SOY? not for ER/PR positive?

sunrisema
sunrisema Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am recently diagnosed (DCIS with poss microinvasion)...and trying to get up todate on all of the research. I read the post from Double Whammy on soy. I am er/pr positive, should i avoid soy? Why? can someone point me in the right direction? also...while i've got your attention :)... has anyone tried anything holistic/herbal/dietary that seems to be working? Thanks!

Comments

• BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Soy controversy
    I asked the question of my oncologist and he said that there is quite a controversy over the whole topic of soy. He said that some omit soy in total from diet as it is a plant estrogen and we're to avoid estrogen. On the other hand, he said that there is also the opinion that soy is a weak estrogen and if it attaches to the cell, the bad estrogen comes by, thinks that this particular cell is already occupied, and moves on. So, bottom line, I don't know - but I'm not going to stress over it. I try to read labels and limit the soy intake but I don't think you can eliminate all soy from the diet - nor do I think it's absolutely necessary. I think eating a good diet, avoiding stuff like smoking and alcohol, and exercising daily are all good ideas at this stage of our lives!
    Beth
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I ditto Beth
    My Onc said the very same thing. The problem is, so many foods have it. You just have to read the labels.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    My cancer was estrogen and
    My cancer was estrogen and progeterone sensitive. I am a vegetarian and was concerned about soy. My oncologist told me that estrogen supplements are a bad idea but dietary soy is FINE. Actually he said that being a vegetarian is a good thing because I am not ingesting hormones in meat. These would be estrogen and progesterone as well as stress hormones that flood an animal's body due to the terror they feel as they are about to be cruelly slaughtered.

People who eat meat not only injest a lot of hormones, but also high levels of antibiotics. I read that 70% of antibiotics sold are for the meat industry. No wonder super bugs are developing!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Eil4186 said:

My cancer was estrogen and
    My cancer was estrogen and progeterone sensitive. I am a vegetarian and was concerned about soy. My oncologist told me that estrogen supplements are a bad idea but dietary soy is FINE. Actually he said that being a vegetarian is a good thing because I am not ingesting hormones in meat. These would be estrogen and progesterone as well as stress hormones that flood an animal's body due to the terror they feel as they are about to be cruelly slaughtered.

People who eat meat not only injest a lot of hormones, but also high levels of antibiotics. I read that 70% of antibiotics sold are for the meat industry. No wonder super bugs are developing!

I have been reading the book
    I have been reading the book Anti Cancer by David Servan Schreiber M.D. While I have no idea if it is all true. much of it makes sense to me, and talks about nutrition. I says that for now they recomend advoiding soy supplements, but that soy in the diet should be eliminated but not totally avoided. I have to say though, that I dont ingest it on purpose, it makes me nervous. I have found I feel better eating, more simple things, no junk or processed things. fruits and vegetables. but I made a pie yesterday and used a ready made crust. I try to do the best I can without being crazy. I did see a dietician that said soy lecitin is ok.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    carkris said:

I have been reading the book
    I have been reading the book Anti Cancer by David Servan Schreiber M.D. While I have no idea if it is all true. much of it makes sense to me, and talks about nutrition. I says that for now they recomend advoiding soy supplements, but that soy in the diet should be eliminated but not totally avoided. I have to say though, that I dont ingest it on purpose, it makes me nervous. I have found I feel better eating, more simple things, no junk or processed things. fruits and vegetables. but I made a pie yesterday and used a ready made crust. I try to do the best I can without being crazy. I did see a dietician that said soy lecitin is ok.

I am ER and PR+ and my
    I am ER and PR+ and my oncologist said NO Soy! He also stated though, that it is almost impossible to not get some soy in certain foods as it is hidden. So, just avoid it when you can. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    jnl said:

I am ER and PR+ and my
    I am ER and PR+ and my oncologist said NO Soy! He also stated though, that it is almost impossible to not get some soy in certain foods as it is hidden. So, just avoid it when you can. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza

I'm ER/PR+
    and my drs said no soy!
    Char
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Very Controversial
    If you are good at reviewing research take a look at the table at komen.org:
    http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/Table17Soyintakeandbreastcancerrisk.html

From what I can understand, moderate soy may improve outcomes but high intake may make things worse. Definitely still a lot of controversy about this so I would limit my soy intake for now and stay tuned as more research is pending.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    controversy on soy
    My cancer was also estrogen and progesterone positive. My doctor and nutritionist suggested I limit soy however with it used in so many other foods as filler, it would be hard to cut it out completely. The nutritionist recommended limiting use of flax as well, for the same reasons as limiting the soy.
    Hugs, K