Genetic Testing

Options
kellyh33
kellyh33 Member Posts: 287
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I am wondering if anyone else has done the genetic testing. The day Mom was diagnosed the doctor talked to her about testing. After her first chemo the blood was drawn and has been sent off. My siblings and I are also going to do the testing. Fortunately, the Ontario government absorbs the five thousand dollar price tag, unfortunately it takes a year to get the results back.
If we test positive for the gene I am not sure what the course of action will be but I am praying we will all be negative.

Comments

• Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    BRCA2+
    I live in the UK & was tested positive for BRCA2. My sister is also positive. So now my children are going to have the test.

My sister wants to have a prophalatic double mastecomy and hysterectomy as she doesn't have any cancer YET. Me I am just going to had extra screening for breast cancer and as soon as my PPC has settled down I will be having a oophrectomy (removal of the ovaries)

Good luck with your results & let us know what they are.

Tina
  • zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options
    I am BRCA1 positive, testing
    I am BRCA1 positive, testing done in USA about 1 year ego. I am on disability, Medicare pay all. My daughter, she is 36, not have to pay for her test in full measure, because her test will be short, based on my result. I was dz 02-14-2007 with ovarian cancer 2c stage and breast cancer stage 1. My Mom died from ovarian cancer 07-27-2006 and her sister after 20 years dz with breast cancer had recurrency now, at age 73. I hope for new treatments develope by research in near future for woman like me.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    zinaida said:

I am BRCA1 positive, testing
    I am BRCA1 positive, testing done in USA about 1 year ego. I am on disability, Medicare pay all. My daughter, she is 36, not have to pay for her test in full measure, because her test will be short, based on my result. I was dz 02-14-2007 with ovarian cancer 2c stage and breast cancer stage 1. My Mom died from ovarian cancer 07-27-2006 and her sister after 20 years dz with breast cancer had recurrency now, at age 73. I hope for new treatments develope by research in near future for woman like me.

I had the genetic testing
    I had the genetic testing for BRCA 1 and 2; I was negative. Medicare pays for the test if you meet the criteria, which includes your own diagnosis of OC and any member of your family within 3 degrees who had breast cancer younger than age 50. Mine was a great aunt. You don't have to provide any proof.

There is also a test for the genetic connection between OC and colon cancer. I did not meet the criteria for that one, so I chose not to do it.
  • clynn13
    clynn13 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I had that done last year.
    I had that done last year. Just blood draw and a few weeks later the result. I was negative.
  • newhopechurchli
    newhopechurchli Member Posts: 126
    Options
    clynn13 said:

I had that done last year.
    I had that done last year. Just blood draw and a few weeks later the result. I was negative.

Yes!!
    I had the testing done. I came up negative which was actually a big surprise because there had been breast cancer and uterine cancer in my family. I am relieved for my daughters!!!!!!!
  • Angelasmom2
    Angelasmom2 Member Posts: 146
    Options

Yes!!
    I had the testing done. I came up negative which was actually a big surprise because there had been breast cancer and uterine cancer in my family. I am relieved for my daughters!!!!!!!

Yes
    My daughter tested possitive for BRVA1. She has 3c ovarian cancer. Because of her age, a successful sugery at the beginning, the doctors are very hopeful that she will have a full recover. They said the gene mutation responds very well to the chemo for that type of genic cancer. This is very good news for treating people with geneic mutations. The doctors must know if your mother is positive or not, so they know how to treat it. They will only be guessing at the treatment plan,if they do not have the information. Different types of cancer response differently to certain medications. Know is very important to how the doctors should treat her.
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Yes
    My daughter tested possitive for BRVA1. She has 3c ovarian cancer. Because of her age, a successful sugery at the beginning, the doctors are very hopeful that she will have a full recover. They said the gene mutation responds very well to the chemo for that type of genic cancer. This is very good news for treating people with geneic mutations. The doctors must know if your mother is positive or not, so they know how to treat it. They will only be guessing at the treatment plan,if they do not have the information. Different types of cancer response differently to certain medications. Know is very important to how the doctors should treat her.

Chemo for BRCA1
    Can you tell me what treatment your daughter received? I am also BRCA1 positive. Thanks.
  • Angelasmom2
    Angelasmom2 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Chemo for BRCA1
    Can you tell me what treatment your daughter received? I am also BRCA1 positive. Thanks.

Chemo for BRACE1
    Yes, I will have to get back with you to get the exact treatment from her. Anderson in houston is treating her and they are 1# in the nation and have been for years. She flew from California to be seen there. She is being treated in calilfornia, but Anderson is in charge of the treatment. I am leaving this afternoon to go out to be with her for her second treatment. I believe it is platium based, but I will get all the info for you. I will try to call her before I leave. I am in a different time zone then her. The doctors in Houston her her a very good outlook on her recovery with this treatment.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

Chemo for BRACE1
    Yes, I will have to get back with you to get the exact treatment from her. Anderson in houston is treating her and they are 1# in the nation and have been for years. She flew from California to be seen there. She is being treated in calilfornia, but Anderson is in charge of the treatment. I am leaving this afternoon to go out to be with her for her second treatment. I believe it is platium based, but I will get all the info for you. I will try to call her before I leave. I am in a different time zone then her. The doctors in Houston her her a very good outlook on her recovery with this treatment.

The "old standby" is
    The "old standby" is Carboplatin and Taxol. Some women are platinum resistant and have to be switched mid-treatment, however. I responded really well to this combo. My CA125 pre-surgery was 4000 and now hangs out between 4 and 7. I am one year post-surgery this month.

Carlene
  • JosieO
    JosieO Member Posts: 12
    Options

The "old standby" is
    The "old standby" is Carboplatin and Taxol. Some women are platinum resistant and have to be switched mid-treatment, however. I responded really well to this combo. My CA125 pre-surgery was 4000 and now hangs out between 4 and 7. I am one year post-surgery this month.

Carlene

Genetic Testing
    I am almost 1 yr post surgery and have had 6 months of Taxol & Carboplatin...8 weeks after treatment I had reacurrance. Had 16 weeks of Taxol with added Avastin every 21 days. I am now on Avastin every 21 days for the next 6 months. I had genetic testing and I am BRACA 1 positive. My question is does having a mastectomy for the scare of having breast cancer seem extreme? I was told I have a 87% chance of having breast cancer and if I have surgery I have a 90% chance of never getting breast cancer! I have alot of doubt but can't even imagine having to go through surgery,chemo and radiation if this happens.