where cancer research is headed

crselby
crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
A friend who is a grad of the U of AZ in Tucson sent me this part of their alumni newsletter. This doctor deserves a place in heavan. Watch for opportunities to participate in clinical trials, especially mets warriors!
~~Connie~~
UA Researcher Awarded Patent for Breast Cancer Drug Breakthrough
Joyce A. Schroeder
The treatment is designed to block the interaction of two proteins in cells that cause breast cancer to grow and spread.
By Sara Hammond, Arizona Cancer Center, August 19, 2010

Joyce A. Schroeder, an associate professor in the department of molecular and cellular biology at the University of Arizona, has been awarded a U.S. patent for a first-in-class breast cancer treatment.

PMIP (which stands for Protein Transduction Domain 4, MUC1 Inhibitory Peptide) is designed to block the interaction of two proteins in cells that cause breast cancer to grow and spread. PMIP targets cancer-specific interactions and has shown no toxicity to normal cells in preclinical tests.

MUC1, an oncogene, is overexpressed in more than 90 percent of breast cancer patients, so blocking this molecule's progression from the initial tumor will keep the cancer from spreading to other parts of the body. The epidermal growth factor receptor, or EGFR, family of proteins makes up a crucial aspect of oncology because it signals not only growth but disregulated growth, or, often, cancer.

"This drug goes into the cell and separates the proteins and puts them back where they belong," said Schroeder, also a Galileo Circle Fellow in the College of Science and an Arizona Cancer Center and BIO5 Institute member.

"Typically, metastatic breast cancer resists therapy. With this drug, we have a strong chance of saving women's lives," she said.

This peptide drug not only blocks the spread of a tumor but reduces its size. "We are hopeful that it may treat patients without the terrible side effects associated with chemotherapy," Schroder said.

Schroeder said the patent will help move the drug closer to the bedside from the laboratory bench. She and her team are seeking grants to move the drug into clinical trials.

The patent process started in summer 2004. The Arizona Biomedical Research Commission has funded Schroeder's work for six years, and it also funded the patent application activities. ABRC recently awarded Schroeder $337,500 to investigate new targets in a similar manner to PMIP.

The Arizona Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center headquartered in Arizona.

With primary locations at the UA in Tucson, the center has more than a dozen research and education offices in Phoenix and throughout the state and 300 physician and scientist members who work together to prevent and cure cancer.

Comments

• Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Nice!!!
    Where is the "like" button when you need it!!!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    This is great news and
    This is great news and something worth following. Thanks for sharing this.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

This is great news and
    This is great news and something worth following. Thanks for sharing this.

Very cool.
    Keep all that research coming--I love research scientists! Thanks for sending this along--gives us all much hope.

Hugs, Renee
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Thank you
    This is such great news! (Since I was born in Tucson..I'm extra tickled!)
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Thank you, Connie.
    How are you doing?

Sue
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    sbmly53 said:

Thank you, Connie.
    How are you doing?

Sue

YIPPEEEE!!!!
    But why does it take so long......
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Mama G said:

YIPPEEEE!!!!
    But why does it take so long......

thank you for posting, more
    thank you for posting, more hopeful news!
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    sbmly53 said:

Thank you, Connie.
    How are you doing?

Sue

how to send personal message
    I'm doing well, thanks. I would PM you if I could remember how to.