more pain 1 wk after lumpectomy

anaumann
anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I woke up yesterday laying in my insision with my arm stretched up under my head. So I understood my increased soreness yesterday. Last night I slept on my back and woke up feeling better. But as the day has gone on it has become more painful. I didn't do more stuff so thats not to blame. Did anyone else experience increased pain eight days after a lumpectomy? They kept me overnight because it was more extensive than planned. I don't have a fever so i didn't call the dr. ann

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Ann,
    I really didn't experience much pain after my lumpectomy. However, since you had to stay overnight, it had to have been more extensive. I would call my doctor just to be on the safe side. Are you taking anything for the pain and it's not working? Hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Jean
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Watch for signs of infection
    Watch for signs of infection (redness, swelling, increased temp, increased pain), but also understand that pain is usually worse as the day goes on.

This may be due to a gradual rise in prostaglandin levels as pain and body temperature are usually at their lowest in the am.

Expect to have some pain, especially in the evening, for a week or two. You may need to take something for pain in the afternoon for a little while longer(whatever is ok with your doc: aleve, advil, tylenol, or a prescrition med).

Do contact your doctor if you really feel that the pain is getting worse as sometimes this can be lymphedema, infection, or another problem. Hope this helps!
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    pain
    Hey Just wanted to tell you I had pain after lumpectomy....The first week I did not have pain[Thats what I get for thinking it was too easy] then exactly one week after surgery I woke up and had so much pain I didn't know what was going on...I called the doc. because it was so bad..But it did go away....But everyone is different so if you have any concerns just call and talk to your doc....I had my surgery in Feb. and I am still trying to find a good position to sleep...Blessings...
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    waffle8 said:

pain
    Hey Just wanted to tell you I had pain after lumpectomy....The first week I did not have pain[Thats what I get for thinking it was too easy] then exactly one week after surgery I woke up and had so much pain I didn't know what was going on...I called the doc. because it was so bad..But it did go away....But everyone is different so if you have any concerns just call and talk to your doc....I had my surgery in Feb. and I am still trying to find a good position to sleep...Blessings...

It could be swelling that is
    It could be swelling that is alleviated by position, and then gets worse throughout the day. How to elevate a boob hmmmmmmm..... are you wearing adequate support.? I know when I had a lumpectomy I wore a supportive bra 24/7. for a few weeks.
  • anaumann
    anaumann Member Posts: 60 Member
    carkris said:

It could be swelling that is
    It could be swelling that is alleviated by position, and then gets worse throughout the day. How to elevate a boob hmmmmmmm..... are you wearing adequate support.? I know when I had a lumpectomy I wore a supportive bra 24/7. for a few weeks.

The pain comes more with
    The pain comes more with moving - from lying to sitting, sitting to standing. I am wearing bra for support and started the ice pack again. It probably is swelling because the breast hurts more all over not at the incision like last week. Except under my arm. I will check with the dr. thanks again, ann
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    anaumann said:

The pain comes more with
    The pain comes more with moving - from lying to sitting, sitting to standing. I am wearing bra for support and started the ice pack again. It probably is swelling because the breast hurts more all over not at the incision like last week. Except under my arm. I will check with the dr. thanks again, ann

I had some pain after
    I had some pain after lumpectomy. It was not horrible pain, but at times I needed pain meds. It was all over pain. I still get pain a year later if I lift to much. I still have arm pain from node removel. A nerve was damaged in the surgery so I am on a pain block for the which works pretty good. Keep wearing a tight bra support, even to bed. Check with your doctor anyways.
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    I also had pain after
    I also had pain after lumpectomy as well and stayed in the hospital 2 days. I was given pain medication in the hospital and continued to take it for about a week or so at home. I would call the doctor to get some meds to relieve the pain. It was very difficult to find a good sleeping positions and with every movement I think I was pulling on the drain.
    Sparkle