Lung metastasis

2»

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    You guys are all so inspirational
    I really don't know what i'd do without you guys. I've felt so scared since the news, i wake up every morning in tears. If i didn't have you guys here to tell me you understand, and to give me the cherished advise i trust a thousand times more than my doctors', i would be curled up in a ball somewhere, just waiting for it all to end. I see what all of you have been through, and you continue to fight, knowing you'll survive this, and many of you are surviving.

I see my oncologist on Sept. 1st to discuss all the options, then on Sept. 3rd, i'm going to another water park to have fun until the sun goes down, no matter what. I know if i keep my spirits high, and my love for life alive, it will only help me.

Thank you so much for the support!

Serrana, i am at Moores. My oncologist is Dr. Paul Fanta. Is that where you go? Lisa, have you started a trial yet? I know we're all very busy, but i would like to get together with you guys sometime. Do either of you go to the GI cancer support group at Moores?

Hugs,
    Krista
  • kristasplace
    pf78248 said:

Oh, Krista, I hate this news
    Krista,

I can't give advice to you because I have no clue what to do, but I know whatever course you choose will be the right one. And be grateful you are doing so well, aside from the lung mets, as it has to make your recovery better because of how otherwise well you are doing!

Whatever it is, know that we are here to support you and send you best wishes and prayers for success.

Hugs and Healing,
    Priscilla

So sorry...
    I'm so sorry about David, Priscilla. You work hard enough to kill the beast only to succumb to the treatments. It happens too much. It's such a difficult cancer to kill. That's why i'm afraid of doing any more treatments. So much of it has irreversibly damaged me already. It took a great deal out of my quality of life, and It's taken two years of hard work just to be able to get out of the house again comfortably. I'm not ready for that to end, and this time maybe for good. I think that's a greater fear than dying for me. I can totally understand David's decision not to try anything else.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Krista
  • kristasplace
    serrana said:

lung mets
    Hi Krista
    Do I recall you are at Moores?
    I've had 3 lung met surgeries and prefer surgery to chemo anyday....
    Not fun but considering the whole body effects ....my preference
    If you are at Moores get an appt w/ the cardiothoracic surgeon Anthony Perricone, MD
    and tell him "Judy" sent you.....he did all my surgeries and has lots of experience w/ lung mets vs. chemo etc.
    I am 6 weeks post the third lung surgery and feel fabulous, NED right now
    All the best
    Serrana

Dr. Perricone
    YES! That's the doctor Dr. Fanta has referred me to. He said he's an excellent surgeon. Oh, i'm glad you have him! It's always better to get a referral from a patient than a doctor who hasn't gone through it.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member

You guys are all so inspirational
    I really don't know what i'd do without you guys. I've felt so scared since the news, i wake up every morning in tears. If i didn't have you guys here to tell me you understand, and to give me the cherished advise i trust a thousand times more than my doctors', i would be curled up in a ball somewhere, just waiting for it all to end. I see what all of you have been through, and you continue to fight, knowing you'll survive this, and many of you are surviving.

I see my oncologist on Sept. 1st to discuss all the options, then on Sept. 3rd, i'm going to another water park to have fun until the sun goes down, no matter what. I know if i keep my spirits high, and my love for life alive, it will only help me.

Thank you so much for the support!

Serrana, i am at Moores. My oncologist is Dr. Paul Fanta. Is that where you go? Lisa, have you started a trial yet? I know we're all very busy, but i would like to get together with you guys sometime. Do either of you go to the GI cancer support group at Moores?

Hugs,
    Krista

PM coming
    Hey Krista,

I'm sending you a PM...

Lisa
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Suggestions
    I haven't read past your post, there is 24 according to the discussion board.
    Suggestions? I haven't none.
    Hope? That I have plenty of. My dear, your photo is so beautiful, your smile, it makes the world smile with you, so contagious.
    As for the "so called" "natural path", I'm never going there, and I'm sorry that you drank those horrible drinks and tried it and it didn't work. Sometimes John can scare you into things you wouldn't ordinarily think of, if it wasn't him, it was others that made you make that choice.
    Don't blame that however for your discouragement. Just blame plain ordinary life on it.
    None of us ever expected to hear the word cancer, never, especially not colon cancer. What a freaking surprise to be delivered.
    Since my diagnosis, my liver became more active, not in a good way. The reason??? Who knows, but I changed my ways, became more nutritious, and since that point made it worse. LOL. So I'm just going to be who and what I was. I'm going to take that chemo, expect the best and try my hardest to live. So what, pom pom juice can kiss my arse, give me my cranberry back, no red meat?, heck, bring on that steak.
    But that's just me, being me, trying to do the best I can to survive in a way that makes a difference.
    But, whatever you do, don't lose that beautiful smile, and do everything you can do to survive medically speaking.
    Honey, we like looking at your picture, your perfect smile and wishing you the best that life has to give, keep HOPE alive, always there is hope.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Lung Mets
    Hey Krista,

So sorry to hear you got this news and now here we go again. From someone else who is in the Lung Mets category, I'm on chemo (Xeloda) to see if that will get rid of two of them that we are concerned with an a growth in the kidney which we aren't sure is colon cancer spread or a new primary Kidney cancer. We will know if it responds to the Xeloda, but if it doesn't, we will probably just zap it with an RFA procedure. Meanwhile, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Xeloda does a number on the mets in the lungs... some of them so small and they haven't grown in almost 3 years, but 2 of them that have started growing.

I really don't mind the chemo (Xeloda). The only complaint I have about it is that it is attacking the nerve-endings on my feet, which is a real pain (was serious pain but we up'ed my Lyrica med and that seems to be taking the edge off of it). I get my first CT scan since starting the Xeloda and that will be the key to tell us if it's working or not.

I'm surprised that your onc told you that they no longer treat tumours with chemo until surgery has been done first. That is NOT true. In some cases, they would prefer to try chemo first to avoid any kind of invasive surgery. It can really depend on the chemo and how you react to it. I would much prefer doing the Xeloda than invasive surgery... mind you, if all RFA procedures were as easy as the ONE I had done on a tumour in my lung, then I would prefer RFA for removing all tumours :)

Cheryl
  • biglaur
    biglaur Member Posts: 72 Member
    I also had treatment at Moore's
    If you have time, I'd suggest you try and see Dr. Arno Mundt...radio-oncologist at Moores. A super guy, brilliant, thinks waaaay outside the box, he may have suggestions for some alternative treatments. I passed on surgery and chose gamma knife radiation instead. So far so good! Good luck
    Laurie
  • serrana
    serrana Member Posts: 163 Member
    biglaur said:

I also had treatment at Moore's
    If you have time, I'd suggest you try and see Dr. Arno Mundt...radio-oncologist at Moores. A super guy, brilliant, thinks waaaay outside the box, he may have suggestions for some alternative treatments. I passed on surgery and chose gamma knife radiation instead. So far so good! Good luck
    Laurie

Moores
    Yes Krista I have your onc and I agree w/ Laurie that rad onc might also be a possibility
    Lung mets are extremely common and really they can take out alot of lung with no effect on your life.........I have two lobes missing after three lung surgeries and breathe better today than ever before at age 70. The surgeon I referred you to is a saint, he did all three surgeries; does heart and lung transplants ( you won't need one) and is very very well known
    I always ask his opinion about everything lung wise as he has seen it all.
    Keep me posted, a pm is great, and yes we do need to get together.
    I am doing some activities at SanDiegoCancerCenter ( free ) you might like....Mindfulness, Acupuncture, and Tibetian SOund Healing. Call them if you are interested or go to their website.
    Best prayers
    Serrana
  • trishisintune
    trishisintune Member Posts: 5
    I'm so sorry. Hang in
    I'm so sorry. Hang in there.

Before you turn down the surgery, keep in mind that surgery cures better than chemo. If the tumor is operable, you can still be cured.

Good luck!

Trish
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

I'm so sorry. Hang in
    I'm so sorry. Hang in there.

Before you turn down the surgery, keep in mind that surgery cures better than chemo. If the tumor is operable, you can still be cured.

Good luck!

Trish

Krista.........
    If its a tumor.get it out...They can look at it on the table, it needs to be out of the body where it does no more harm...Surgery, lung surgery, sucks, plain and simply sucks, but in 4 days it starts getting much better and now its fine...VATS for a met tumor Sept 7th surgery back to work now and doing fine , no nodes, all clear margins...I consider it my Vandy weight loss program..I lose about 1/2# every time I go....still kicking though so all is well.....get the surgery and if necessary do the chemo...it may be that TCM doesn't work for everyone....Im not discounting it, but it may be like CEA as an indicator, whats great for some may be mute for others.....in any instance, you will be fine.....Love to you, Clift