Health Insurance - If you don't have insurance Please Read This!

cindycflynn
cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just read an article about one of the provisions of the Health Care Affordability Act that is now in place. Until they set up the Government plan, anyone who can't get coverage due to a pre-existing condition and hasn't had coverage for 6 months can now get a policy that will cover them until 2014 when the Government plans are rolled out.

If any of you are in that situation, you may want to read this article (address below).

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourHealth/you-cant-be-denied-health-coverage.aspx

I know I have read posts from some ladies in the past who were in the position of not being able to find coverage, although some states already had this in place.
It kind of sucks that you have to be uncovered for 6 mopnths to take advantage of this, but it may help some of you. Also, you might want to check with your state (29 states run their own plans) and their conditions for coverage may be different than the federal standard.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Texas has a high risk pool
    Texas has a high risk pool but it's not cheap! The government one might be more reasonable. I'd like to see them cap premiums and not be able to turn anyone away also.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Texas has a high risk pool
    Texas has a high risk pool but it's not cheap! The government one might be more reasonable. I'd like to see them cap premiums and not be able to turn anyone away also.

Miss Cindy .. Thank you ever so much for this
    information, as I have spent countless hours on the phone or computer in an effort of trying to get insurance for myself and/or family after 9/30/10. Due to my preexisting conditions .. Breast Cancer, no insurance agency or company will cover me -- not even Kaiser. My husband and I are working with 3 insurance brokers, no agency or carrier will touch me .. It surely is a very depressing situation ..

I have completed my chemo treatments, no rad involved as I elected for a bilateral mact'my .. but I am right in the middle of all of my reconstruction surgery .. surely, I wonder if there is a God out there. Hippa has not given me the okay, but if I can get coverage .. my premiums will be close $1800.00 per month, with very limited health coverage .. assigned test labs, doctor offices etc. So this information is of value to me.

Cobra would of extended my coverage for another 18 months, however, the home office of my Company is located in Ohio and not California. Can't catch a break!

Thank you .. Thank you .. Thank you ..

Vicki Sam