Great book---but not cancer related

2»

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

CSN Book Club
    Danny and I loved all of the Larsson trilogy books. The heroine was edgy (Asperger's-like) and there was a lot of violence, but I enjoyed their fast pace and I also really enjoyed reading about Sweden. I have to confess that I enjoyed the Lisabeth character. My favorite was the 2nd one.

I have a kindle my siblings gave me and I read every night. It seems to help to take my mind off of things. Some books that I have really enjoyed lately:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
    Cutting for Stone
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    The Invisible Bridge
    The Mercy of Thin Air

Chen, if you like mysteries, you might like The Shadow of the Wind or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie? Although my daughter is a REAL mystery reader and prefers the Agatha Christie, Rex Stout kind.

Without giving anything away
    Without giving anything away to the ones who may be reading Dragon Tattoo...the way she "paid back" the one who yes, did her SOOOO wrong was so out of the realm of anything I could wrap my head/ heart around that it left me cold. The people in my group said they actually found the difficult part was caring about ANY of the characters or what happened to them...did you really care about the main character or if he prevailed? Again, not to give anything away!

Right now we are reading one of the old Agatha Christie classics...The Man in The Brown Suit, I will definitely get the books you recommemded~ I love, love, love reading~ and I finish all books we are reading~ even Dragon Tattoo! LOL As I said, our book club is definitely in the minority! But it is fascinating that we all felt the same way about it!

Hugs and thanks!
    Chen
  • chenheart
    survives said:

I like that!! :-)
    CSN Bookclub!! We have a name!!! Chen, didn't you find "Dog on it" laugh out loud funny? I loved that book. Sort of a "Hank the Cowdog" for adults. Can't stand "Hank the Cowdog". Went to a reading once, and I couldn't stand the person who did "Hank's voice!! Ruined it for me!! Oh, well.

I need to get my list, and find out what I've read, but my favorite so far this summer is "The Help". Wonderful book. It's about life in the south during the Civil Rights movement, and how "the help" was treated. It will open your eyes, and in my case, got teary!! But it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. And, it is being made into a movie. Pardon me as I stampede past you ladies to get in the front of the line for a ticket!

Jennifer

I loved BOTH Dog On It and
    I loved BOTH Dog On It and The Help~ Civil Rights era is my favorite...be it documentaries on PBS, ( I LOVE archival footage!!!) and books, novels or non fiction.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    chenheart said:

Without giving anything away
    Without giving anything away to the ones who may be reading Dragon Tattoo...the way she "paid back" the one who yes, did her SOOOO wrong was so out of the realm of anything I could wrap my head/ heart around that it left me cold. The people in my group said they actually found the difficult part was caring about ANY of the characters or what happened to them...did you really care about the main character or if he prevailed? Again, not to give anything away!

Right now we are reading one of the old Agatha Christie classics...The Man in The Brown Suit, I will definitely get the books you recommemded~ I love, love, love reading~ and I finish all books we are reading~ even Dragon Tattoo! LOL As I said, our book club is definitely in the minority! But it is fascinating that we all felt the same way about it!

Hugs and thanks!
    Chen

I like this post, giving me
    I like this post, giving me lots of ideas for books to read. Yes, the girl definitely has aspergers. I do not know how the nookies work, guess i will stick with the books! I used to love Agatha Christie! Chen, did you used to read Harold Robbin? He was definitely the best.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Thanks for your review -I've
    Thanks for your review -I've been wanting to check out that trilogy! It's come recommended by some othe friends as well. I'm finding that along with the requisite cancer & chemo research books I have to flip through, I'm reading alot of fun, campy, not so serious books these days. Something to take my mind off of everything. I love LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, and anything Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson I can read in a few days. I'm finishing the last book in the Sookie/Southern Vampire series and then I think I'll check out the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo next!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • chenheart

Thanks for your review -I've
    Thanks for your review -I've been wanting to check out that trilogy! It's come recommended by some othe friends as well. I'm finding that along with the requisite cancer & chemo research books I have to flip through, I'm reading alot of fun, campy, not so serious books these days. Something to take my mind off of everything. I love LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris, and anything Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson I can read in a few days. I'm finishing the last book in the Sookie/Southern Vampire series and then I think I'll check out the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo next!
    *hugs*
    Heather

I too love the Sookie
    I too love the Sookie Stackhouse books~ they are smart, funny and yeah, "sensual", with a good story thrown in too! The TV Series? Again, I am in the minority, but I can't stand it! Anna Pacquin looks nothing like Sookie, I am not attracted to any of the vamps, nor drawn in by their charm. And whereas I am not a prude by almost any means, the language and the practically leaving nothing to our imaginations has turned me completely off from the series. Couple that with the fact that characters who died early on in the books are still alive on TV, and cousins who never existed exist on TV! Yup! Give me books any time! LOL!! I am with you on the James Patterson~my niece and my stepdaughter and I also loved his Maximum Ride series as well. What an awesome way to get young adults to stop watching TV and read again! My niece flew alone to Budapest last summer and read the books on the long flight over! Yeah!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570

CSN Book Club
    Danny and I loved all of the Larsson trilogy books. The heroine was edgy (Asperger's-like) and there was a lot of violence, but I enjoyed their fast pace and I also really enjoyed reading about Sweden. I have to confess that I enjoyed the Lisabeth character. My favorite was the 2nd one.

I have a kindle my siblings gave me and I read every night. It seems to help to take my mind off of things. Some books that I have really enjoyed lately:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
    Cutting for Stone
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    The Invisible Bridge
    The Mercy of Thin Air

Chen, if you like mysteries, you might like The Shadow of the Wind or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie? Although my daughter is a REAL mystery reader and prefers the Agatha Christie, Rex Stout kind.

CypressCynthia....There is
    CypressCynthia....There is some resonance going on here. Loved, loved, loved Shadow of the Wind! I agree that Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie was also very, very yummy. I can add that Motherless Brooklyn is another totally enjoyable mystery novel.

These are books that aren't mysteries: I'm enjoying The White Tiger right now. The Elegance of the Hedgehog is another good read, although I found the ending disappointing.

I've never even held a Kindle or a Nook. Like Chen, I love the whole book experience - the touch, the smell, the look of the printed page. Being reliant on a battery to read a book is a little too edgy for me.

I love this thread.

xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    agreed
    Great trilogy, hope you read them all. Reading is my distraction. :)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Meena I've found
    that I've been doing a lot of reading this summer. I just finished "The Neighbor". I'm about to start reading the Breast book by Dr Susan Love and I also got the After Breast Cancer book. I'll probably put a light read in between. I certainly don't want to read about C all the time!
    Char
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    lizzie17 said:

agreed
    Great trilogy, hope you read them all. Reading is my distraction. :)

Me too!
    Just finished The Murderer's Daughters by Meyers last night. I had been putting off reading it because I thought it was going to be too depressing, but I couldn't put it down . The resiliency of individuals and families is a theme that I could really relate to. Hope someone else reads it.
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    cahjah75 said:

Meena I've found
    that I've been doing a lot of reading this summer. I just finished "The Neighbor". I'm about to start reading the Breast book by Dr Susan Love and I also got the After Breast Cancer book. I'll probably put a light read in between. I certainly don't want to read about C all the time!
    Char

CSN Book Club
    HI, I love the idea. I guess I will be making a trip to the library very soon. You have given me alot of good suggestions. I have been reading the Womens Murder club series by James Patterson this summer. I have enjoyed them. Nancy
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    chenheart said:

Our Womens' Mystery Book Club read this a few months ago....
    OMG~ everyone in my book club, and I mean everyone, myself included, HATED that book! We know it is part of a trilogy, and the author died, but we disliked the book and its bizarre characters so much that none of us was interested in reading the other two in the series! We didn't know what made the main character ( the male character) so attractive to myriad women, and the hacker girl herself? Though her character was definitely more "interesting", she was so over the top that none of us could relate to her at all.

It is interesting that Dragon Tattoo is being read in book clubs everywhere~ and of course it's American movie version has recenty been cast, yet we can't figure out the appeal!

We are a group of a dozen women from all walks of life; married, single, 30-something and up, working, retired etc etc. Apretty good cross section I would say. And yet none of us liked this book. We have only had 100% consensus for one other book, In The Woods by Tana French.

But, Tattoo will certainly get a discussion started, that's for sure!

Hugs,
    and happy reading~ I highly recommend reading no matter what!!!

Chen♥

love to read - but hated the dragon tattoo book!!
    i thought i was the only one! every one was raving about it so i requested it from the library and waited patiently. what a disappointment!

i got a recommendation from one of the school families where i work - 1000 white women. it was an excellent read!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

CSN Book Club
    HI, I love the idea. I guess I will be making a trip to the library very soon. You have given me alot of good suggestions. I have been reading the Womens Murder club series by James Patterson this summer. I have enjoyed them. Nancy

I loved the Help lets just
    I loved the Help lets just say I will never look at pie the same way. LOL
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    carkris said:

I loved the Help lets just
    I loved the Help lets just say I will never look at pie the same way. LOL

New Book...awesome!
    Just finished Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens, Awesome, awesome, awesome. It is the most touching story of a little biracial girl who gets "dumped" with an elderly black lady who lives in a trailer. It is amazing! I liked it more than The Help. Can you believe it?! You heard it here first (LOL)!