Financial burden associated with breast cancer

beach146
beach146 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new to this site. Found out in Sept 09 that I have stage 1 breast cancer in my right breast. Had a lumpectomy done Friday before Thanksgiving. Now I need to start radiation and then chemo. Here is my problem and no one has been able to help me or point me in the right direction. I am 46 yrs old and divorced. I have no medical insurance. I work in a small office where everyone is married and has medical insurance through their spouses. So far I have gotten reduced fees for all my tests and surgery. I know if I got medical insurance now, my treatment will not be paid for for at least a year, if the insurance company would even paid then for treatment if I needed it. Does anyone out there have had this problem? I don't qualify for any charity care, medicaid or any other programs. I work full-time and make more than what is allowed. I have debts that I am still paying for from past credit cards and my kids college bills that my take home salary just bearly pays and now to add my cancer bills. ugh! People have suggested do fundraisers to help pay my medical bills but not sure how that works. I would appreciate any kind of advice. Thank you.

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Welcome...
    Hi and welcome. So glad you found this site. There are many amazing women who will be able to chime in.

I was talking with the American Cancer Society and even though we have insurance, my co-pays are high. She was able to provide me with several links to agencies that were possibilities. Maybe you want to start by contacting your local ACS.

Also, our Cancer Center where I had my treatment, provides assistance. You may want to ask your doc to refer you to the social worker at your center.

If you are having trouble paying your bills, you can also make payment arrangements with the center based on your ability to pay and not your gross salary. Most treatment centers would rather make arrangements and get something back then nothing at all.

Best of luck....I wish you well!
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Beach146
    Hi & Welcome,
    I would recommend you contact the American Cancer Society and explain your situation. (1-800-227-2345) they should be able to help you. They are a great resource for information. I'm so sorry that you are in this situation with not only BC, but to have the burden financially as well.
    So glad you found us!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Cat64 said:

Beach146
    Hi & Welcome,
    I would recommend you contact the American Cancer Society and explain your situation. (1-800-227-2345) they should be able to help you. They are a great resource for information. I'm so sorry that you are in this situation with not only BC, but to have the burden financially as well.
    So glad you found us!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Hi ♥

Calling the American Cancer Society is a great first step! If they can't help you out financially, they will give you other resources to explore. Also, the Susan B. Komen website has information on help. Good luck to you!

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Jeanne D said:

Hi ♥

Calling the American Cancer Society is a great first step! If they can't help you out financially, they will give you other resources to explore. Also, the Susan B. Komen website has information on help. Good luck to you!

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>

Also talk to your doctors.
    Also talk to your doctors. They should be able to help you with the drugs needed from the drug companies.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Financial Challenges
    I have worried, too, so I researched a lot of info. The following sites offer tips:

breastcancer.org/tips/paying/

The National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund (google it--it has a website)

The IRS also offers assistance via tax reductions for some people.

Good luck! Sandy
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86

Financial Challenges
    I have worried, too, so I researched a lot of info. The following sites offer tips:

breastcancer.org/tips/paying/

The National Breast Cancer Coalition Fund (google it--it has a website)

The IRS also offers assistance via tax reductions for some people.

Good luck! Sandy

Medical Bill Site
    There is a site on the web that can help too. Google Help paying medical bills and it will come up. ACS is also a good contact. Depending on what State you live in you may have some sort financial assistance, my sister was just put on Badger Care in WI offered by the state. Her insurance is better than most private ones. They picked up her mamo at 100% and she also has pre-existing conditions. Good luck. Tracey
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    TLynn0102 said:

Medical Bill Site
    There is a site on the web that can help too. Google Help paying medical bills and it will come up. ACS is also a good contact. Depending on what State you live in you may have some sort financial assistance, my sister was just put on Badger Care in WI offered by the state. Her insurance is better than most private ones. They picked up her mamo at 100% and she also has pre-existing conditions. Good luck. Tracey

Bumping this thread to help
    Bumping this thread to help Tami.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Make an appt to speak with
    Make an appt to speak with your hospital case manager. It is in their interest to see that you are covered. You may think you don't qualify for Medicaid, but I would definitely meet with a case manager and see if they can help you receive Medicaid. And don't give up if you get denied. Many patients tell me they are noy accepted the first time.
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Here's some sites I found
    CancerFinancial Assistance Coalition (CFAC)
    www.cancerfac.org/

Healthwell
    www.healthwellfoundation.org

CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation
    www.cancercarecopay.org/

National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
    www.naic.org

Hope this helps, and do talk with the social worker with your oncolgy group. A lot of times they will fill out and submit the forms for you. That's what they are there for. And trust me they do a great job.

Best of luck,
    Edie
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi - you may want to contact
    Hi - you may want to contact your state office about medicaid. You can look it up online & see what programs they have. I'm in Indiana, and my state just started a new program called Medicaid Option 3 - it's specifically for women with breast & cervical cancers. You may think that you don't qualify but you might. I had no health insurance when I was diagnosed, and didn't think I would qualify because of our income. Cancercare is a good site for resources also. Best of luck to you, I know how stressful it can be worrying about money on top of everything else.
    *hugs*
    heather