PET scan question

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had lumpectomy followed by rads. A 'clear' mammo. I've never had a PET scan. Is it warranted? Do only those with more involved cancer/surgeries qualify? I always feel that cancer is like the boogieman I was afraid of as a child, lurking just out of view, but there...

So, I want to do everything I can to be assured. Thank you all in advance. You are so amazing and, well, amazing is pretty much the word that describes.

Sue

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Sue,
    my oncologist has scheduled me for a PET scan on Monday. I had bilateral mastectomy June 22 and started chemo Aug 10. My ILC tumor was very large and he is doing it to ere on the side of caution. It's not an automatic thing. I hope this helps.
    Char
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    cahjah75 said:

Sue,
    my oncologist has scheduled me for a PET scan on Monday. I had bilateral mastectomy June 22 and started chemo Aug 10. My ILC tumor was very large and he is doing it to ere on the side of caution. It's not an automatic thing. I hope this helps.
    Char

never had one
    ive never had one and i have been diagnosed 2 different times,all i have had is a bone scan 1 time chest x ray and blood draws thats it. i can understand what you are saying i think the same thing.

teresa
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Sue
    I'm not sure either, but I also had a lumpectomy and rads (plus a little chemo for good measure), and when I asked my oncologist, she said the only follow up I would require would be mammos and MRIs (the MRIs only because my breast tissue is dense and some things might not be seen on the mammo that the MRI might pick up), so no PET scans for me either.

I did have a bone scan just to monitor any menopause- or drug-related bone loss.

Take care,

Cindy
  • iowasignterp
    iowasignterp Member Posts: 55
    PET scans are very expensive
    PET scans are expensive and insurance companies don't like to pay for them. I only got one because of a recurrance issue and even then they fought against paying for it. They were convinced and I got the bad news that it had spread to my bones but only to two places as of yet. It dramatically changes your treatment options if they find it in your bones. Many other diagnostic tests are cheaper.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

PET scans are very expensive
    PET scans are expensive and insurance companies don't like to pay for them. I only got one because of a recurrance issue and even then they fought against paying for it. They were convinced and I got the bad news that it had spread to my bones but only to two places as of yet. It dramatically changes your treatment options if they find it in your bones. Many other diagnostic tests are cheaper.

Checking for metastases
    It's my understanding that PET scans are used specifically to check for metastases -- my oncologist told me very specifically that a PET is not effective at all at finding tumors in the breast itself.

The only reason my oncologist recommended my PET/CT before surgery was that I had tumors in both breasts, and he just wanted to make sure that the cancer hadn't spread from one breast to the other (as opposed to developing independently in each breast), possibly leaving metastases to other body parts in its wake. Thankfully, my PET/CT was clean.

If a woman has/had a tumor in only one breast, and clean lymph nodes, and there's no other reason to suspect metastases, I could understand why a PET would probably not be recommended.

Traci
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Checking for metastases
    It's my understanding that PET scans are used specifically to check for metastases -- my oncologist told me very specifically that a PET is not effective at all at finding tumors in the breast itself.

The only reason my oncologist recommended my PET/CT before surgery was that I had tumors in both breasts, and he just wanted to make sure that the cancer hadn't spread from one breast to the other (as opposed to developing independently in each breast), possibly leaving metastases to other body parts in its wake. Thankfully, my PET/CT was clean.

If a woman has/had a tumor in only one breast, and clean lymph nodes, and there's no other reason to suspect metastases, I could understand why a PET would probably not be recommended.

Traci

I had a CT and bone scan
    I had a CT and bone scan prior to chemo, will not receive another unless i a symptomatic or blood reveals something. Not all women with positive lymph nodes get them either, might depend on the doc.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    carkris said:

I had a CT and bone scan
    I had a CT and bone scan prior to chemo, will not receive another unless i a symptomatic or blood reveals something. Not all women with positive lymph nodes get them either, might depend on the doc.

I had a PET scan after surgery and
    before chemo and rads. Since I had Stage 3 IDC and 10 positive lymph nodes, I definitely think it was warranted to look for metastasis. I'm one to err on the side of caution also--I'll take any scans, testing that is recommended. I'm due to a follow-up mammo in Oct., but since my breast tissue is also very dense, I'm going to push for an MRI as well.

Good luck, Sue (fellow NYer)

Renee
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    My experience is about the
    My experience is about the same as Cindy's. My Onc. said he did not think the PET was needed. I will be having a mammo when I have been done with rads for a while. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

My experience is about the
    My experience is about the same as Cindy's. My Onc. said he did not think the PET was needed. I will be having a mammo when I have been done with rads for a while. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Thanks Traci
    My dr. said she wanted me to get a mammo then she would decide if any further tests need to be done, based on what the mammo showed. She didn't explain why, but you answered why for me.