Soy

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As you know, I have both breast and endometrial cancer, and they are both estrogen positive. I asked my oncologist last week about soy. She said there is a new study out that showed no difference from a double blind study of bc women and soy estrogens, and if I wanted soy sometimes, go for it. I don't eat a lot of soy anyway, but it will be nice to have chinese food, or tofu on occasion, or something with soy in the ingredients, without fear of growing tumors.

I think I'm going to ask my gynecological oncologist about it too when I see him next week. Hmmm, 2 cancers at the same time, I can get 2 opinions.

Anyone else heard about this? Of course, she did say I would never get any estrogen replacement therapy. So far, so good, but I'm post menopausal anyway.

Suzanne

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I have really studied this
    I have really studied this as Danny tries to be a vegetarian and likes to cook with soy. Here is a table of studies at komen.org: http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/Table17Soyintakeandbreastcancerrisk.html
    Basically what I read, in multiple sources, about soy is that some soy may actually reduce our risk, but eating excessive soy raises the risk. Very confusing, isn't it.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member

I have really studied this
    I have really studied this as Danny tries to be a vegetarian and likes to cook with soy. Here is a table of studies at komen.org: http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/Table17Soyintakeandbreastcancerrisk.html
    Basically what I read, in multiple sources, about soy is that some soy may actually reduce our risk, but eating excessive soy raises the risk. Very confusing, isn't it.

Moderation here is the key
    And, I think the real culprit is soy in its whole form, not soy lechin, which is "soy poo" as my onc. referred to it. She said that soy protein, soy beans, and tofu can be eaten or used, but in moderation. So, I've started switching a few things, but really you can't run from soy, it's in everything!! I'm moving for vegetable oil to canola oil, and yes, (oh horrors) have started using butter rather than margarine, because margarine is vegetable oil....and vegetable oil is .....ta-da.....soy.

Diet may be a contributing factor in bc, but not the only one. Your onc. did say "sometimes". So Chinese food once in awhile is going to be a guilty pleasure!! And just to make you jealous....I had some today!!

survives
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    It Is Confusing!
    I think the jury is still out on the whole "soy" issue. My oncologist told me that it's ok to eat soy that is naturally in foods, but in moderation. He also told me to definately stay away from any powdered soy products, like protein drink mixes, et.

Heck...my thought is that if having a good chinese food meal every now and then is gonna give me cancer, let it! LOL.

Sally
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    sal314 said:

It Is Confusing!
    I think the jury is still out on the whole "soy" issue. My oncologist told me that it's ok to eat soy that is naturally in foods, but in moderation. He also told me to definately stay away from any powdered soy products, like protein drink mixes, et.

Heck...my thought is that if having a good chinese food meal every now and then is gonna give me cancer, let it! LOL.

Sally

i stay away from soy, but i
    i stay away from soy, but i do have chinese once in awhile. Soy is also an ingredient in a lot of foods, especially salad dressings.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    meena1 said:

i stay away from soy, but i
    i stay away from soy, but i do have chinese once in awhile. Soy is also an ingredient in a lot of foods, especially salad dressings.

I consulted a dietician at
    I consulted a dietician at the cancer center and they gave me the same advice as Survives. There is a book anti cancer that talks about diet. I have tried to move away from processed foods, to more simple foods. I simply feel they dont have the nutrition I want and dont feel the additives are healthy. I was thinking today, about alcohol. they say it increases your risk, but I almost never drink, so I am thinking that it didnt cause it in my case, it may be ok to start doing it and more often. What do you think? LOL
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    carkris said:

I consulted a dietician at
    I consulted a dietician at the cancer center and they gave me the same advice as Survives. There is a book anti cancer that talks about diet. I have tried to move away from processed foods, to more simple foods. I simply feel they dont have the nutrition I want and dont feel the additives are healthy. I was thinking today, about alcohol. they say it increases your risk, but I almost never drink, so I am thinking that it didnt cause it in my case, it may be ok to start doing it and more often. What do you think? LOL

interesting discussion
    Thanks for bringing this up. I am trying to avoid soy, but it is not possible since some vitamins have soy oil in it
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762

interesting discussion
    Thanks for bringing this up. I am trying to avoid soy, but it is not possible since some vitamins have soy oil in it

So many foods have soy in them!!!
    It makes it hard to avoid, so I do my best since my first oncologist told me that it is a big NO NO. She also said that I have a 66% chance of being around in 10 years from now, so I figure anything I can do to stay in that 66 and out of the 34 would be a good thing! So I watch my diet!!
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    My Onc
    and I just had a discussion about this last week. I was reading a great deal about phyto estrogens and the negative effects of GMO crops. Honestly, he was right there in understanding my worries. But, he also said that I could study this for years and the STRESS was PROBABLY more detrimental than the phytoestrogens!!! Ok, got the point Doc!! Truly, eat healthy real foods, watch out for processed or overly processed stuff (including soy products)too much of the time. Those were his words of wisdom. Love him!