starting Arimidex this week

roseyposey333
roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just got my prescription for Arimidex and I think I start the day I finish my radiation treatment which would be Friday but will see my doctor tomorrow to find out for sure.

My question is, did someone here say that they take the pill in the evenings?? Somehow I remember reading that and I made a note to take it in the evening but wanted to find out if that is the case or does it matter at all when I take it.

I am so sore from radiation now and wonder how long the burning continues before it starts to heal. Seems like forever. Anyone have any good remedies for healing skin especially around the nipple area?

Thanks in advance, this place is a wealth of knowledge from very wise people here.

Rosey Posey

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    arimidex
    Yes, take the pill in the evening. My little sister was very tired taking femara (very similar to arimidex) in the AM and I had her switched and she has done fine for 5 yrs on it.

My onc put me on arimidex in April of 2009 and, dummy that I am, I took it in the morning. Boy, was I dragging (and I'm high energy). Anyway, I switched to taking it early evening (around 4 or 5 PM) and I am fine. I don't take it before bedtime because I am taking other pills then and I wanted to space the arimidex out for better absorption.

Also, I highly recommend having someone check your vitamin d level asap as low vit d level will increase muscle aches and fatigue. I was achy and my physician sister pushed me into, checking my level and it was really low. I am now followed by an endocrinologist who upped my intake until my d level is now (finally) normal. And I live in Louisiana and garden, so you would think my level would have been normal!

Anyway, since my vit d level was normalized, I am fine, which is good because my endocrinologist is planning on me taking it indefinitely. I have mets, but it has put me back in remission.

Seethis link about vitamin D and aromatase inhibitors (arimidex):
    www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20091215.jsp
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

arimidex
    Yes, take the pill in the evening. My little sister was very tired taking femara (very similar to arimidex) in the AM and I had her switched and she has done fine for 5 yrs on it.

My onc put me on arimidex in April of 2009 and, dummy that I am, I took it in the morning. Boy, was I dragging (and I'm high energy). Anyway, I switched to taking it early evening (around 4 or 5 PM) and I am fine. I don't take it before bedtime because I am taking other pills then and I wanted to space the arimidex out for better absorption.

Also, I highly recommend having someone check your vitamin d level asap as low vit d level will increase muscle aches and fatigue. I was achy and my physician sister pushed me into, checking my level and it was really low. I am now followed by an endocrinologist who upped my intake until my d level is now (finally) normal. And I live in Louisiana and garden, so you would think my level would have been normal!

Anyway, since my vit d level was normalized, I am fine, which is good because my endocrinologist is planning on me taking it indefinitely. I have mets, but it has put me back in remission.

I've been taking it for a year.
    I take it at bedtime. I have had some very mild sise effects.

Roseann
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Roseyposey333
    I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the burns from radiation. I just finished up two weeks ago and had some skin breakdown as well (mine was in my armpit). I tried everything (ALRA lotion, aquaphor, 100% aloe) - what seemed to actually make it heal the fastest was painting the area with gentian violet. My radiation oncologist did it daily for the last couple of days and then sent some home with me. It really seemed to make it more comfortable but it is nasty stuff (bright purple that stains everything so I was living in my navy cotton t-shirt). I only had to use it a couple of days and then was able to go back to my lotions. It really all healed up pretty quickly.

I started on Arimidex a couple of weeks ago. I had seen the comments on taking it at night but have been taking mine in the morning (my oncologist said any time of day is fine and I take all of my pills and supplements in the morning - I figured I'd probably forget in the evening). I have really done fine with it - no fatigue, some mild increase in hot flashes but nothing particularly bothersome, nothing else that I have noticed.

I hope it all goes well for you!

Chris
  • roseyposey333

arimidex

thanks
    Guess I will try it at night as see how it goes, I have my routine before bed, flossing, brushing my teeth, etc, so I will just put the bottle of pills next to my bedside to remind me to take it.
    I did have my vitamin D checked last week and will see my doctor tomorrow to find out the results. Thanks for that info.
  • roseyposey333

Roseyposey333
    I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the burns from radiation. I just finished up two weeks ago and had some skin breakdown as well (mine was in my armpit). I tried everything (ALRA lotion, aquaphor, 100% aloe) - what seemed to actually make it heal the fastest was painting the area with gentian violet. My radiation oncologist did it daily for the last couple of days and then sent some home with me. It really seemed to make it more comfortable but it is nasty stuff (bright purple that stains everything so I was living in my navy cotton t-shirt). I only had to use it a couple of days and then was able to go back to my lotions. It really all healed up pretty quickly.

I started on Arimidex a couple of weeks ago. I had seen the comments on taking it at night but have been taking mine in the morning (my oncologist said any time of day is fine and I take all of my pills and supplements in the morning - I figured I'd probably forget in the evening). I have really done fine with it - no fatigue, some mild increase in hot flashes but nothing particularly bothersome, nothing else that I have noticed.

I hope it all goes well for you!

Chris

thanks Grey
    my doctor gave something that is used for burn patients and I think it is helping but just when one spot clears it starts burning in another area. Also lots of itchy spots, I am thinking that means it is healing but not sure. I have not heard of gentian violet but will keep it in mind if it gets worse.
    One thing that did help is not wearing my bra but i needed to keep my skin from rubbing on my clothes so the doctor gave me something called Mepilex Lite with safetac technology. It is a kind of gauze but not scratchy at all and it has a sticky side but it doesn't stick too much, just enough to stay put but no enough to pull on skin. I wear it when I don't have my bra on.
    I appreciate all your advice and I do know that this too shall pass.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

thanks Grey
    my doctor gave something that is used for burn patients and I think it is helping but just when one spot clears it starts burning in another area. Also lots of itchy spots, I am thinking that means it is healing but not sure. I have not heard of gentian violet but will keep it in mind if it gets worse.
    One thing that did help is not wearing my bra but i needed to keep my skin from rubbing on my clothes so the doctor gave me something called Mepilex Lite with safetac technology. It is a kind of gauze but not scratchy at all and it has a sticky side but it doesn't stick too much, just enough to stay put but no enough to pull on skin. I wear it when I don't have my bra on.
    I appreciate all your advice and I do know that this too shall pass.

arimidex
    Hi there,

I've been on Arimidex for, let's see, a little over three months and haven't noticed much different. It's so hard to say -- this might hurt and it goes away and then that hurts and doesn't go away but gets better or I'll feel sad or mad. I think, though, if I didn't have Arimidex to wonder about, I'd probably just attribute what I feel to just being alive.

I take it with dinner and have never had hot flashes (but I didn't with natural menopause, either) or fatigue or really anything. It worried me that I had no side effects, but my medical oncologist assured me it's working and I'm just lucky.

I hope the same for you:)

xo
    Victoria
  • starseed
    starseed Member Posts: 62
    aisling8 said:

arimidex
    Hi there,

I've been on Arimidex for, let's see, a little over three months and haven't noticed much different. It's so hard to say -- this might hurt and it goes away and then that hurts and doesn't go away but gets better or I'll feel sad or mad. I think, though, if I didn't have Arimidex to wonder about, I'd probably just attribute what I feel to just being alive.

I take it with dinner and have never had hot flashes (but I didn't with natural menopause, either) or fatigue or really anything. It worried me that I had no side effects, but my medical oncologist assured me it's working and I'm just lucky.

I hope the same for you:)

xo
    Victoria

No set time for
    Arimidex for me..only that I take it every day.
    Best thing I used for skin was 100% coconut oil or pure natural shea butter.

Hope this helps.