no insurance

breezie
breezie Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all, need a little help/advise for a friend of mine. I'm a Stage III colon cancer survivor NED 1 yr but have a friend who is Stage IV breast...mets to liver which they seem to have cleared up but now mets to brain. She recently lost her job due to company relocation and can't afford the cobra insurance until she becomes eligible for medicare insurance. Anyone have a similar situation or suggestions on where she can get some help. We all know fighting cancer is tough enough without all the added outside stress. Thanks.

Comments

• shy violet
    shy violet Member Posts: 167
    I had no insurance and
    I had no insurance and desperately searched for help...there is a federal program called BCCCP which stands for Breast And Cervical Cancer Program...I was in CA at the time and went to a county clinic for women and found out about it...her onc office may know of it...also many of the research hospitals ie UCSF in CA and Univ of Colorado have private funding and they may be able to help...also with brain cancer she should contact social security and apply for disability and insurance on a presumptive basis asap....it takes a tremendous amount of phone calls and perserverance...also have her contact the local American Cancer Assoc they have a lot of resources...also the oncologist may be able to match her to a clinical trial...the cobra ins was always way out of my affordability...keep me up to date please, love shy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Talk to the Financial Aid
    Talk to the Financial Aid office at the Center being used. Talk to the ACS. Does she happen to be a Veteran? If she is VA is great about covering costs.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Rague said:

Talk to the Financial Aid
    Talk to the Financial Aid office at the Center being used. Talk to the ACS. Does she happen to be a Veteran? If she is VA is great about covering costs.

Is there a large research hospital in your area?
    Most of them have funds available for the uninsured. I live near Yale New Haven Hospital in CT and they have a program. The catch is that you must show inability to pay. I wish you both healing.

Roseann
  • I also had no insurance
    I was in a similar situation I had a job but at the time decided to go without insurance for a year to get caught up with some expenses I had. Of course that's when cancer came knocking.I spoke to an America Cancer Society representative and she told me about the BCCCP program that was mention already. They were able to get me through some testing until I sign up with a local hospital program that allowed to pay monthly payments toward my medical bills(based on income). Having no insurance and worrying about bills was more stressful than trying to deal with cancer :); kinda of; ok maybe not..but you know what I mean.. Again call Acs and they can give you the number to your local BCCCP clinics
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    yes- the BCCP - i also had
    yes- the BCCP - i also had no insurance when i was diagnosed, my husband is a small business owner & our insurance rates doubled on us within a year and we had no choice but to cancel. I didn't qualify for traditional medicaid but their income guidelines are alot less strict for the BCCP. Best of luck to you & your friend :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73
    roseann4 said:

Is there a large research hospital in your area?
    Most of them have funds available for the uninsured. I live near Yale New Haven Hospital in CT and they have a program. The catch is that you must show inability to pay. I wish you both healing.

Roseann

hey roseann
    I live in New Haven but am using St Raphel's for everything. Where are you/ Do you know of any good groups in the area ?
    Wendy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

yes- the BCCP - i also had
    yes- the BCCP - i also had no insurance when i was diagnosed, my husband is a small business owner & our insurance rates doubled on us within a year and we had no choice but to cancel. I didn't qualify for traditional medicaid but their income guidelines are alot less strict for the BCCP. Best of luck to you & your friend :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

I know it sounds different
    from what others have said. I would encourage to ask her relatives and friends to help with COBRA payments while searching for alternative insurance/government program. This way she can continue her treatments and will be able to see the same doctors. If several people contribute a small payments she can afford COBRA payments.I also lost my job in 2009 during treatments and was on COBRA for 10 months. Since government provided subsidy for unemployment workers and in 2009-2010 it costed only 30% of regular COBRA payment. I do not know current regulations but it make sense to check it out.
    New Flower
  • breezie
    breezie Member Posts: 22
    no insurance
    Thanks to all of you who responded. My friend has been in treatment for a year so hopefully the cancer center associated with our hospital has a program that will be of help to her but I will definitely suggest she check out BCCP. Hugs to all.
    breezie
  • canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    I had no insurance
    It took an eight yr fight to get things in order and get a dx. I even had to fight with a head of a program here. I was threaten with fruad charges.I had to email a pic before I was helped. I was told i had nothing .then opsssssssssss came a mamo and biosey in one day yep i have cancer. I had to email the gov of the state. and deal with a social worker that I knew then she did . file for mediciad luckly it came thru fast and i was able to leave that program.then it was a fight to leave because they think there is only there docs to deal with. I thank god i found different that i can talk to now.
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member

I had no insurance and
    I had no insurance and desperately searched for help...there is a federal program called BCCCP which stands for Breast And Cervical Cancer Program...I was in CA at the time and went to a county clinic for women and found out about it...her onc office may know of it...also many of the research hospitals ie UCSF in CA and Univ of Colorado have private funding and they may be able to help...also with brain cancer she should contact social security and apply for disability and insurance on a presumptive basis asap....it takes a tremendous amount of phone calls and perserverance...also have her contact the local American Cancer Assoc they have a lot of resources...also the oncologist may be able to match her to a clinical trial...the cobra ins was always way out of my affordability...keep me up to date please, love shy

BCCCP
    I have BCCCP as well. Its a part of medicaid and mine even covered my eye exam this year and my reading glasses. Check into it, well worth it.