So I went to Trader Joe's today

Snowkitty
Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So I went to Trader Joe's today. First time for me because I heard they had a lot of organic products/meats. Well, I was reading labels and was confused. Some chicken was fed corn and soy. Well I'm ER/PR+ and shouldn't have soy. Some meat was organic free range, but didn't specify if the grass it fed on was pesticide free.

Well this semi-young store manager came to my aid with a binder stating exactly what every organic meat product was fed, from soy, no soy, pesticide free grass, etc. Spent at least 1/2 hour with me. I told him (little tear falling from my eye) that I had last chemo yesterday and I really wanted to stay away from all the crap they put in meat. He congratulated me and I continued shopping.

Later he found me and gave me a big bouquet of fall flowers.

Trader Joe's has a new customer.

Cindy

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    That was so nice.

That was so nice.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Oh yeah~ I LIVE at Trader
    Oh yeah~ I LIVE at Trader Joe's! Reggie and I love that place, and I am so not surprised that you had that kind of experience there. Awesome! There are 3 in Santa Barbara Ca where I live, and one in particular has a beautiful mural of some of the area history painted on the wall. Included are Reggie's great-grandmother who is the matriarch of the Tribe, as well as a painting of the plank canoe the tribe makes an annual ocean voyage in.
    But I digress! LOL

I am so happy that your experience was good~ the prices aren't bad either!

Hugs and good health,
    Chen♥
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    chenheart said:

Oh yeah~ I LIVE at Trader
    Oh yeah~ I LIVE at Trader Joe's! Reggie and I love that place, and I am so not surprised that you had that kind of experience there. Awesome! There are 3 in Santa Barbara Ca where I live, and one in particular has a beautiful mural of some of the area history painted on the wall. Included are Reggie's great-grandmother who is the matriarch of the Tribe, as well as a painting of the plank canoe the tribe makes an annual ocean voyage in.
    But I digress! LOL

I am so happy that your experience was good~ the prices aren't bad either!

Hugs and good health,
    Chen♥

If Only
    I'd live at Trader Joe's too if I only could. Such a fun store to visit. Unfortunately I don't have one in my immediate area - have to drive a little over an hour to get to one. My daughter lives in the same town as one so when I visit her, guess where I go!!!!!The last time I got these dark chocolate covered coffee beans that are my current guilty pleasure!!!

Hugs, Sally
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    How sweet!
    I've never been to Trader Joe's myself but I do frequent Whole Foods. And like you, I'm ER/PR+ and should avoid soy. I do try to buy free range chicken, beef, eggs and organic dairy, etc. Some store employees definitely go above and beyond in helping customers. It's nice to know there are still decent people in the world who care :-)
    Char
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    cahjah75 said:

How sweet!
    I've never been to Trader Joe's myself but I do frequent Whole Foods. And like you, I'm ER/PR+ and should avoid soy. I do try to buy free range chicken, beef, eggs and organic dairy, etc. Some store employees definitely go above and beyond in helping customers. It's nice to know there are still decent people in the world who care :-)
    Char

TJ's is one of my favorites too!
    I am 60 miles from any sort of real grocery store, and TJ's is even farther. Even so, I try to shop there about once a month. There are a number of items that are routinely on my list. I love that they have milk and yogurt from cows that were not given the artificial hormones to stimulate milk production. They also have unsalted roasted mixed nuts. This pleases hubbydearest, because he's supposed to limit salt whenever possible. They also have unsalted roased sunflower seeds, which I love on salads. Each time I go, I try out something new that looks good. I was there a couple of days ago and bought some multi-grain tortilla chips. Very tasty, and probably healthier than regular corn chips.

I also like Whole Foods, although it is also not convenient for me to shop there on a regular basis. The Sunflower Markets are another favorite of mine for fresh produce at decent prices. Not everything is organic at any of these stores, but when organic is available, they do stock it.

G.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    How Cool!
    I love that store! And their $2.99 bottles of wine! LOL.

Sally
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member

TJ's is one of my favorites too!
    I am 60 miles from any sort of real grocery store, and TJ's is even farther. Even so, I try to shop there about once a month. There are a number of items that are routinely on my list. I love that they have milk and yogurt from cows that were not given the artificial hormones to stimulate milk production. They also have unsalted roasted mixed nuts. This pleases hubbydearest, because he's supposed to limit salt whenever possible. They also have unsalted roased sunflower seeds, which I love on salads. Each time I go, I try out something new that looks good. I was there a couple of days ago and bought some multi-grain tortilla chips. Very tasty, and probably healthier than regular corn chips.

I also like Whole Foods, although it is also not convenient for me to shop there on a regular basis. The Sunflower Markets are another favorite of mine for fresh produce at decent prices. Not everything is organic at any of these stores, but when organic is available, they do stock it.

G.

distance
    Geez! I thought I was the only one that far from everything. I'm in NW NM on the Navajo rez. Where are you?

Maureen
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    What a great Trader Joe's
    What a great Trader Joe's story. We shop their too. I find the staff at the store to be friendly and helpful too. That manager deserves to be congratulated on being a such a kind soul.

Cindy... congratulations on completing chemo! Hooray for You! Take care.
    BL
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    sal314 said:

How Cool!
    I love that store! And their $2.99 bottles of wine! LOL.

Sally

Two Buck Chuck! LOL

Two Buck Chuck! LOL
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

What a great Trader Joe's
    What a great Trader Joe's story. We shop their too. I find the staff at the store to be friendly and helpful too. That manager deserves to be congratulated on being a such a kind soul.

Cindy... congratulations on completing chemo! Hooray for You! Take care.
    BL

I Love 'Trader Joe's' ... I get lost just reading and searching
    for new foods .. ! I go in for 2 items, come out with 30 ... the special attention paid to you and your food desires there is uncommon.

Another Chemo Queen .. has finished ... Yipee!!! Great news!

Dare to dream of a life, without chemo.

Vicki Sam
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    My favorite too
    What a lovely experience. Nice to find people who go beyond their job descriptions. Trader Joe's is one of my favorites too. I llke their cereals, hummus, fruit/veggies,frozen veggies,yogurt, crabcakes etc.I find something new almost everytime I shop there. They are opening one closer to me but for now, I travel to lower Manhattan to the TJ's there.
    Hugs, K
  • ilferro1
    ilferro1 Member Posts: 20
    VickiSam said:

I Love 'Trader Joe's' ... I get lost just reading and searching
    for new foods .. ! I go in for 2 items, come out with 30 ... the special attention paid to you and your food desires there is uncommon.

Another Chemo Queen .. has finished ... Yipee!!! Great news!

Dare to dream of a life, without chemo.

Vicki Sam

Hi
    So nice to hear you had such a wonderful experience at Trader Joe's. You don't hear these often. Its a neat place.
    Congrats on your last chemo. Enjoy your life.