DIEP Flap reconstruction and radiation - need input

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a mastectomy with DIEP flap recon. back in Jan. Just finished 6 months of chemo and am gearing up for radiation. I just had an appointment with plastic surgeon to discuss what might happen to the flap during rads. Of course he has his concern that there might be some fat necrosis. He said it was pretty much guarranteed I would have some shrinkage of the breast but to what degree he doesn't know. Each person is different.

SOOOOO.... my question is has anyone on this board had DIEP flap recon. and then rads? If so what was your experience with the flap? Did it shrink, was there scar tissue ...? I know we are all different but it would be good to hear what others experiences are.

much appreciated
Mariam

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    No, I had rads first, but
    No, I had rads first, but sending you best wishes and hope that it all goes well.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hi Mariam...I did.
    However, I had Chemo to shrink the tumor, Mastectomy (right), rads, then the DIEP reconstruction surgery.

I have minimal scar tissue under the incision site, but not too bad.

Hope this helps,

Sylvia
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

No, I had rads first, but
    No, I had rads first, but sending you best wishes and hope that it all goes well.

hi
    i had radiation on DIEP. Write me pm fro details. Being diagnosed with stage IIIC I did not have a choice. My plastic surgeon have not mentioned about side effect of radiation on DIEP. it did shrink.
    Hugs
    New flower