Does anyone else feel like this?

vanessat
vanessat Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Grief and Bereavement #1
My Grandma passed away on July 31st from tongue cancer. I was her caregiver, and she meant the world to me. I think I've been coping with her passing well I guess. There are things that remind me of her every day that make me sad. And there are things that will just make me laugh at old memories.

Something that's been on my mind for a while now (even a little bit before she passed), is to go to nursing school. I'm not sure if it's me grieving or not, although some days I'm sure it's not. I just feel the urge to go make sure people get the care they deserve. I met amazing nurses and health care professionals with my Grandma. But I've also met terrible ones, and you really don't appreciate the good ones until you've met the bad.

I guess I'm really confused and not really sure what to do now.

Comments

• grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Nursing School
    Nursing School might be a good step forward for you. Only you can search your heart and decide if that is what you really want to do. Sometimes people do find their calling from experiences both good and bad. Check out the schools in your area Talk to the people there to see if it is right for you. Your experiences with your grandmother might help you be an outstanding nurse with a great bedside manner, but only you are in charge of your future. Did you have other goals before your grandmother became Ill? Think about those, too. What are your other interest? Decide on your own path. What are your passions? You might even want to talk to a counselor. Best of luck, Fay
  • david54
    david54 Member Posts: 164 Member
    I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your grandma - they are very special people in our lives. As far as a nursing career is concerned I might suggest seeing a counselor first and see if you like the prerequisite's for the programs. But if you gave good care to your grandma and it sounds as if you are a natural caring person, I think you would be an asset to the profession. Lots of nurses got into the profession for reasons like you and they are superb professionals. I am an RN and when my wife was receiving chemotherapy the nurses that administered it to her were ones I trained almost 15-20 years ago! The same with the hospice nurses that were with my wife the last week of her life. I remember when they were all new grads and were so afraid of making mistakes and now here they are returning their skills that they said I gave them so long ago.

So....go for it!

David
  • vanessat
    vanessat Member Posts: 9
    david54 said:

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your grandma - they are very special people in our lives. As far as a nursing career is concerned I might suggest seeing a counselor first and see if you like the prerequisite's for the programs. But if you gave good care to your grandma and it sounds as if you are a natural caring person, I think you would be an asset to the profession. Lots of nurses got into the profession for reasons like you and they are superb professionals. I am an RN and when my wife was receiving chemotherapy the nurses that administered it to her were ones I trained almost 15-20 years ago! The same with the hospice nurses that were with my wife the last week of her life. I remember when they were all new grads and were so afraid of making mistakes and now here they are returning their skills that they said I gave them so long ago.

So....go for it!

David

Thank You
    Thank you Fay and David for your words of encouragement. I have decided to pursue a nursing degree. I'm going to spend the year taking prerequisite's for the program and apply to schools for september. Wish me luck! This feels right, and I'm going to go for it.

I hope all is well, and thank you!
    Best,
    Vanessa
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    vanessat said:

Thank You
    Thank you Fay and David for your words of encouragement. I have decided to pursue a nursing degree. I'm going to spend the year taking prerequisite's for the program and apply to schools for september. Wish me luck! This feels right, and I'm going to go for it.

I hope all is well, and thank you!
    Best,
    Vanessa

Luck
    Best of luck! I know it will take hard work, too, but you can do it. Blessings, Fay
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Luck
    Best of luck! I know it will take hard work, too, but you can do it. Blessings, Fay

My daughter wanted to go to
    My daughter wanted to go to nursing school, and is, after losing her son and now with me diagnosed with colorectal cancer, but I know that is not what she is about. Yes, she is loving and patients would have the best nurse, but she is an artist and I can not see her changing bed pans. What would make me happier is for her to pursue her passion. She can give up her happiness for others if she so chooses, but I wish she wouldn't..., not if her soul is not in it, it'll take more then her heart.
  • bestmom
    bestmom Member Posts: 5
    go for it!
    I went to nursing school mainly because of the great experience I had with the nurses when my mom was being treated for breast cancer. I now work as an oncology nurse. Its a really hard job, and some days it can be down right depressing. But I also feel like I am a better nurse because of the experiences I had with my mom.