Great book---but not cancer related

meena1
meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all! Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. I just wanted to let you guys know about a new book I am reading, it is called "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo". You have probably heard about this book since it is very popular and i do not know how i missed it. It is a great book. I can't stop reading it, and it has given me a break from obsessing about my cancer. It is a triology, so i can't wait to read book 2 and 3, that will keep me busy for the rest of my diasability and treatment. If you enjoy reading, check this out. Love to all

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Someone just gave it to me!
    I haven't started it yet, so thanks for the recommendation. Another really good book that's not cancer related, but definitely spiritual is "The Shack". Amazing!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Our Womens' Mystery Book Club read this a few months ago....
    OMG~ everyone in my book club, and I mean everyone, myself included, HATED that book! We know it is part of a trilogy, and the author died, but we disliked the book and its bizarre characters so much that none of us was interested in reading the other two in the series! We didn't know what made the main character ( the male character) so attractive to myriad women, and the hacker girl herself? Though her character was definitely more "interesting", she was so over the top that none of us could relate to her at all.

It is interesting that Dragon Tattoo is being read in book clubs everywhere~ and of course it's American movie version has recenty been cast, yet we can't figure out the appeal!

We are a group of a dozen women from all walks of life; married, single, 30-something and up, working, retired etc etc. Apretty good cross section I would say. And yet none of us liked this book. We have only had 100% consensus for one other book, In The Woods by Tana French.

But, Tattoo will certainly get a discussion started, that's for sure!

Hugs,
    and happy reading~ I highly recommend reading no matter what!!!

Chen♥
  • meena1
    chenheart said:

Our Womens' Mystery Book Club read this a few months ago....
    OMG~ everyone in my book club, and I mean everyone, myself included, HATED that book! We know it is part of a trilogy, and the author died, but we disliked the book and its bizarre characters so much that none of us was interested in reading the other two in the series! We didn't know what made the main character ( the male character) so attractive to myriad women, and the hacker girl herself? Though her character was definitely more "interesting", she was so over the top that none of us could relate to her at all.

It is interesting that Dragon Tattoo is being read in book clubs everywhere~ and of course it's American movie version has recenty been cast, yet we can't figure out the appeal!

We are a group of a dozen women from all walks of life; married, single, 30-something and up, working, retired etc etc. Apretty good cross section I would say. And yet none of us liked this book. We have only had 100% consensus for one other book, In The Woods by Tana French.

But, Tattoo will certainly get a discussion started, that's for sure!

Hugs,
    and happy reading~ I highly recommend reading no matter what!!!

Chen♥

oops...maybe i better stop
    oops...maybe i better stop recommending it!! but i love it and it will get me through chemo sessions. I love the girl.
  • chenheart
    meena1 said:

oops...maybe i better stop
    oops...maybe i better stop recommending it!! but i love it and it will get me through chemo sessions. I love the girl.

Heavens no! Don't stop
    Heavens no! Don't stop recommending it at all! Our book club is definitely in the minority! This book is a world wide phenom! Book clubs everywhere are reading and loving this book! I found it extremely fascinating that no one in my book club liked it! I am not sure if that too is an anomoly! Wouldn't it be funny if we are the only 12 women on the planet who didn't "get" the book?! LOL

Read and recommend, girlfriend! I am really glad that this has fired up up enough to keep you occupied during chemo, and that you wanted to share it with all of us!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    chenheart said:

Heavens no! Don't stop
    Heavens no! Don't stop recommending it at all! Our book club is definitely in the minority! This book is a world wide phenom! Book clubs everywhere are reading and loving this book! I found it extremely fascinating that no one in my book club liked it! I am not sure if that too is an anomoly! Wouldn't it be funny if we are the only 12 women on the planet who didn't "get" the book?! LOL

Read and recommend, girlfriend! I am really glad that this has fired up up enough to keep you occupied during chemo, and that you wanted to share it with all of us!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Just a thought
    Not everyone is going to like a book that I like, and I may not like the book that someone else likes, BUT-------------

This is a great thread starter!! Can we keep it going, and put our books that we are reading this summer.....sort of our own book club. The other board that I belong to has started this, and I've gotten some good ideas, and added my own as well.

And, "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" trilogy has gotten mixed reviews on that site as well. I haven't read it yet, but our library can't keep it on the shelf!!! I'm on a waiting list.

Anyway, thoughts on our own book club??? Could be fun!

Jennifer
  • chenheart
    survives said:

Just a thought
    Not everyone is going to like a book that I like, and I may not like the book that someone else likes, BUT-------------

This is a great thread starter!! Can we keep it going, and put our books that we are reading this summer.....sort of our own book club. The other board that I belong to has started this, and I've gotten some good ideas, and added my own as well.

And, "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" trilogy has gotten mixed reviews on that site as well. I haven't read it yet, but our library can't keep it on the shelf!!! I'm on a waiting list.

Anyway, thoughts on our own book club??? Could be fun!

Jennifer

Yes! Great idea! Something
    Yes! Great idea! Something to weigh in on other than cancer and treatment! I like it! Heaven knows we don't have to agree on books~ remember the Required Reading Lists in school? LOL As long as we don't give away the endings or any surprises! :-)

Our club has books lined up for the next 6 months, and we have the printed questions for as many books as have them~ some don't, and we use "generic" questions!It is great fun, and I look foward to it. The book we will be reading in November is called "Sweet Revenge" and it includes recipes~ our book club is dividing up the recipes ( main course to desserts is included!) and eating the meals from the book while we discuss it! Fun, huh???

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • PinkWillow
    PinkWillow Member Posts: 11
    chenheart said:

Yes! Great idea! Something
    Yes! Great idea! Something to weigh in on other than cancer and treatment! I like it! Heaven knows we don't have to agree on books~ remember the Required Reading Lists in school? LOL As long as we don't give away the endings or any surprises! :-)

Our club has books lined up for the next 6 months, and we have the printed questions for as many books as have them~ some don't, and we use "generic" questions!It is great fun, and I look foward to it. The book we will be reading in November is called "Sweet Revenge" and it includes recipes~ our book club is dividing up the recipes ( main course to desserts is included!) and eating the meals from the book while we discuss it! Fun, huh???

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Our Book Group just finished
    Our Book Group just finished reading "The Next Thing on My List" which turned out to be an easy read AND a great discussion provoker. We had so much fun trying out our own "lists". It may seem a little "close to home" to talk about a bucket list, but we kept it light. Our next book is "Look Again".
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Our Book Group just finished reading "The Next Thing on My List" which turned out to be an easy read AND a great discussion provoker. We had so much fun trying out our own "lists". It may seem a little "close to home" to talk about a bucket list, but we kept it light. Our next book is "Look Again".

I will add this book to my list ... I have difficulties often
    remembering things .. seriiously -- damn chemo brain!! I hope to move up from 'See Spot Run' book series, soon.

I am also working on puzzles, hand // eye coordination - per my PT ..side effort of chemo therapy.

Vicki Sam ...
  • chenheart

Our group is exclusively
    Our group is exclusively mysteries~we also had an Easy Read last month, namely "Dog On It"~ a mystery told from the viewpoint of the detectives dog! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I've got a Nook and download
    I've got a Nook and download ebooks from Gutenberg.org. A site called manybooks.net converts the books to e-files also. The good thing about the ereaders is you can increase the text size.
  • chenheart
    Marcia527 said:

I've got a Nook and download
    I've got a Nook and download ebooks from Gutenberg.org. A site called manybooks.net converts the books to e-files also. The good thing about the ereaders is you can increase the text size.

My sister in law loves her
    My sister in law loves her Nook! I just got one as well~ mine was a gift, actually, but I am very resistant to it. I know that the small, cozy bookstore in my town, with leather chairs, coffee, and a plethora of books, old and new is suffering greatly from people now downloading books. So, my 2 month old Nook is still in its shrink-wrap, hidden in a corner, lest anyone ( as in Reggie!) should ask how I am liking it! LOL

I am feeling rather like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail"....can't stop "progress" but that doesn't mean I have to like it! I mean, really, I used to practically live in Hallmark stores~ now I send ecards 99% of the time. Pathetic, I am. I make myself sad~ not to mention the sadness in seeing card and stationary stores close down. Moving forward is not always a good thing...don't even start me on kids not having to learn penmanship, cursive or spelling because they all use computers! What will happen to bundles of Love Letters tied with ribbon being found in an attic? Unless we find cell phones and a charger, and the sender or recipient hasn't deleted them, there will be no treasures for the great-grandchildren or antique hunters. Could anything be any less romantic and touching than finding a 50 year old cell-phone??? :(

Ok, off of my soap-box and back to the laundry! Now, if someone could invent a computer which would sort, wash, dry, fold and put my stuff away, now we're talking! LOL

Sigh!
    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Marcia527
    chenheart said:

My sister in law loves her
    My sister in law loves her Nook! I just got one as well~ mine was a gift, actually, but I am very resistant to it. I know that the small, cozy bookstore in my town, with leather chairs, coffee, and a plethora of books, old and new is suffering greatly from people now downloading books. So, my 2 month old Nook is still in its shrink-wrap, hidden in a corner, lest anyone ( as in Reggie!) should ask how I am liking it! LOL

I am feeling rather like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail"....can't stop "progress" but that doesn't mean I have to like it! I mean, really, I used to practically live in Hallmark stores~ now I send ecards 99% of the time. Pathetic, I am. I make myself sad~ not to mention the sadness in seeing card and stationary stores close down. Moving forward is not always a good thing...don't even start me on kids not having to learn penmanship, cursive or spelling because they all use computers! What will happen to bundles of Love Letters tied with ribbon being found in an attic? Unless we find cell phones and a charger, and the sender or recipient hasn't deleted them, there will be no treasures for the great-grandchildren or antique hunters. Could anything be any less romantic and touching than finding a 50 year old cell-phone??? :(

Ok, off of my soap-box and back to the laundry! Now, if someone could invent a computer which would sort, wash, dry, fold and put my stuff away, now we're talking! LOL

Sigh!
    Hugs,
    Chen♥

My Nook was a gift also from
    My Nook was a gift also from my son. But there is a reason I need it. I shake with Parkinson's and was finding it difficult to hold a book still enough to read it. I almost gave up reading. Parkinson's robs you of doing things like you used to. I have trouble doing laundry too but I work at it. I've had to find other ways of doing some things, some things I just do slowly, and some I've had to delegate to others. There is no cure. It's a struggle. It's hard to type. Some others with Parkinson's talk about voice activated software. I don't know about that. I'd mispronounce the words and get something I didn't mean! Oh well.

I like handkerchiefs too. :>) and cloth napkins.

I might add that book stores are charging to download books also so just have to change a little. Kind of like having Parkinson's.
  • chenheart
    Marcia527 said:

My Nook was a gift also from
    My Nook was a gift also from my son. But there is a reason I need it. I shake with Parkinson's and was finding it difficult to hold a book still enough to read it. I almost gave up reading. Parkinson's robs you of doing things like you used to. I have trouble doing laundry too but I work at it. I've had to find other ways of doing some things, some things I just do slowly, and some I've had to delegate to others. There is no cure. It's a struggle. It's hard to type. Some others with Parkinson's talk about voice activated software. I don't know about that. I'd mispronounce the words and get something I didn't mean! Oh well.

I like handkerchiefs too. :>) and cloth napkins.

I might add that book stores are charging to download books also so just have to change a little. Kind of like having Parkinson's.

Don't misunderstand me! I
    Don't misunderstand me! I didn't say there isn't a need or a great reason/use for Nooks and Kindles~ and I love many of their features! I am just, as I said earlier, sad for ME! :-)
    I can't imagine not underlining, or dog-earing, or going to a book signing~even though I know many cringe at the thought of writing in books!

My sister lives in a mobile home, well trailer, actually, and doesn't have room for an extensive book collection. A Nook would be perfect for her, except she can't afford to download them~ so her problem remains the same! I sent her a box of paperbacks last week which I picked up at a local thrift store. They were 20 Cents apiece! She can read them , toss them, re-gift them, whatever she likes!

Seriously, how does one "browse" through downloadable books? The neighborhood store I go to even gives credit for used books! So, I bag up my James Patterson, my Ladies Detective Agency series, and any other good books I don't want to keep, and exchange them for store credit! Good on the purchase of other books or even coffee. I like it sooo much!

I have a scary feeling that IF I ever open my Nook I will love it and wonder why I hesitated so long~ so I am not going to open it! Yet. Next thing ya know, the book club will be on Skype and we won't have to leave the sanctity of our homes at all! NOOOOOO!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen
  • meena1
    chenheart said:

Don't misunderstand me! I didn't say there isn't a need or a great reason/use for Nooks and Kindles~ and I love many of their features! I am just, as I said earlier, sad for ME! :-)
    I can't imagine not underlining, or dog-earing, or going to a book signing~even though I know many cringe at the thought of writing in books!

My sister lives in a mobile home, well trailer, actually, and doesn't have room for an extensive book collection. A Nook would be perfect for her, except she can't afford to download them~ so her problem remains the same! I sent her a box of paperbacks last week which I picked up at a local thrift store. They were 20 Cents apiece! She can read them , toss them, re-gift them, whatever she likes!

Seriously, how does one "browse" through downloadable books? The neighborhood store I go to even gives credit for used books! So, I bag up my James Patterson, my Ladies Detective Agency series, and any other good books I don't want to keep, and exchange them for store credit! Good on the purchase of other books or even coffee. I like it sooo much!

I have a scary feeling that IF I ever open my Nook I will love it and wonder why I hesitated so long~ so I am not going to open it! Yet. Next thing ya know, the book club will be on Skype and we won't have to leave the sanctity of our homes at all! NOOOOOO!!!!

Hugs,
    Chen

I loved the book "Look
    I loved the book "Look Again", i loved the ending. I also had been reading Elin Hildenbrand, she writes summer chick books about the breach and woman topics. I love to read, just hoping i do not get chemo brain like last time and i had trouble concentrating.
  • Marcia527
    chenheart said:

Hugs,
    Chen

Chen
    Your sister should look at the sites I mentioned because they are free. They are books that are out of copyright. So they are old. They had a different language back then. She may not like that. I get tired of it sometimes but right now I'm reading The Prisoner of Zenda and like it. I tried Moby **** and about gagged and decided I didn't care how it ended altho everybody knows how it ends.

The manybooks site has suggestions so if you don't know what to look for you just try one of those.
  • chenheart
    Marcia527 said:

Chen
    Your sister should look at the sites I mentioned because they are free. They are books that are out of copyright. So they are old. They had a different language back then. She may not like that. I get tired of it sometimes but right now I'm reading The Prisoner of Zenda and like it. I tried Moby **** and about gagged and decided I didn't care how it ended altho everybody knows how it ends.

The manybooks site has suggestions so if you don't know what to look for you just try one of those.

Call me Ahab...or is that Ishmael? LOL
    Awesome, Marcia! Maybe I will let go of my Nook and send it to my sis so she can do some free downloads. Being that they are old books certainly can't matter too much, as I get some pretty yellowed ones at the thrift store! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    CSN Book Club
    Danny and I loved all of the Larsson trilogy books. The heroine was edgy (Asperger's-like) and there was a lot of violence, but I enjoyed their fast pace and I also really enjoyed reading about Sweden. I have to confess that I enjoyed the Lisabeth character. My favorite was the 2nd one.

I have a kindle my siblings gave me and I read every night. It seems to help to take my mind off of things. Some books that I have really enjoyed lately:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
    Cutting for Stone
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    The Invisible Bridge
    The Mercy of Thin Air

Chen, if you like mysteries, you might like The Shadow of the Wind or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie? Although my daughter is a REAL mystery reader and prefers the Agatha Christie, Rex Stout kind.
  • roseyposey333
    roseyposey333 Member Posts: 68
    Mama G said:

Someone just gave it to me!
    I haven't started it yet, so thanks for the recommendation. Another really good book that's not cancer related, but definitely spiritual is "The Shack". Amazing!

Loved "The Shack", it was a great inspirational book that brought me to tears.

I am waiting for "The Girl with the Tatoo", oops, is that the correct name,anyway
    I ordered it since my sister-n-law recommeded it but she and I have different taste in lots of things so we'll see.

I agree with the others that it doesn't matter what you read as long as you enjoy reading.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member

CSN Book Club
    Danny and I loved all of the Larsson trilogy books. The heroine was edgy (Asperger's-like) and there was a lot of violence, but I enjoyed their fast pace and I also really enjoyed reading about Sweden. I have to confess that I enjoyed the Lisabeth character. My favorite was the 2nd one.

I have a kindle my siblings gave me and I read every night. It seems to help to take my mind off of things. Some books that I have really enjoyed lately:

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
    Cutting for Stone
    Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
    The Invisible Bridge
    The Mercy of Thin Air

Chen, if you like mysteries, you might like The Shadow of the Wind or The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie? Although my daughter is a REAL mystery reader and prefers the Agatha Christie, Rex Stout kind.

I like that!! :-)
    CSN Bookclub!! We have a name!!! Chen, didn't you find "Dog on it" laugh out loud funny? I loved that book. Sort of a "Hank the Cowdog" for adults. Can't stand "Hank the Cowdog". Went to a reading once, and I couldn't stand the person who did "Hank's voice!! Ruined it for me!! Oh, well.

I need to get my list, and find out what I've read, but my favorite so far this summer is "The Help". Wonderful book. It's about life in the south during the Civil Rights movement, and how "the help" was treated. It will open your eyes, and in my case, got teary!! But it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. And, it is being made into a movie. Pardon me as I stampede past you ladies to get in the front of the line for a ticket!

Jennifer
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    survives said:

I like that!! :-)
    CSN Bookclub!! We have a name!!! Chen, didn't you find "Dog on it" laugh out loud funny? I loved that book. Sort of a "Hank the Cowdog" for adults. Can't stand "Hank the Cowdog". Went to a reading once, and I couldn't stand the person who did "Hank's voice!! Ruined it for me!! Oh, well.

I need to get my list, and find out what I've read, but my favorite so far this summer is "The Help". Wonderful book. It's about life in the south during the Civil Rights movement, and how "the help" was treated. It will open your eyes, and in my case, got teary!! But it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. And, it is being made into a movie. Pardon me as I stampede past you ladies to get in the front of the line for a ticket!

Jennifer

Two Slice Hillie
    Two slice Hillie was my favorite. That was a great book! I wonder who will be in the movie?