pathology

missingtexas
missingtexas Member Posts: 146
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a bilateral mastectomy last Friday. I was hoping for a better pathology report since I had already completed chemo. 3 positive nodes and 3 positive ducts. Right side was benign. Somebody mentioned to me once that they had to have chemo before and after surgery. Has anybody had that and why? I have a follow up on Thursday with the surgeon and with my oncologist. I was just wondering if anybody knew more about this.

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Dear missingtexas, I don't
    Dear missingtexas, I don't have any answers for you. Just want you to know that we are here for you throughout your journey. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Chemo before and after
    Many women have chemo before surgery due to the size of their tumor.....if it's really large they do chemo first to shrink it as much as possible.....after surgery chemo is given again to hopefully kill any strain cancer cells in the breast or ELSEWHERE in the body...

Hope this helps...
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    MAJW said:

Chemo before and after
    Many women have chemo before surgery due to the size of their tumor.....if it's really large they do chemo first to shrink it as much as possible.....after surgery chemo is given again to hopefully kill any strain cancer cells in the breast or ELSEWHERE in the body...

Hope this helps...

It was a large

It was a large tumor (8.8cm). I guess I'll see what oncology says on Wednesday. Waiting makes me crazy.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    I had 3 chemo cycles before
    I had 3 chemo cycles before my mastectomy... had 11 lympth nodes removed, 4 positive.... tumor was 6.3 cm before.... and it shrank considerably before surgery. Post surgery I was scheduled for 5 more chemos.... last one is tomorrow. The follow up chemos are to get any possible stray cancer cells. I will then have radiation to follow. Good luck with your treatment and path report.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462

It was a large

It was a large tumor (8.8cm). I guess I'll see what oncology says on Wednesday. Waiting makes me crazy.

I hate waiting too!
    Good luck on Wednesday. Sending prayers your way. Let us know how you make out. Hugs, Jean
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

It was a large

the waiting is the worst
    the waiting is the worst part! we got this sister ;)
    *hugs*
    heather
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    cavediver said:

I had 3 chemo cycles before
    I had 3 chemo cycles before my mastectomy... had 11 lympth nodes removed, 4 positive.... tumor was 6.3 cm before.... and it shrank considerably before surgery. Post surgery I was scheduled for 5 more chemos.... last one is tomorrow. The follow up chemos are to get any possible stray cancer cells. I will then have radiation to follow. Good luck with your treatment and path report.

Waiting
    Oh yes the waiting. This is the hardest part for me. Just when you think you have gotton all the information they could possibly give you, there's more. Stay positive and this will get you through.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I know of many who have had
    I know of many who have had chemo before surgery to shrink a tumor so that they could do a lumpectomy, and then finished their chemo after healed from the operation.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Good luck Texas!! We will be
    Good luck Texas!! We will be thinking of you:)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Hi and Welcome! I didn't
    Hi and Welcome! I didn't have chemo at all, so, I can't answer your questions. Just want to send you a prayer and good luck!

Leeza
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    jnl said:

Hi and Welcome! I didn't
    Hi and Welcome! I didn't have chemo at all, so, I can't answer your questions. Just want to send you a prayer and good luck!

Leeza

I had ILC
    and did not have chemo prior to bilateral mastectomy. My tumor was 6.1 cm and I'm the 5th in my family so oncologist recommended chemo for 4 rounds and possibly 6. My lymph nodes were negative. Sending cyber {{hugs}}, Char