Something good comes from every experience (even breast cancer)!

missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My husband and I spent a long Labor Day Weekend visiting my sister in St. Paul, MN. We have had a somewhat rocky relationship over the years--we truly love each other, but somehow know how to push each other's buttons. We had a lot of baggage from growing up (alcoholic father, passive mother) and that has not helped.

Anyway, since I was diagnosed 10 months ago, I had not seen my sister. I was a little upset that she never visited me after surgeries or during treatment (she is single, has the means and could have come to Phoenix), but I chose to let it go and visit her when I felt stronger and better.

Well, we had the most wonderful 3 days together I think we have ever spent. We talked, laughed (a lot) and found something between us I don't think we've ever felt. With tears in his eyes, my husband said it was so wonderful to see us together, just loving and respecting each other. We talked a lot about my illness and how short life is and how unimportant so many of the things we stress about are.

Unfortunately, sometimes it does take something of this magnitude to bring people together. I'm not happy I got breast cancer, and I don't think I'd consider it a blessing, but I sure am glad my sister and I got to really connect.

Thanks for listening. Hugs, Renee

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I am so glad that you two
    I am so glad that you two have re-connected. Sometimes it does take a crisis to make us stop and reexamine our lives and priorities. I hope that it has made me a better person....
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Renee,
    I got tears in my eyes reading your post. I am so happy for you. It's wonderful that you and your husband had such a wonderful weekend. I know I couldn't have done this without my husband. Hugs, Jean
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Good Things
    Renee,
    I couldn't agree more - BC does create a whole new outlook on life and love. From the time I was diagnosed, I began my "good thing of the day" journal and there were so many things that came out of BC that were positive, especially the deepening of my faith life. I'm so glad you've found blessing in the midst of difficulty.
    Beth
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oh, Renee!
    What a heartwarming, touching story. I am so glad that you had such a happy time with your sister. I hope there will be many, many more.

Sue
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    sbmly53 said:

Oh, Renee!
    What a heartwarming, touching story. I am so glad that you had such a happy time with your sister. I hope there will be many, many more.

Sue

How beautiful to read that.
    Same thing happened with my sister and me. And she died on Dec 14, 2009. I miss her so much, but I'm so glad we were able to become best friends again.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    for you that your visit turned out spectacular! Life is too short, for sure. My youngest sister is visiting CT from WA for a week. It was so good to see her yesterday.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Cancer is not a blessing,
    however, I do believe blessings can be an outcome from it. I know with me and so many, just the mere fact that you realize how short life can be changes you, your perspective. I appreciate more, forgive easily, choose not to stress out...all those "positives" I consider blessings in my life. And when family members and friends can put aside differences, reconnect and realize what a blessing life is, well, that's amazing and wonderful.

I'm happy you experienced a renewed closeness with your Sister.

BLESSINGS and Hugs,

Sylvia
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    That is so wonderful that you were able to let the lack of contact during your treatment go and have been able to get closer to your sister. My sister and I have experienced similar situations in the past but one of the positives of this darned disease has been that we have gotten closer. She is on the west coast (I am on the east) and she is getting ready to walk in the Avon walk and has raised $4000 for breast cancer. I am so proud!

Chris
  • wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73
    cahjah75 said:

for you that your visit turned out spectacular! Life is too short, for sure. My youngest sister is visiting CT from WA for a week. It was so good to see her yesterday.
    {{hugs}} Char

hey char
    hi there...are you in CT ? i live in new haven...wendy
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    wendybia said:

hey char
    hi there...are you in CT ? i live in new haven...wendy

Hi Wendy
    I live in Coventry not too far from UCONN
    Char
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

That is so wonderful that you were able to let the lack of contact during your treatment go and have been able to get closer to your sister. My sister and I have experienced similar situations in the past but one of the positives of this darned disease has been that we have gotten closer. She is on the west coast (I am on the east) and she is getting ready to walk in the Avon walk and has raised $4000 for breast cancer. I am so proud!

Chris

Happy for ya
    Sounds like you had a great time. Yeah sometimes something of this magnitude brings some closer, but it can also separate. One can see the true colors come out in people.
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Oh Renee,Im so happy for
    Oh Renee,Im so happy for you. So glad you had a wonderful trip. It rejuvinates and gives us the strength to keep going.

Lupe
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Pinkpower said:

Oh Renee,Im so happy for
    Oh Renee,Im so happy for you. So glad you had a wonderful trip. It rejuvinates and gives us the strength to keep going.

Lupe

Thank you for all your heartfelt posts, girls
    When I talk on this board, it makes me feel as if I'm talking to all my best friends. What a blessing!

Hugs, Renee
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    great to hear
    Happy you had nice visit! I truely think everything happens for a reason...we may never know..but there is a reason!

I have colitis and since on tamoxifen for over year it's been like total remission..first time in 18 yrs...my oncolo said that is the silver lining of my cancer...

while going through surgery/radiation etc..colitis was so severe...terrible...now GOOD!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

great to hear
    Happy you had nice visit! I truely think everything happens for a reason...we may never know..but there is a reason!

I have colitis and since on tamoxifen for over year it's been like total remission..first time in 18 yrs...my oncolo said that is the silver lining of my cancer...

while going through surgery/radiation etc..colitis was so severe...terrible...now GOOD!

bumping up
    Vicki
  • disneyfan2008
    sea60 said:

Cancer is not a blessing,
    however, I do believe blessings can be an outcome from it. I know with me and so many, just the mere fact that you realize how short life can be changes you, your perspective. I appreciate more, forgive easily, choose not to stress out...all those "positives" I consider blessings in my life. And when family members and friends can put aside differences, reconnect and realize what a blessing life is, well, that's amazing and wonderful.

I'm happy you experienced a renewed closeness with your Sister.

BLESSINGS and Hugs,

Sylvia

physical improvement from cancer meds
    something good comes of things...I must say (not sure when my 5 yrs is up) since taking Tamoxifen my UC is in total remission. I have had it for 17 yrs-while going through treatments it was so so bad...worst it's even been-when on steriods, gained weight-now on taxmofin like I have never had it..
  • disneyfan2008
    great to hear
    you found something good from this