the tumor prior to surgery. While I had major doubts prior to starting chemo, I now realize that it was the right course of treatment at the time.
    I too have considered going to Fox Chase. I live about an hour from there. I believe our Meena has been treated there as well.
    Good luck to you - I'm sure you'll do fine. Hugs and prayers -
    Linda

bumping this up .. Another triple negative Newbie
    Warrior!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    VickiSam said:

bumping this up .. Another triple negative Newbie
    Warrior!

Bumping for renee1822

Bumping for renee1822