I had a great compliment today - tell me about your memorable compliment!

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I register patients for appointment with PCP's, and sitting at desk today that was not mine. A few beautiful baby pictures were on the wall of the cubicle and a patient asked me (sincerely) if that was my baby - not my grandbaby. Golly gee! I'm 56, boy did I need that!
It's a whole lot better than being asked if you're pregnant (teehee).

How about you?

Sue

Comments

• krispatmad
    krispatmad Member Posts: 10
    kids
    I work with little children. On the first day at work with my wig (and feeling a bit apprehensive about it), a little boy looked at me very innocently and said " I like your new haircut!" Aww...so sweet. With little kids you never know what you are going to get.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Thank you for asking. I'm a
    Thank you for asking. I'm a little down today and this will be a nice pick me up. The social worker at the cancer center said to me and my onc nurse that she wanted to take a picture of me to show other patients someone with a positive attitude going thru all the treatment. I think I hugged her when she said that. She also told me that I was truly loved by her and the staff at the center. Wow talk about getting kudos. It's really important to remember these positive things, especially on our down days.

One more--my rads team convinced me to take my scarf off and go topless. It took much courage for me to walk out of the clinic that day with so little hair on my head. My husband and I decided to have lunch at a popular restaurant in the area. As we were walking to our table an attractive lady with pretty, long blonde hair, stopped me and said loudly I LOVE YOUR HAIRDO!! OMG that was certainly a boost for me since I was feeling so
    vulnerable. I havent worn anything on my head since then.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Nothing specific, really,
    Nothing specific, really, but since I'm 34, I'm always the youngest in my chemo center by at least 15 years or so...I'm really getting used to being told how young I am and how great I look! Especially after still feeling (and looking) tired from running around after a 2 year old all the time and sill carrying around an extra 15 lbs from my little girl :) I do get alot of compliments on the pink hair, though, that was a great idea :)
    heather
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    I had one that totally took
    I had one that totally took me off guard.
    Shortly after i was done with chemo...i went for a walk over the pedestrian bridge that goes over the river...everyone walks, jogs or rides their bikes over it.
    Im still kinda running on low energy and no hair...just a bandanna on and this guy that is jogging past me...he stops dead in his tracks and walks over to me...im starting to freak out cuz i dont know what hes up to. but he says, he just wanted to tell me that he thought i was beautiful and wanted my phone number...no way...this guy had to be crazy. I did tell him no too.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Compliments to All
    Each and everyone of you deserves kudos and compliments. The "pink sisters" are one strong group. Listed are a few reasons for compliments:

You are, Warriors; Survivors; fighters, people who stare adversity in the face and walk thru it; you cry for a little while and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on; cry again, and again pick yourself up and move on; you care; you love; you offer your heart, your thoughts, your struggles and victories; you feel physical and emotional pain, but you also know how to laugh at it and sometimes with it. You are all beautiful in spite of being cut, poisoned and burned. You are beautiful with or without hair. You are beautiful. You are or have endured much and your beauty shows because it's a beauty that comes from within. That beauty shows on your faces and is heard in your voices. You have faced adversity and choose to keep on keeping on. Words from our wise ChenHeart: 'YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, SO YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO".

Kudos Pink Sisters.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Today
    We had a "Tea" baby shower for my daughter-in-law today. It was a small shower (she has 2 more larger showers in a few weeks). She loves "Tea" and I thought this would be special for her. Well, I wore my red wig to cover the thin spots on the top of my head. I got more compliments from friends, family & even the ladies that I know at the Tea Room. It made me feel good.
  • kickie
    kickie Member Posts: 85
    natly15 said:

Compliments to All
    Each and everyone of you deserves kudos and compliments. The "pink sisters" are one strong group. Listed are a few reasons for compliments:

You are, Warriors; Survivors; fighters, people who stare adversity in the face and walk thru it; you cry for a little while and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on; cry again, and again pick yourself up and move on; you care; you love; you offer your heart, your thoughts, your struggles and victories; you feel physical and emotional pain, but you also know how to laugh at it and sometimes with it. You are all beautiful in spite of being cut, poisoned and burned. You are beautiful with or without hair. You are beautiful. You are or have endured much and your beauty shows because it's a beauty that comes from within. That beauty shows on your faces and is heard in your voices. You have faced adversity and choose to keep on keeping on. Words from our wise ChenHeart: 'YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, SO YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO".

Kudos Pink Sisters.

Wow That was Beautiful!!!
    Natly15 i thank you so much for those loving thoughts, yes we are strong and we will stay strong together FOREVER!!!! HUGS AND LOVE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Today
    We had a "Tea" baby shower for my daughter-in-law today. It was a small shower (she has 2 more larger showers in a few weeks). She loves "Tea" and I thought this would be special for her. Well, I wore my red wig to cover the thin spots on the top of my head. I got more compliments from friends, family & even the ladies that I know at the Tea Room. It made me feel good.

What wonderful and beautiful stories ..
    Thanks for sharing .. I really can't think of one - but, I trying!

Vicki Sam
  • filimu
    filimu Member Posts: 74
    VickiSam said:

What wonderful and beautiful stories ..
    Thanks for sharing .. I really can't think of one - but, I trying!

Vicki Sam

I was feeling
    kinda blah today cause I've had cataract surgery in both eyes over the last 3 weeks, so I can't put any makeup on for a couple more weeks, and I just don't feel like I look good at all with a bare face, and I'm tired, and kinda grumpy about going out like that, and then my sweetie says to me...."you look more beautiful to me today than the day I met you, because you are still alive today...and didn't let the cancer get you!" Just what I needed to hear! I think I'll keep him. :)
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Great thread!
    I love reading these!
    I had a kind of funny one. I went to Victoria's Secret to get my free undies and decided to get a new bra. The young lady who was assisting me told me I had nice looking "girls". It took me a few seconds to realize what she was talking about! I thought, "yeah, not bad for a 49 year old who had breast cancer, huh?", but I didn't say anything!
    Well that made my day.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    elm3544 said:

Great thread!
    I love reading these!
    I had a kind of funny one. I went to Victoria's Secret to get my free undies and decided to get a new bra. The young lady who was assisting me told me I had nice looking "girls". It took me a few seconds to realize what she was talking about! I thought, "yeah, not bad for a 49 year old who had breast cancer, huh?", but I didn't say anything!
    Well that made my day.

Lady, Hey Lady
    A couple of months ago, when I had no hair I stopped to get gasoline on my way home from work. I did have on a bandana and pink ball cap. While pumping the gas I heard a woman's voice say, "lady". I looked up but didn't see anything because of a big post so I went on about my business. Then I heard it again, "lady, hey lady", so I peeked around that post and sure enough she was talking to me. She said, "I just wanted to tell you that you look great and I wish you the best." I smiled and simply said "thank you" but I'm sure she didn't know how much that meant to me at the time - the kindness of strangers!
    Marsha
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    well,...let's see
    My

well,...let's see
    My favorite comments are from the folks at work - they're always telling me how proud they are of me for staying positive and happy and just going and doing anyway. That makes me feel really good :)
    But, my most surprising and most memorable was this:
    I work at a national park, so am out and about a lot around hikers, bikers, etc. This local gal right about my age rides her bike on our park every day, and one day I passed her in my government rig and she flagged me down and said, "Where do you get those cute bandanas, I just love those!!.." And she had me show her how to tie one, etc b/c she said she wanted to cut her hair in a short style but be able to wear bandanas like that sometimes, too. She told me, "you're always just so cute and spunky looking when you go by.." I was really feeling down that day about how I looked, so she made me feel so good. And the best part is, we really hit it off and now I have a new friend!! :D
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Aaaah compliments.... don't you love'm?
    The compliments I got on my hair when I went out!! They thought I was daring
    and bold to go that short! And when my very best friend who I love and adore
    told me I was her hero. She never,never,NEVER gave up on me.

Ayse