How much time off between chemo and radiation?

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just read Kemosabe's post about starting radiation 09/13 and having had her last chemo 8/24. I thought we got a little "time off" between chemo and radiation? This is less than 3 weeks after the last infusion. That's no break in my mind. I was hoping to recover a little before starting radiation. I want to go visit my grandkids. Is this brief amount of time the usual? Yes, I will ask my oncologist.
Suzanne

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had a month between end of
    I had a month between end of chemo and start of radiation.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I had a month between end of
    I had a month between end of chemo and start of radiation.

I had about a month break too
    That was about the amount of time my oncologist recommended, so that's what I did. It really took about that much time to get to feeling better again.

Hugs, Renee
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    missrenee said:

I had about a month break too
    That was about the amount of time my oncologist recommended, so that's what I did. It really took about that much time to get to feeling better again.

Hugs, Renee

I had 3 weeks
    Radiation is a BREEZE after all that chemo! Go get em girl!!!
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Mama G said:

I had 3 weeks
    Radiation is a BREEZE after all that chemo! Go get em girl!!!

I had a little over 3 weeks,
    I had a little over 3 weeks, but that was partly because of me. I was trying to get started and have as many as I could before the school year started. I am betting they will give you some time if you ask for it. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all different!
    - as are our Drs.

I had 1 week between my 12th weekly Taxol and starting rads.

Everything went fairly fast with me. Aug 8 saw my PA and was sent straight to have a mamogram shortly after noon which turned into having a sonogram and a biospy also. The next day the radiologist called me and ssid that is was cancer. The next 16 days were full of seeing the surgeoon, chemo Dr and Rads Dr. along with bone scans, CAT, MRI, PET, EEG/EKG and getting port in so I could start A/C on Aug. 26, '09. 2 weeks after last A/C I had mod.rad mast. and then 3 weeks after it I started 12 weekly Taxol and 1 week after last Taxol came rads. So from Dx to end of treatments the longest time that something wasn't actively being 'done' to me was the 3 weeks after surgery.
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Suzanne -
    I had about 2 1/2 weeks but that was my choice (i.e my question was how soon we could get started and I actually had it all set up before I finished chemo). My radiation oncologist told me that the norm was 3-4 weeks but I have also seen other ladies who took longer in between. I hope you get a chance to see the grandkids!
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    They made me suffer lol
    I had 2 more chemos left when they started rads. They would fight over who got me first. Rads family always won. lol The last chemo treatment they offered me the bed. I must have looked awful. It was sooo tiring, being hit with both. Oh, I took them up on the bed and feel right to sleep. I thought doing both was normal. Wait till I see them again. lol Katz