Vitamin E

Dawne.Hope
Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've had pain along my left side since my DMX, during the expansion process and even still some when the silicone implants were put in five weeks ago. I'd read that vitamin E (taken orally) could be helpful to prevent capsular constructure (sp?) and would also help with the scar healing. I went to my local organic vitamin store and bought some and I've been AMAZED at how much better I feel. Maybe it was just coincidence because I'm not sure that it's possible within a couple of days to tell that big of a difference ... but I just wanted to tell all the ladies with implants to try some vitamin E (if your doctor says it is OK, of course).

Be warned, though, of a couple of things: Don't put vitamin E ON the scar, it can make the scar tissue harder. Also, people that have problems with high cholesterol should be careful b/c vitamin E can make the bad cholesterol worse.

Just thought I'd share with you what's helped me! :)

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    My radiation oncologist recommended Vitamin E
    for scar tissue. I have not tried it yet. Thank you for positive experience. I will star it too, just need to make to the pharmacy. I hope I will be amazed too.
    Hugs
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I've been using
    liquid Vitamin E on my bilateral scars. My surgeon recommended it. So far so good.
    Char
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    sorry
    double post
    Char
  • Dawne.Hope
    cahjah75 said:

I've been using
    liquid Vitamin E on my bilateral scars. My surgeon recommended it. So far so good.
    Char

I'm glad it is working for
    I'm glad it is working for you. I've read both sides and just wasn't sure ... glad it's working! :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

sorry
    double post
    Char

Dawne Hope .. What a wonderful suggestion ...
    yes .. I think I was slathering Vit. E on my incision scars .. go figure! Internal use makes a great deal of sense.

Hope all is well with you and your new girls ...

Vicki Sam
  • Dawne.Hope

My radiation oncologist recommended Vitamin E
    for scar tissue. I have not tried it yet. Thank you for positive experience. I will star it too, just need to make to the pharmacy. I hope I will be amazed too.
    Hugs

Get some!
    For those that have had radiation ... the results are even supposed to be more dramatic. Good luck, new flower! I hope it works for you too! :)
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    cahjah75 said:

I've been using
    Char

Me too Char...they gave it
    Me too Char...they gave it in pill form and you just break them open and dab it on the scars. I used it after my mastectomy and my scars looked good and i plan on using it again once im totally healed from the implant surgery...they say dont use it if you still have scabs or openings.
  • Dawne.Hope
    VickiSam said:

Dawne Hope .. What a wonderful suggestion ...
    yes .. I think I was slathering Vit. E on my incision scars .. go figure! Internal use makes a great deal of sense.

Hope all is well with you and your new girls ...

Vicki Sam

There are differing opinions
    There are differing opinions on using it directly on the skin. There isn't any argument on taking it as a vitamin. It can't hurt, right? :) I've been putting organic cocoa butter on mine and they're looking pretty good. My PS told me to get to Walgreens and get the silicone strips. I haven't done that yet. Wasn't sure if they really work or not?

I'm getting along well with the new girls, especially now that my left side has stopped hurting all the time. There is still more scar tissue on that side, it's lumpy ... not sure why but thankful not hurting. Having trouble finding bras that fit, though.

VickiSam - how are you and your new girls? :)
  • jo jo

There are differing opinions on using it directly on the skin. There isn't any argument on taking it as a vitamin. It can't hurt, right? :) I've been putting organic cocoa butter on mine and they're looking pretty good. My PS told me to get to Walgreens and get the silicone strips. I haven't done that yet. Wasn't sure if they really work or not?

I'm getting along well with the new girls, especially now that my left side has stopped hurting all the time. There is still more scar tissue on that side, it's lumpy ... not sure why but thankful not hurting. Having trouble finding bras that fit, though.

Dawne were do you find
    Dawne were do you find organic cocoa butter at and does it smell like real cocoa butter...cuz i love that smell.
  • Dawne.Hope
    jo jo said:

Dawne were do you find
    Dawne were do you find organic cocoa butter at and does it smell like real cocoa butter...cuz i love that smell.

GNC
    jo jo - I found it at a couple of places ... those health food stores at the mall that have all the vitamins ... I think the name is "GNC" but I'm not sure ... they had some. But look carefully because some of it contains soy oil and you don't want that. But they had some, I just had to read some labels.

I bought some at privately owned store and again had to hunt a little, but it's there. It's consistency is hard. It's not soft like the kind you get a wal-mart that has parabens in it. It came in a tube and I rub it on my hands so it melts onto my hands and fingers and then rub it on. It smells like chocolate! :) The real stuff, baby! :))
  • jo jo

GNC
    jo jo - I found it at a couple of places ... those health food stores at the mall that have all the vitamins ... I think the name is "GNC" but I'm not sure ... they had some. But look carefully because some of it contains soy oil and you don't want that. But they had some, I just had to read some labels.

I bought some at privately owned store and again had to hunt a little, but it's there. It's consistency is hard. It's not soft like the kind you get a wal-mart that has parabens in it. It came in a tube and I rub it on my hands so it melts onto my hands and fingers and then rub it on. It smells like chocolate! :) The real stuff, baby! :))

Thanks Dawne i will have to
    Thanks Dawne i will have to try and find it and try it out....chocolate...yum!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jo jo said:

Thanks Dawne i will have to
    Thanks Dawne i will have to try and find it and try it out....chocolate...yum!

silicone strips
    I have been using them for my port scar. I wish I had them earlier. They helped to reduce sensitivity of my scar. I could not find silicone strips in the pharmacy. I bought them on Amazon. They called "Scar away" it have gone away, but I feel much better after have been using them. It is worth to try.
    I bought vitamin E and took my first pill. My oncologist told to take 800UL per day.
    Dawne thanks for encouragement
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Thanks Dawne
    I am only half way through Chemo, I am still looking forward to surgery
    ( mastectomy right ) and then Radiation. I plan on using Vit E now. Thanks again Kay
  • Dawne.Hope

Thanks Dawne
    I am only half way through Chemo, I am still looking forward to surgery
    ( mastectomy right ) and then Radiation. I plan on using Vit E now. Thanks again Kay

Kay,
    Check with your

Kay,
    Check with your onocologist first, some vitamins can interact and make the chemo less effective. I didn't have chemo, so I really have no idea about vitamin E and chemo. Blessings! Just know that when you're done with everything, it can really help!

Much Love,
    dh
  • Dawne.Hope

silicone strips
    I have been using them for my port scar. I wish I had them earlier. They helped to reduce sensitivity of my scar. I could not find silicone strips in the pharmacy. I bought them on Amazon. They called "Scar away" it have gone away, but I feel much better after have been using them. It is worth to try.
    I bought vitamin E and took my first pill. My oncologist told to take 800UL per day.
    Dawne thanks for encouragement

New Flower,
    My PS said I

New Flower,

My PS said I couldn't get them at Walgreens, I would have to order them online. I haven't done it yet, wasn't sure how helpful they would be ... but I'll order some this week. Thank you! Yay for taking your first vitamin E! :) I really hope it helps you!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member

Shea Butter
    My docs recommended shea butter over the cocoa butter to help with healing scars tissue (after the drains were out and they okayed it, not just after I came home from surgery). The cheapest and purest shea butter was by Palmer's in the African American hair care section of Walmarts. It is just about the pure stuff. It smells great, melts right into your skin, and softens everything you put it on. I use it for chapped lips, rough hands, just shaved legs, you name it, now that I've tried it on scar tissue. It really works and stops being greasy a minute or two after you put it on. I get some looks from folks when I buy it (my hair is ash blonde and straight) but it saves money and works better than the expensive mixes that are not pure shea butter. Sometimes I tried cocoa butter (also by Palmer's and in the same section) too just for the chocolate fix. I used some vitamin e oil from the capsules too, but the shea butter was my favorite.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member

Kay,
    Check with your

Kay,
    Check with your onocologist first, some vitamins can interact and make the chemo less effective. I didn't have chemo, so I really have no idea about vitamin E and chemo. Blessings! Just know that when you're done with everything, it can really help!

Much Love,
    dh

Thank You, DH and Cabbott
    Thanks for the Vitamin E information and the Palmer's shea butter. I'll definitely pick up some Palmer's at my local Walgreens, and get Vitamin E. I see my onc. soon, anyway.

Thanks everyone! Here's to no more scars!