Learned New Trick While Doing Colon Prep

Sundanceh
Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Thought I would share this with you in between my 40-yard dashes, LOL:)

I'm bowel prepping for tomorrow's scope. The hospital instructions said to use a STRAW as this goes to the espohagus and does not stay on the taste buds too long.

I then use a "Sprite" rinse and gargle and swirl a shot of Sprite to help neutralize any bad after taste.

It's still a tough dollar, but better than drinking it the old fashioned way - half down and half to go. By the time I can eat tomorrow, it will have been 40-hours since I last ate.

It occured to me that all of my CT and PETs the last 2 years or more have never been clear completely. So, I hope the results of the scope are good news - I could use a nail to hang my hat on, for a change.

Well, gotta "Dash".....

-Pooped in Prepville
Craig

Comments

• Luv2lunch
    Luv2lunch Member Posts: 270
    Hi Craig,
    Good luck with the

Hi Craig,
    Good luck with the test tomorrow. I hope it is clear. My Mom is going to need colonoscopies every 3 to 4 months for a while. Do you think the straw trick would work for her? She can't stand the taste of the prep stuff. Maybe the straw would work. I thought you couldn't eat or drink anything before a test like that? Sprite is Ok?
    Well again, good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Linda and El
  • Sundanceh
    Luv2lunch said:

Hi Craig,
    Good luck with the

Hi Craig,
    Good luck with the test tomorrow. I hope it is clear. My Mom is going to need colonoscopies every 3 to 4 months for a while. Do you think the straw trick would work for her? She can't stand the taste of the prep stuff. Maybe the straw would work. I thought you couldn't eat or drink anything before a test like that? Sprite is Ok?
    Well again, good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Linda and El

HI Linda and El
    2 straws is working even better.

I don't SWALLOW the Sprite, I just put it in my mouth and gargle and swish it around to kill the bad taste and then spit it out in the sink after I swallow the prep.

Somewhow the Sprite just sort of cancels out the bad taste to a good degree and makes it bearable - but it's still tough.

Have her try it, it might go better.

And you can drink water up to 4 hours before the test.

See you!
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Sundanceh said:

HI Linda and El

I don't SWALLOW the Sprite, I just put it in my mouth and gargle and swish it around to kill the bad taste and then spit it out in the sink after I swallow the prep.

Somewhow the Sprite just sort of cancels out the bad taste to a good degree and makes it bearable - but it's still tough.

See you!

l will take note for next time LOL!
    Good luck Craig!
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Sundanceh said:

HI Linda and El

See you!

darling boy
    darling boy....I think bowel prep has provided some of my loneliest moments on this journey.....who can share the joy??? cept us

thanks for the tips....holding your hand .....hugs and hugs and more

mags
  • Sundanceh
    maglets said:

darling boy
    darling boy....I think bowel prep has provided some of my loneliest moments on this journey.....who can share the joy??? cept us

thanks for the tips....holding your hand .....hugs and hugs and more

mags

Maggie May:)
    How wonderful it is to see you again, darlin':)

I've missed you!

-Craig
  • breezie
    breezie Member Posts: 22
    colon prep
    Hi Craig,
    I'll have to try the straw technique the next time I prep but something I found helpful....probably not for you since you've already begun but for others. After drinking the vile tasting half-lightly or the supposedly non-tasting Miralax I would chew on one of those small pretzels and then spit it out. My mouth might be a little dry but there was a much more appealing after-taste in my mouth. Good luck with your test. Sending positive thoughts your way.
    dorothy
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Maggie May:)
    How wonderful it is to see you again, darlin':)

I've missed you!

-Craig

ahhh Craig
    ahhhh craig....I am still marchin on...sometimes feelin like crap but there you go.....

hold on

mags
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    breezie said:

colon prep
    Hi Craig,
    I'll have to try the straw technique the next time I prep but something I found helpful....probably not for you since you've already begun but for others. After drinking the vile tasting half-lightly or the supposedly non-tasting Miralax I would chew on one of those small pretzels and then spit it out. My mouth might be a little dry but there was a much more appealing after-taste in my mouth. Good luck with your test. Sending positive thoughts your way.
    dorothy

Miralax
    Miralax with Green PowerAde. Went down very quickly with no problem whatsoever with me. First time around with Blue Gatorade was ok, but a little tough towards the end. From here on out it is green PowerAde for me.

The straw sounds like a very good idea if you have trouble with whatever prep you have. It worked good for me on FOLFOX, when everything tasted funny. And you could suck on a lemondrop or other hard candy just long enough to kill the taste and spit it out too. Rinse and spit with anything would be better than having a taste you can't handle lingering in your mouth.

Good luck Craig! You WILL have a clean scope. You certainly deserve it.
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    I have my first colonoscopy
    I have my first colonoscopy post cancer crap this Wednesday. What prep are you doing? half Litley? That **** about killed me last time- took me 10 hours to choke down, horrendous cramping and pain all night long and I ended up in ER the morning of my scheduled colonoscopy...needless to say, I'm scared to take that stuff again...PLUS, my current post-ileostomy reversal (done a year ago) normal seems to be 10 plus times a day on the throne....what the hell will the prep do to me AND why am I not losing any damn weight with all the evacuation going on??? this is a Kerry covnersation, isn't it??? LOL

What exactly is the Miralax/ducolax prep? I wonder if my GI doc will let me do that instead.

STraws...i will do that no matter which prep I start..

Good Luck Craig

((HUGSS))

Poopy Peggy
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    pluckey said:

I have my first colonoscopy post cancer crap this Wednesday. What prep are you doing? half Litley? That **** about killed me last time- took me 10 hours to choke down, horrendous cramping and pain all night long and I ended up in ER the morning of my scheduled colonoscopy...needless to say, I'm scared to take that stuff again...PLUS, my current post-ileostomy reversal (done a year ago) normal seems to be 10 plus times a day on the throne....what the hell will the prep do to me AND why am I not losing any damn weight with all the evacuation going on??? this is a Kerry covnersation, isn't it??? LOL

What exactly is the Miralax/ducolax prep? I wonder if my GI doc will let me do that instead.

Good Luck Craig

((HUGSS))

Poopy Peggy

Peggy:
    I used this for my colonoscopy last November. First you take the Docolax pills. Then, you mix the Miralax with Gatorade. I used the lemononade flavor. There are a few colors you cannot use. Nothing awful like the old stuff but it is still a lot to drink.

Take care - Tina
  • Sundanceh
    pluckey said:

Good Luck Craig

((HUGSS))

Poopy Peggy

Peggy
    I'm doing "old school" prep...it is the Colyte 128oz. I used the Lemon Lime flavor packet.

Half Lytely is out of stock in our part of the woods, my PA tells me it is being reformulated so that is more effective and you won't have to take Dulcolax, but right now they are out, so it was not an option.

I did the Miralax/Gatorade last time and frankly it was no good for me. My scope was "over" in 10-minutes - they found "no evidence." Which was a lie, no scope is done in 10 minutes. I suspect he got in there and saw that I was not properly prepped and backed out of there and said aok.

So, the people here at my new facility use the Colyte and so we should get a clean look and that's what I need right now.

I'm close to finishing the liquid off and then hopefully, the other will pass and it will be done and I can call it a day.

As always for me, the long way around to answer your question: Colyte Prep.

Nice seeing you:)

-Craig
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Good luck Craig,
    I hope you

Good luck Craig,

I hope you hear nothing but good results from the scope.
  • Sundanceh
    AnneCan said:

Good luck Craig,
    I hope you

Good luck Craig,

I hope you hear nothing but good results from the scope.

And For All You Ladies Out There.....
    ....if you need a dance partner, I can honestly say that tonight, I have perfected both the "Turkey Trot" and the "Texas 2-Step" LOL:)

Seein' my a$$ move across the floor so quickly, is a sight I'll leave only for the imagination, but I got moves I didn't know I had.

Just sayin'...

-Craig
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Miralax
    Miralax with Green PowerAde. Went down very quickly with no problem whatsoever with me. First time around with Blue Gatorade was ok, but a little tough towards the end. From here on out it is green PowerAde for me.

The straw sounds like a very good idea if you have trouble with whatever prep you have. It worked good for me on FOLFOX, when everything tasted funny. And you could suck on a lemondrop or other hard candy just long enough to kill the taste and spit it out too. Rinse and spit with anything would be better than having a taste you can't handle lingering in your mouth.

Good luck Craig! You WILL have a clean scope. You certainly deserve it.

Kathryn !!!!!!!!!!! don't use straws any more you can
    swallow it and cause you a serious health problem!!! hahaha.
    Hope you allow a little joke! LOL.
    Hugs!
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Good times
    Oh, Craig.

You just know how to make a weekend a good time, don't you? Glad you discovered the straw trick. I'm due for a colonoscopy this spring, and I'm already thinking icky thoughts.

Praying that you will get an all clear this time!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • coolvdub
    coolvdub Member Posts: 408 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Good times
    Oh, Craig.

You just know how to make a weekend a good time, don't you? Glad you discovered the straw trick. I'm due for a colonoscopy this spring, and I'm already thinking icky thoughts.

Praying that you will get an all clear this time!

*hugs*
    Gail

Good Luck
    Craig,

Hoping it all goes well for you. I just had a colonoscopy a little over a week ago. No call from GI Doc so all is clear. Hoping the same for you, you have been through enough lately.

Don
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    Sundanceh said:

And For All You Ladies Out There.....
    ....if you need a dance partner, I can honestly say that tonight, I have perfected both the "Turkey Trot" and the "Texas 2-Step" LOL:)

Seein' my a$$ move across the floor so quickly, is a sight I'll leave only for the imagination, but I got moves I didn't know I had.

Just sayin'...

-Craig

Dan also doing Texas 2 Step
    Hi Craig
    I hope everything turns out o.k. today! Let us know. Dan has his colonoscopy today. I am scared to death. He has had a few problems, he went tot he GI guy and here we are. I had my 1 year test last Thursday-alls well except for diverticulitis. I wonder why it always has to be about the plumbing?
    Talk to you soon,
    Jan
  • coolvdub said:

Good Luck
    Craig,

Hoping it all goes well for you. I just had a colonoscopy a little over a week ago. No call from GI Doc so all is clear. Hoping the same for you, you have been through enough lately.

Don

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • VivianGB
    VivianGB Member Posts: 46
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Good Luck Today
    Good luck w/ your scope today, hoping all is clear!!

Thanks for the straw tip!

Viv
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    VivianGB said:

Good Luck Today
    Good luck w/ your scope today, hoping all is clear!!

Thanks for the straw tip!

Viv

Thanks for the tip...Doing
    Thanks for the tip...Doing mine tomorrow for surgery wed (getting bag) No food today and most likely rest of week.