How do you deal with your bald head???

mrs gadget
mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I just shaved my head over yesterday and it was an extremely traumatic experience. I thought I would be able to get thru a couple of treatments before the hair went, but it only took a few weeks after the first treatment. Since then I haven't wanted to leave my house and am finding that my wig makes my head roast!! How do you get thru it? How do you feel sexy again. I have been so afraid to be intimate with my husband because I am so self consious of my head...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Mrs Gadget..

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Awww, I'm sorry
    Yes, we women and hair do have an emotional attachment. I lost mine about 3 weeks into the 1st treatment. I thought I "had it together" and was prepared but I had to have a good cry and just let it all out.

Since we do associate hair as part of feeling sexy, it's kind of hard feeling like that without it. I read and this is so true, that it's all about the attitude. Your husband will "feed" off of how you feel about it. Granted, this doesn't mean that you have to be this strong, confident woman all the time because that's impossible, especially going through something like this. However, you're still the same sexy woman you were before this and there's no need to put off the romance waiting for your hair to grow back.

I had a wig and yes, it was hot but that's what I felt comfortable wearing. I've seen some really pretty scarves and bandanas.

Just experiment with what you feel best in.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    sea60 said:

Awww, I'm sorry
    Yes, we women and hair do have an emotional attachment. I lost mine about 3 weeks into the 1st treatment. I thought I "had it together" and was prepared but I had to have a good cry and just let it all out.

Since we do associate hair as part of feeling sexy, it's kind of hard feeling like that without it. I read and this is so true, that it's all about the attitude. Your husband will "feed" off of how you feel about it. Granted, this doesn't mean that you have to be this strong, confident woman all the time because that's impossible, especially going through something like this. However, you're still the same sexy woman you were before this and there's no need to put off the romance waiting for your hair to grow back.

I had a wig and yes, it was hot but that's what I felt comfortable wearing. I've seen some really pretty scarves and bandanas.

Just experiment with what you feel best in.

Hugs,

Sylvia

Not happy, but sort of having fun
    I'll be the odd woman out. I'm not happy with no hair, but I am having fun with hats and scarves. No wigs for me. My favorite scarves are Titillating Turbans followed by Beaubeaus. I have lots of really cute hats, too. Most can be worn after I have hair and I might wear them. I wear make up every day (afterall it's all the grooming I have to do) and big earrings. I still have most of my eyelashes and eyebrows and with mascara I look perfectly fine. I'm happy I still have them, because I have no hair anywhere else (well, I do have some on my head as well). I'm not comfortable in public with no hair, but I just ran into a woman about my age wearing no head covering and she was fine with it. We had a nice conversation. I am hairless in the house, tho.

I'm making a silk purse out of a sow's ear and calling this a fashion statement. Probably spent more on scarves and hats than a wig, but I like them better.

Suzanne
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762

I'll be the odd woman out. I'm not happy with no hair, but I am having fun with hats and scarves. No wigs for me. My favorite scarves are Titillating Turbans followed by Beaubeaus. I have lots of really cute hats, too. Most can be worn after I have hair and I might wear them. I wear make up every day (afterall it's all the grooming I have to do) and big earrings. I still have most of my eyelashes and eyebrows and with mascara I look perfectly fine. I'm happy I still have them, because I have no hair anywhere else (well, I do have some on my head as well). I'm not comfortable in public with no hair, but I just ran into a woman about my age wearing no head covering and she was fine with it. We had a nice conversation. I am hairless in the house, tho.

I'm making a silk purse out of a sow's ear and calling this a fashion statement. Probably spent more on scarves and hats than a wig, but I like them better.

Suzanne

yes EARRINGS are a must!
    and make up.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member

Suzanne

Another "odd woman out"
    I've said it before: Was I happy to lose my hair? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why? Because all I have to fight the cancer are the chemo drugs that cause
    the hairloss. Sorry, I know it's a little traumatic, but I would stay bald
    forever if it meant beating this! I'm about 90% likely to lose it again in
    the next couple of weeks, for the second time in about 4 months. It's just
    that in the grand scheme of things, hair isn't that important. MM
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Suzanne

I have to say I was to sick
    I have to say I was to sick to think about being sexy, (my poor husband) but its something you get used to and dont think about as time goes by. I was even joking with my husband last night, we were in a line and the guy with the crutches was allowed to the front( as I said I was so sick that happened to me when I went to vote) and I said darn, this is when I need the scarf. My hair just looks short like I intended it that way. So it passes and gets better. Really!!!!
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    carkris said:

I have to say I was to sick
    I have to say I was to sick to think about being sexy, (my poor husband) but its something you get used to and dont think about as time goes by. I was even joking with my husband last night, we were in a line and the guy with the crutches was allowed to the front( as I said I was so sick that happened to me when I went to vote) and I said darn, this is when I need the scarf. My hair just looks short like I intended it that way. So it passes and gets better. Really!!!!

I feel like crying when i
    I feel like crying when i look at my bald head...still. Earrings and make up help, thats a definite. I agree the wig is terribly hot in the summer. I like to wear a Phillies breast cancer hat, and i have these little cotton sleep and turban hats to wear around and to bed, my head does not sweat in them. I got them from the TLC web site. it is TLC.com. They are the most comfortable and they stay put
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    So Sorry
    I wasn't as tramatized as I thought I would have been. I (sic) even told my husband after he had made me mad, that I could just pull my hair out. I pulled two lg handfuls out. Of course it didn't hurt. I thought it was kind of funny. people always say that, but I actually got to do it. Don't think he thought it was that funny. Then we just shaved the rest off. I liked my bandanas. I was a baldy in the winter. So I purchased a cool hat from Old navy. Have enough hair now to stay warm this year.
    Your hair is not who you are. All my scars, lack of boob, burning feet, fatigue, hot flashes, bone aches, insomia and more are just a warriors battle scars. It's not who I am, it's what I've overcome. Halloween is coming. Just think of the possibilites. Wear ur bald head proudly, and paint a face on the back of ur head to see where you've been : ) Feel better and don't worry, it will return. Katz
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    No wigs for me it is just to
    No wigs for me it is just to hot here in fl. I have never been a hat or scarf wearer. So it is hard for me. I don't wear makeup or jewelry either. So I guess I am S.O.L. I do wear scarfs out because I cant go with a bald head. I guess I'm not that brave. I do have some fuzz on my head it is about 1/2 inch long but very sparse. I don't know why it don't all fall out. I hate not having hair but it is all in the fight so , so be it. I will endure anything that saves my life. Best to all Kay
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

No wigs for me it is just to
    No wigs for me it is just to hot here in fl. I have never been a hat or scarf wearer. So it is hard for me. I don't wear makeup or jewelry either. So I guess I am S.O.L. I do wear scarfs out because I cant go with a bald head. I guess I'm not that brave. I do have some fuzz on my head it is about 1/2 inch long but very sparse. I don't know why it don't all fall out. I hate not having hair but it is all in the fight so , so be it. I will endure anything that saves my life. Best to all Kay

It is a tramatic experience
    It is a tramatic experience but I agree with some of the other girls, makeup and earrings help a lot. I got some cute scarfs and tubans and I always put a pretty pin on my turbans just to give that extra bling. I have 2 wigs but never could get used to wearing them very much.

You just get used to it and now that my hair is growing and very curly I realize how easy my bald head was! Gotta find the positve right? LOL
    I always had long straight hair so for me it was quite hard. But it's growing back now and I had it shaved 2 weeks into chemo which was in July 09.
    Hugs and hugs,
    Wanda
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437

It is a tramatic experience
    It is a tramatic experience but I agree with some of the other girls, makeup and earrings help a lot. I got some cute scarfs and tubans and I always put a pretty pin on my turbans just to give that extra bling. I have 2 wigs but never could get used to wearing them very much.

You just get used to it and now that my hair is growing and very curly I realize how easy my bald head was! Gotta find the positve right? LOL
    I always had long straight hair so for me it was quite hard. But it's growing back now and I had it shaved 2 weeks into chemo which was in July 09.
    Hugs and hugs,
    Wanda

I totally agree with
    I totally agree with everyone else here. I was bald during the winter months, so I did enjoy wearing wigs, I had 4, diff length and colors. I really had fun with it! During the night I was self consious so I wore a couple of very thin night caps you can get at the TLC site or any place that sells wigs. It was comfortable. feeling sexy, nope didnt feel it for a long time either, and just because of no hair, the 22 lbs weight gain didnt help either. Keep lines of comunication with your husband open, this is very important, for months after I started chemo I felt so unattractive and my husband not making any moves didnt help. Finally we had a text chat(this was easier for me) And it turned out he still found me very attractive and still wanted ME! He was just afraid and didnt wnt to push, he was afraid cause I was always to tired and in some kind of pain, he wanted to wait till I felt comfortable enough for any physical intimacy. That sure helped boost my self confidence alot, I wish we would have talked sooner, could have saved myself a lot of heartache. Makeup, I have been wearing makeup since I was 14 so putting it on every day was nothing new to me. Thru the Cancer Society they have a program called Look Good Feel Good. You get free makeup and creams that are best for us and they show you how to apply it, especially for those of us who lost eyebrows and eyelashes. Give them a call, I did and it was worth it.

Lupe
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Pinkpower said:

I totally agree with
    I totally agree with everyone else here. I was bald during the winter months, so I did enjoy wearing wigs, I had 4, diff length and colors. I really had fun with it! During the night I was self consious so I wore a couple of very thin night caps you can get at the TLC site or any place that sells wigs. It was comfortable. feeling sexy, nope didnt feel it for a long time either, and just because of no hair, the 22 lbs weight gain didnt help either. Keep lines of comunication with your husband open, this is very important, for months after I started chemo I felt so unattractive and my husband not making any moves didnt help. Finally we had a text chat(this was easier for me) And it turned out he still found me very attractive and still wanted ME! He was just afraid and didnt wnt to push, he was afraid cause I was always to tired and in some kind of pain, he wanted to wait till I felt comfortable enough for any physical intimacy. That sure helped boost my self confidence alot, I wish we would have talked sooner, could have saved myself a lot of heartache. Makeup, I have been wearing makeup since I was 14 so putting it on every day was nothing new to me. Thru the Cancer Society they have a program called Look Good Feel Good. You get free makeup and creams that are best for us and they show you how to apply it, especially for those of us who lost eyebrows and eyelashes. Give them a call, I did and it was worth it.

Lupe

Ok .. here's the scoop .. You will be bald for about 6 to
    7 months .. it's okay to cry and let it out! Now with that being said, please go on line - purchase - baseball cap - favorite group, football team .. make sure it has our breast cancer logo .. good timing as October is right around the corner, and many companies have 'breast cancer' accessories available.

It's too hot for a wig .. I never wore a wig, not a wig type of gal .. scarves, hats will be your best bet - for long term coverage.

Right now, Wal-Mart has Pink or White breast cancer baseball hats - located in the golf section for $12.99 ish .. Wear them in PRIDE. Put some makeup on ... hoop earrings .. and attitude -- now your are ready to take on the world! Good Luck ..

SUNSCREEN the back of your scalp, neck area and ear's. Never leave home without sunscreen, PLEASE.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    VickiSam said:

Ok .. here's the scoop .. You will be bald for about 6 to
    7 months .. it's okay to cry and let it out! Now with that being said, please go on line - purchase - baseball cap - favorite group, football team .. make sure it has our breast cancer logo .. good timing as October is right around the corner, and many companies have 'breast cancer' accessories available.

It's too hot for a wig .. I never wore a wig, not a wig type of gal .. scarves, hats will be your best bet - for long term coverage.

Right now, Wal-Mart has Pink or White breast cancer baseball hats - located in the golf section for $12.99 ish .. Wear them in PRIDE. Put some makeup on ... hoop earrings .. and attitude -- now your are ready to take on the world! Good Luck ..

SUNSCREEN the back of your scalp, neck area and ear's. Never leave home without sunscreen, PLEASE.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam

although i dont know this
    although I dont know this new me, dark curly hair I have to say its been easier this summer, with the hot flashes, and I just wash, use some pomade to tame the light socket effect and am good to go. I have lost so much weigh and with the new hair, people who dont see me all the time dont recognize me. This can be very conveient for me. Just saying. I think you have to have some humor about it, it keeps you sane. Be proud of yourself. This is not easy to go through and you are doing it.!!!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    i HATE seeing myself with no
    i HATE seeing myself with no hair. I'm somewhat used to it, but I still hate it. I have a wig that's a little brown bob attached to a black fabric headband that I wear out in public most of the time, but we're still expecting some hot & humid days coming up & it definately heats my head up. What I do is, always have my full "make-up" face on - it makes me feel good. Heavy on the eyeliner, pouty pink shiny lipgloss, and I'm ready to go! I wear my hats around the house when it's chilly. The one thing I have gotten into this week, though, is designer scarves. My favorite indulgence (other than chocolate) is designer handbags -i do have quite a collection of them so I've turned my attention on designer scarves. I bought a beautiful silk Christian Dior one last week, and a few days ago I also bought a silk Coach one. I go really heavy on the dark eyeliner & smoky eye shadow when I wear them & feel fabulous. The silk feels good on my head & keeps me from getting overheated.
    And getting intimate - we just don't do it with the lights on much anymore...my choice, though, not his...we'll get through this sister...crappy as it is, we're doing it.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    First of all you are not
    First of all you are not alone. Wash that bald head with shampoo when you take your shower and then put lotion on it, thats what I did. The lotion was a very mild fragrance and one I could tolerate. I agree full make-up really helps and so do fancy big earrings. Paint on eyebrows, use the eyeliner and whatever other cosmetics you use, but maybe use just a little more to get you thru this temporaty state of events. If the wig is too hot, wear the hats and scarfs. Feeling sexy is an attitude and of course with those days after chemo I usually felt like a wet noodle. When the energy started coming back I'd do all the above and felt feminine and sexy.

also please remember that we are more than this BC, we are more than the loss of hair, we are beautiful strong women fighting the fight.
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    I went through a billion
    I went through a billion emotions with the hair...I decided to look at it as the one thing I got to control in the situation. I didn't do the wig. I called friends and had them send me baseball caps from all over and then bought bandanas that expressed how I felt at any point. Leopard print is my "going out" one. :) The BEST thing to distract from a bald head is a huge smile!!!! You'll notice that people will see the beauty in you that you didn't realize was there!
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    thanks for the support
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the support...It really helps. My battle plan so far has included a wig and I purchased 4 or 5 different hats in various styles. I am still dabbing a little shampoo on my bald head just because it makes me feel like there is still something to wash up there : ) Other than that I am slowly growing used to my new / differnt look . I can't get to a point where going out topless feels comfortable for me but I am working thru it....
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

thanks for the support
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the support...It really helps. My battle plan so far has included a wig and I purchased 4 or 5 different hats in various styles. I am still dabbing a little shampoo on my bald head just because it makes me feel like there is still something to wash up there : ) Other than that I am slowly growing used to my new / differnt look . I can't get to a point where going out topless feels comfortable for me but I am working thru it....

Hats and scarfs
    The wig is very hot. I used scarfs and hats. I wore my wig sometimes, but I was so hot with it on. I know how you feel. I cried for days and I tried not to look in the mirror. You do however get somewhat use to it. Wear a sleeping cap at night, maybe you won't feel so bad then. Hang in there, it does come back, just not fast enough. Good web sight for scarf & hats. www.headcovers.com
  • carkris
    Kat11 said:

Hats and scarfs
    The wig is very hot. I used scarfs and hats. I wore my wig sometimes, but I was so hot with it on. I know how you feel. I cried for days and I tried not to look in the mirror. You do however get somewhat use to it. Wear a sleeping cap at night, maybe you won't feel so bad then. Hang in there, it does come back, just not fast enough. Good web sight for scarf & hats. www.headcovers.com

MissingTexas you have a
    MissingTexas you have a gorgeous smile!
  • How to deal with a bald head
    Whatever you decide to do is fine. If you want to wear scarves or hats, that's what you should do. I wore a crocheted hat that was donated to my doc's office when I went out in the wintertime Other than that, I went bald around the house. My wig also made my head hot and uncomfortable, so when the weather was warm enough, I wore nothing on my head. Sure, I got some stares, but most people "know" why you're bald.

I am fortunate as my husband thinks I'm beautiful no matter what, bald head, no breast, no eyelashes, no eyebrows. He has always told me I was beautiful (even in the mornings and when I was 9 months pregnant and as big as a house) so I know I'm beautiful in his eyes.

I like to apply Forrest Gump's addage about stupidity toward my situation, only instead of "stupid is as stupid does", I say, "sexy is as sexy does".

Hair is nothing in the big scheme of things, so love yourself and be strong and confident.

Hugs,

Reese
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    So Cal Summer and bald.
    I went through chemo from April through September, hot here in Southern California. I could not wear anything on my head, it was too sensitive, besides being too hot. Occasionally, I would wear a hat or scarf if I was in air conditioning, but otherwise bald. I sit in front of a big window at work, and I just told everyone it was OK to point and laugh if they felt like it, but to NEVER give me the "sad" look. I told them if them didn't want to see my bald head, to look the other way because I wasn't going to hide it. I did get a lot of compliments, which does help even if you don't think it's true, but I still startled myself walking past a mirror and getting a glance at the bald head in the mirror.
    So all I can say is whatever makes you comfortable!
    Cat