Ladies I need Help

canjuncutie
canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has there been any that had chemo thru a PICC line. Given what I been thru becuase of one surgoen I dont want a port in me.

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Hi and welcome
    to the bc network. I've had a PICC line for antibiotics because of a bone infection but I had a Purple Power Port placed for my chemo. I'm sure someone will have some info to help you out.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Hi cajuncutie
    I had the PICC as my port did not work. If you would like to see a picture of it, it is on my expressions page. I would have preferred the port, it is under the skin and you dont have to worry about infection, cleaning, catching on things, etc. The PICC works well, but also needs to be gone from your body in under six months, at least that's what they told me. Good luck with either choice you make, it will always be the right one for you.
    When do you start your chemo?
    Cat
  • iowasignterp
    iowasignterp Member Posts: 55
    had a picc line
    i had a picc line but i won't do it again. I am writing this as i am recovering from a port surgery again (recurrance). the picc line was easy but it is like a constant iv sticking out of your arm. i had several strangers ask me what was wrong with my arm, i was already bald at the time, wearing wigs/scarves, and it was just another question that i did not want to deal with. if it is during winter so that it can be covered under long sleeves, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. the picc line also had to be covered while in the shower. it was a pain, plastic sleeves meant for arm casts or saran wrap and tape, uggh. check how often the picc line needs to be flushed out. the port needs to be flushed every month but i think the picc line is more frequent or it needs to be changed completely on a a regular interval.

in the right hands, a port is much easier to maintain and much less noticeable. one downside is that not all nurses know how to use them. at the e.r., the flight nurses are the only ones who know how to use my port. i have had a lot of good luck with my surgeon. check with other doctors and nurses to find which surgeon they would recommend. especially check with nurses in the surgical area if you have it narrowed down to one or two. they won't always tend to volunteer recommendations but will usually volunteer good comments about a surgeon they would recommend. up to you, of course. a port is a one day recovery but i am not as concerned about my veins being busted. I am HER2 positive so i get lots of iv treatments. i know of a couple of people whose veins were ruined by chemo treatments.