6 months and 12 treatments DONE!!!

mark440
mark440 Member Posts: 63
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Yesterday I was unplugged from my pump... 12 treatments of 5/fu ... lucevorian.. and oxailplatinum... It was the most difficult thing Ive ever done in my life!! The effects of the oxi are horrible, my feet and hands are bad... but I got through it!
I go back to the cleveland clinic on sept. 9th for a return visit with my surgeon who will do a sigmoid.. my c.e.a. levels are at 4.5.. Im not sure if that is cause for concern or not?
I havent been on here much lately b, but I want to thank everyone for the words of wisdom and support I needed to get through this!
SEPT 9TH I HOPE I WILL BE DOING THE N.E.D. NAKED DANCE!!! LIVESTRONG!

Comments

• Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Congrats!
    YEAH! Chemo is done! The light at the end of the tunnel does eventually come.

A 4.5 CEA can be normal. It depends on which labs do it, and what the TREND is with your CEA. If it was always lower, and starts to climb and stay up, then it can be an issue. If it is under 6 most oncologists won't worry about it unless you've always been at 1, and then it rose to 2, 3, 4 and keeps going up. My oncologist told me yesterday that he has some smokers who have CEA of 8 or 9 consistently. I'm not a smoker, but if you are, it almost always keeps your CEA higher. It can flucuate with infections or other issues going on in your body too. So one reading means nothing at all. It is the pattern over time that counts. And 4.5 is still within an ok range even if it has been a little lower before.
  • mark440
    mark440 Member Posts: 63

Congrats!
    YEAH! Chemo is done! The light at the end of the tunnel does eventually come.

A 4.5 CEA can be normal. It depends on which labs do it, and what the TREND is with your CEA. If it was always lower, and starts to climb and stay up, then it can be an issue. If it is under 6 most oncologists won't worry about it unless you've always been at 1, and then it rose to 2, 3, 4 and keeps going up. My oncologist told me yesterday that he has some smokers who have CEA of 8 or 9 consistently. I'm not a smoker, but if you are, it almost always keeps your CEA higher. It can flucuate with infections or other issues going on in your body too. So one reading means nothing at all. It is the pattern over time that counts. And 4.5 is still within an ok range even if it has been a little lower before.

thanks Kathryn

thanks Kathryn
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    Hey Mark
    Done with the chemo,congrats!!! Wonderful feeling isn't it? I don't know a whole lot about the CEA thing. My Onc never discussed it the entire time I was doing chemo. I don't think they much attention to it nowadays except for when there are large spikes. Keep us posted on your progress.

-DJ
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Congratulations, Mark + good
    Congratulations, Mark + good luck with the scan!
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Congrats!
    Hey, Mark.

That's great news! Hope you get to do the naked happy dance on Sept. 9!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Awesome
    So glad you are done with chemo. Oxy is very hard to get through so I'm surprised you got through 12 rounds you must be a super hero because most people don't get through all that. My hands and feet are still bothering me, but you seem to be a trooper and much commended. Hoping that all tests come out great. Thanks for posting and come back and let us know how you did on the tests.

Kim
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Congratulations!!
    You are a

Congratulations!!

You are a star! Well done. Yipee!!

All best wishes for your dr. visit.....

tara
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    taraHK said:

Congratulations!!
    You are a

Congratulations!!

You are a star! Well done. Yipee!!

All best wishes for your dr. visit.....

tara

Yipee!!! Awesome! I know
    Yipee!!! Awesome! I know the road felt like it was never ending, but you have reached the finish line!!
    Kathy
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Mark,
    I remember what a wonderful feeling it was to be done.

Congrats! I too am surprised you made it through all 12 rounds of oxaliplatin. My hands and feet still give me troubles, but not too bad.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

Love and Hugs,

Holly
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    HollyID said:

Mark,
    I remember what a wonderful feeling it was to be done.

Congrats! I too am surprised you made it through all 12 rounds of oxaliplatin. My hands and feet still give me troubles, but not too bad.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

Love and Hugs,

Holly

Congrats!
    We need that kind of news here!
    Pepe.
  • Eltina21
    Eltina21 Member Posts: 173 Member
    12 treatments done
    Dear Mark,
    Congratulation, congratulations, and congratulations. I am 7 down and 5 to go. Now all you have to do is enjoy your life and savor each day. May Blessings and good news, continue to follow you.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Eltina21 said:

12 treatments done
    Dear Mark,
    Congratulation, congratulations, and congratulations. I am 7 down and 5 to go. Now all you have to do is enjoy your life and savor each day. May Blessings and good news, continue to follow you.
    Peace and Blessings,
    Karen

Karen,
    Before you know it, you're gonna be done as well. I don't want to hijack this thread, but want you to know I hope you're doing well. :)

Love and Hugs,

Holly
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    Congrats!!!!
    You did it!!!! Congrats on getting through it. I have two more to go and can't wait for it to be over. I will pray for great scan results for you. Go out and enjoy and I know you will be doing the NED dance soon.

Take care,
    Sara
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Awesome
    Hi Friend,

Good to hear from you. I've been lurking everday but not posting again until recently. I was wondering how you were doing and have been praying for you. 12 is great....wow...I had an allergic reaction on #11 so they wouldn't do #12. Expecting to hear your doing the NED dance soon. Yeah

BigHugs and Prayers,

Debbie