diet

pie
pie Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be starting TCH next week and my oncologist gave me a booklet which included diet dos and don'ts. Does this mean I am confined to that diet throughout the 18 weeks that I will be on that chemo? Can I try other foods? There's not much variety on the list and the only meats are chicken and broiled lean beef. Please give me some hope because otherwise I will be having a Thanksgiving chicken dinner.

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    I'm not sure what she gave you, but....
    I'm guessing it's just a suggestion of what to eat DURING and right after the treatment that would be easy on your system. What does it say on the front of the booklet? After the first few days of chemo I went right back to my normal diet and had no problems.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Mama G said:

I'm not sure what she gave you, but....
    I'm guessing it's just a suggestion of what to eat DURING and right after the treatment that would be easy on your system. What does it say on the front of the booklet? After the first few days of chemo I went right back to my normal diet and had no problems.

TCH for 18 weeks straight .. Been there just finish
    this dense dose chemo treatment 12/18 .. about 6 months ago -- my suggestion for you is to follow what program has been layed out for you .. and in time, you will find that adding foods that your body can tolerate. Protein is needed to keep your body strength and White Blood Cells at good levels so you can fight off infections.

My experience .. my body .. BBQ - chicken or steak - baked anything did work for me, or any tomatoe based foods.

Hydrate with water, you will quickly get sick of just plain water - my suggestion as this worked for me is add a little - apple, grape, cranberry juice to your water. You may also try pink lemonade, crystal lite or lipton pre-pkg'd pouches. Mix anything you can think of with water. Herbal tea's is another great way to get water into your system.

Best of luck and let us know how you are doing!

Vicki Sam
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    my thoughts
    My guess would be that the Dr. is giving you guidelines/suggestions for what your system will be able to tolerate. As the Dr. or chemo nurses to be sure, but my own experience and many,many, many, posts that I have read lead me to think you should ead whatever goes down and stays down the best. I was one of the lucky ones that had very little stomach upset, so I could pretty much eat anything other than Mexican food or Indian food (my favorite "out to eat" categories). But some folks can barely keep down saltines and water, so nutrition can be a challenge. Hopefully your experience will be on the easy end of the spectrum. The main thing to remember is that it is temporary.

Take care, seof.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    My cancer center
    nurse gave me a book on diet during chemo. It had guidelines for what to do if nausea occurs, how to add protein, etc. The important thing I found is to eat 5 small meals a day. Make sure you hydrate! Eat protein, veggies, fruits that you can tolerate. Adjust as you go along. {{hugs}}
    Char