Anyone use chlorophyll?

Mama G
Mama G Member Posts: 762
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a friend tell me that it helps your body to "detoxify" after chemo and alliviates any side effects similar to the numbness I'm experiencing.

Comments

• survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Before you use anything like this....
    check with your oncologist first. You never know when this type of "remedy" is going to interfere with your chemo.

Just a thought.
  • Mama G
    survives said:

Before you use anything like this....
    check with your oncologist first. You never know when this type of "remedy" is going to interfere with your chemo.

Just a thought.

Thanks survives!
    That's how I feel about it, but my friend said her oncologist recommended it. That's why I put it up on here before I even think about getting it. Wanted to hear from you gals.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Mama G said:

Thanks survives!
    That's how I feel about it, but my friend said her oncologist recommended it. That's why I put it up on here before I even think about getting it. Wanted to hear from you gals.

never heard of using it.

never heard of using it.
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I've not heard of it either.
    I've not heard of it either. were do you get it ? Is it a supplement? What does it do?
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member

I've not heard of it either.
    I've not heard of it either. were do you get it ? Is it a supplement? What does it do?

Yes Ma'am
    I take alfalfa tablets; approved by my onc. It is a great cleanser. During the Civil War doctors used to pack wounds with alfalfa and other high chlorophyl plants to stave off infection. I have had no constipation or diarrhea during treatment. I have also only had 2 mouth sores that healed up within a day or so. I have taken alfalfa on a daily basis for years, so I am a firm believer that it helps keeps me regular and detoxifies the body. It also helps calcium get absorbed more efficiently in the body.

I get mine from Shaklee, but you can find it at GNC or any other health food store in tablet form. Might be able to find it at WalMart.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Yes Ma'am
    I take alfalfa tablets; approved by my onc. It is a great cleanser. During the Civil War doctors used to pack wounds with alfalfa and other high chlorophyl plants to stave off infection. I have had no constipation or diarrhea during treatment. I have also only had 2 mouth sores that healed up within a day or so. I have taken alfalfa on a daily basis for years, so I am a firm believer that it helps keeps me regular and detoxifies the body. It also helps calcium get absorbed more efficiently in the body.

I get mine from Shaklee, but you can find it at GNC or any other health food store in tablet form. Might be able to find it at WalMart.

does alfalfa help with fluid
    does alfalfa help with fluid too? In the deep recesses of my mind I thought this.
  • Mama G
    carkris said:

does alfalfa help with fluid
    does alfalfa help with fluid too? In the deep recesses of my mind I thought this.

Is Alfalfa a natural form of chlorophyll?
    just wondering...
  • Chickadee1955
    Mama G said:

Is Alfalfa a natural form of chlorophyll?
    just wondering...

chlorophyll is what makes
    chlorophyll is what makes green plants green. alfalfa has a very high concentration of chlorophyll. I love the stuff.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

Yes Ma'am

FYI alfalfa
    Sloan Kettering advises against alfalfa if you have an estrogen sensitive tumor.

"Alfalfa sprout extracts exhibit potent estrogenic activity in vitro; therefore patients with estrogen-sensitive cancer should avoid alfalfa supplementation. Further, rats fed alfalfa are more sensitive to colon cancer, although similar effects have not been observed in humans."
    www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69114.cfm
  • Chickadee1955

FYI alfalfa
    Sloan Kettering advises against alfalfa if you have an estrogen sensitive tumor.

"Alfalfa sprout extracts exhibit potent estrogenic activity in vitro; therefore patients with estrogen-sensitive cancer should avoid alfalfa supplementation. Further, rats fed alfalfa are more sensitive to colon cancer, although similar effects have not been observed in humans."
    www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69114.cfm

Interesting that my onc has
    Interesting that my onc has no issue with using alfalfa. I wonder if the sprouts differ from the leaves in their 'estrogenic activity in vitro'.