My special side effects Cycle 2

Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'd just declared Cycle 2 a piece of cake. Then starting yestereday, I developed some very special side effects, the most notable being cellulitis in my right hand. I'm not running a fever, but the hand is red and swollen enough that I called the oncologist on call this morning. Her input was that the lack of fever was reassuring, but since it's my hand, I shouldn't wait until Monday to seek medical care because the infection could result in permanent damage to the hand. What? Got a shot of antibiotics in the butt, prescription to take orally, and an antibiotic cream. The PA I saw (urgent care - don't get sick on a weekend) drew a black line around the most concerning area and said if it gets red outside the line to go to the ER immediately. Geez. I have no idea why the hand is infected - I have some dings that I have no idea how I got.

My other side effect is my face is red and peeling. I may have done that to myself because I was cold the other morning so I sat in the sun for a short while. I had a hat on and sunscreen in my makeup, but it just might have been the sun exposure. Won't do that again.

I'm bald, burned, and bandaged! I already feel like I've aged 10 years in the past 4 months, and now this!

Suzanne

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Dear Suzanne,
    So sorry you are having problems with Cycle 2. Like jackiejhn stated in another post, why do things happen on Friday nights (or weekends). Hang in there. Sending positive thoughts & prayers your way. Hugs, Jean
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Sorry
    Sorry about the the lastest side effects. I didn't have that but you are right don't get sick on the weekend. My only option is the ER and I hate those drs. One good thing tho, is that after I finished chemo, a month ago all the dry skin on my face came off. Much easier to get it off in the shower. My face is so soft now, I use moisturizer but I can't believe how soft it is. Still waiting on hair but I'll take what I get when I get it.

Janie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Suzanne I wish
    I had read your post before I submitted my own. I woke up this morning with my face breaking out like I'm 16 instead of 61! I am so sorry for what you've gone through! Isn't it always the Friday night itis when it's too late to call your regular dr. I'm glad you were able to get antibiotics but ooooooh your hand sounds sore )-: Hope you feel better soon.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Suzanne so sorry about your
    Suzanne so sorry about your new special side effects....yep it always seems to happen on a weekend...mine did too...i hope it all gets better soon!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

Suzanne so sorry about your
    Suzanne so sorry about your new special side effects....yep it always seems to happen on a weekend...mine did too...i hope it all gets better soon!

Suzanne .. I don't understand your hand side effort ...
    but I have the upmost sympathy for you - werid side efforts were a part of my chemo .. In fact I burned my face while picking up dog do-do in the back yard .. it was at that time I figured out I needed to protect my neck and face with slathers of sun screen. Which then caused acme .. yes, acme like back in high school ... Icky

Keep up your strength ..

Cyber Hugs ..

Vicki Sam
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Oh no Suzanne
    I'm sorry for the "funky" side effects. That's what I call them...funky! I sure hope this passes quickly for you.

And you're so right about aging. From the time I was diagnosed at age 45, I really look like I've aged 10 years instead of five.

All the meds, rads, surgeries are really rough on our bodies.

Sending hugs and prayers your way!

Sylvia
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    sea60 said:

Oh no Suzanne
    I'm sorry for the "funky" side effects. That's what I call them...funky! I sure hope this passes quickly for you.

And you're so right about aging. From the time I was diagnosed at age 45, I really look like I've aged 10 years instead of five.

All the meds, rads, surgeries are really rough on our bodies.

Sending hugs and prayers your way!

Sylvia

Sorry, however I did have it too
    I had similar side effect after my 5th Chemo, it is not uncommon. The good news you got medical care which you needed. Hopefully antibiotics will help. They did help me. Try to stay away from cooking and house work, like cleaning, gardening and ect.
    Wishing you a quick healing
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Oh Suzanne
    I'm so sorry this has happened to you, just what you needed right. Murphy's law. And things always have to happen on the week ends. I hope your hand is better soon.
    Take care Kay,