Had fitting for prostheses

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went to a shop called Essentials for the Special Woman today for a fitting for post mastectomy bras and prostheses. What a terrific store! They carry everything for the cancer woman. I was so impressed as they send all paper work directly to my insurance company and will bill me later my portion. I walked out with 3 bras, 1 pr prostheses, and a comfort bra w/foam weighted forms that I can wear to chemo and at home. The woman that fitted me said I would always have the "angel wings" (lumps on side of body) unless my surgeon removes them. I made sure I got bras that flattened the area as much as possible. Feeling more like a woman with my new shapes that come in a box. lol
Char

Comments

• Aren't those breasts just adorable?
    I'm glad you had a positive experience...

My friendly neighborhood cancer lady store is great too. If I could just get past the feeling that I'm in a poorly decorated playhouse furnished from a garage sale I might be able to relax a bit more.

I have not heard the term 'angel wings' before.

I am looking forward to the day and I hope it's this October...that I will droop symmetrically again!

It's reassuring to hear you had a good experience.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    char im glad you liked the
    char im glad you liked the store and got some cool new boobs in a box...lol!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    jo jo said:

char im glad you liked the
    char im glad you liked the store and got some cool new boobs in a box...lol!

I love the place I go, never
    I love the place I go, never feel self concious, got some great camis too, suits that layered look. they also bill directly, will mail you stuff(they are about 40 min away) you definatley feel more like yourself when you get this sorted out.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    carkris said:

I love the place I go, never
    I love the place I go, never feel self concious, got some great camis too, suits that layered look. they also bill directly, will mail you stuff(they are about 40 min away) you definatley feel more like yourself when you get this sorted out.

My place is great too...
    First time in my life I have a perfectly fitting bra! I have a silicon boob and one of the ones with the two types of beads and plan on getting a weighted foam one as well.

I also have an angel wing...my fitter says it's common. When I lost a ton of weight during chemo it went down, but I have "found" somek of those pounds since chemo stopped and the wing is larger. All this time I thought that extra flesh was my boobs going under my arm....

I can wear the boob with the beads with my regualr bras (my new size regular bra) and I like that too.

My place is beautifully decorated, very tasteful and private. If I didn't like it, or thought it looked like a garage sale I would find another place. Some garage sale, my boob was $300! Bead boob was $200. Nothing cheap there.

Another angel wing here, Judy :-)
  • EdnaM
    EdnaM Member Posts: 30
    Happy for you
    I also have a wonderful store less than 10 miles from home. The 2 owners are also breast cancer survivors, my fitter had a mastectomy 20 years ago and also had the same surgeon I had. Had an immediate connection with her and all positive. I'm older on medicare but she did tell me if you loose or gain weight you can get a new script from the dr. (said they actually do that for customers all the time). First time I've been "fitted" for a bra and thot it would be awkward but I was so comfortable and realize I was probably wearing wrong bras for me all these years. I can't help but find a little humor in the fact that who would ever thot my insurance for pay for my bras?
    One question - you mention 'beaded prosthesis' - I'm not familiar with that one - what is it?
    Thanks.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    EdnaM said:

Happy for you
    I also have a wonderful store less than 10 miles from home. The 2 owners are also breast cancer survivors, my fitter had a mastectomy 20 years ago and also had the same surgeon I had. Had an immediate connection with her and all positive. I'm older on medicare but she did tell me if you loose or gain weight you can get a new script from the dr. (said they actually do that for customers all the time). First time I've been "fitted" for a bra and thot it would be awkward but I was so comfortable and realize I was probably wearing wrong bras for me all these years. I can't help but find a little humor in the fact that who would ever thot my insurance for pay for my bras?
    One question - you mention 'beaded prosthesis' - I'm not familiar with that one - what is it?
    Thanks.

Hi Edna,
    It's called Jillianna. go to www.jillianna.com and you can see them. They are covered twice a year by Medicare. I can hardly wait til Jan toget another one. It has non-silicone beads and has a fiber fill, caviar beads andsoft tissue like beads. It has a cotton backing. It's washable. I blot in a athick towel then put it in front of a fan for about 12 hrs. and it's ready to go. It's very comfortable and cool. It fits into my regular Playtex Comfort Lace bra because it already has a pocket and the bra feels not so confining as a mastectomy bra can feel.

I've seen less expensive beaded prosthesis in the TLC catalog but I'll stick with this one. But I do want to order the weighted foam one from TLC. Anybody out there get one of those?

I called Medicare and Blue Cross about getting a new boob (silicone) because of weight loss and was told once every two years no matter what. I was surprised cause I was also told all I would need would be a new Rx. But now I found my beaded beauties and I can get two yrly so I don't care.

Check it out with your fitter, I love my fitter too. It really helped me last year when we first met before my mastectomy...there was no mystery and I was very relieved.

Keep me posted.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    yaay!!
    That's so awesome Char. I'm glad you had a good experience there & have somewhat of a sense of your normalcy & famininity back through all the cancer BS. Good for you!!! I love reading good news on here, thanks for sharing!!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

yaay!!
    That's so awesome Char. I'm glad you had a good experience there & have somewhat of a sense of your normalcy & famininity back through all the cancer BS. Good for you!!! I love reading good news on here, thanks for sharing!!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Char .. I am right there with Heatherbelle
    Having such a wonderful experience makes breast cancer 'bearable', not to mention that you feel good and look terrific - !

Breast Cancer may of taken your breasts, but it didn't take your life! My motto

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    In today's mail
    I had a lovely note from the young woman who fitted me. How thoughtful of her :-)

I did a separate post that I wore one of the new bras today. You could not tell that I had fake boobs at all!
    Char