Who was your childhood idol?

Comments

• lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    definitely my dad!
    I was a daddy's girl and I knew that I could count on him to lift my spirits, protect me,
    guide me, and make me feel like I was "something". How I miss him, he died in 1994.

And...add me to the Nancy Drew list. I have read every book, but my own girls never really appreciated the books. Oh well, I guess they have many more choices these days.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    lizzie17 said:

definitely my dad!
    I was a daddy's girl and I knew that I could count on him to lift my spirits, protect me,
    guide me, and make me feel like I was "something". How I miss him, he died in 1994.

And...add me to the Nancy Drew list. I have read every book, but my own girls never really appreciated the books. Oh well, I guess they have many more choices these days.

WOW
    I should get a job at a carnival guessing people's ages! All I would have to ask is "who's your childhood idol?"

How fitting is this, Leslie Gore, "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" OR "You don't own me!"

Just the other day I wrote a post about some of the light-hearted topics on this site. I love this one!

Marsha
  • MOrtiz0810
    MOrtiz0810 Member Posts: 41
    A few
    The ones that really stood out for me were Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels. I wanted to be strong and beautiful like these women!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

A few
    The ones that really stood out for me were Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman and Charlie's Angels. I wanted to be strong and beautiful like these women!

Okay, I had many--some quite embarrassing!
    I was crazy about The Partridge Family, so my guy crush was David Cassidy and my girl crush was Susan Dey. From an earlier era, I also loved Sandra Dee in the Gidget movies. I also had a major crush on Elvis in films like Blue Hawaii, Girl Happy and Viva Las Vegas--I so wanted to be his girl co-star. Growing up in upstate NY I did a fair amount of ice skating, so I idolized ice skaters--Peggy Flemming, Janet Lynn (from the old days), Dorothy Hammill. I don't even know if some of these were "idols" but they're what come to mind from childhood/girlhood.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Willie Shoemaker
    Another horse lover here. I also used to read every horse story I could get my hands on, and early on I wanted to be a jockey. Willie Shoemaker was the BEST at that time (still the best all time if you ask me). I grew too tall for that dream to come true, and never owned a horse.

I also really wanted to be like Beth from Little Women (well all except the dying young!). She was just such a sweet person. Always the peacemaker.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    missrenee said:

Okay, I had many--some quite embarrassing!
    I was crazy about The Partridge Family, so my guy crush was David Cassidy and my girl crush was Susan Dey. From an earlier era, I also loved Sandra Dee in the Gidget movies. I also had a major crush on Elvis in films like Blue Hawaii, Girl Happy and Viva Las Vegas--I so wanted to be his girl co-star. Growing up in upstate NY I did a fair amount of ice skating, so I idolized ice skaters--Peggy Flemming, Janet Lynn (from the old days), Dorothy Hammill. I don't even know if some of these were "idols" but they're what come to mind from childhood/girlhood.

I read cherry Ames nursing
    I read cherry Ames nursing stories, they were my mom's. My mom got rid of them, when we moved,but I bought some recently and they are in my study. I became a nurse, but not sure if she is why. I loved David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman, but cant recall anybody i wanted to be like. I also liked the monkees, but when we played barbies, my barbie had to be married to Mickey Dolenez, someone else always got Davy Jones. LOL I read all the Little house books too. love history.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823

Willie Shoemaker
    Another horse lover here. I also used to read every horse story I could get my hands on, and early on I wanted to be a jockey. Willie Shoemaker was the BEST at that time (still the best all time if you ask me). I grew too tall for that dream to come true, and never owned a horse.

I also really wanted to be like Beth from Little Women (well all except the dying young!). She was just such a sweet person. Always the peacemaker.

Horses too!
    It's seem kind of strange that there are so many horse lovers here, but that is what captured my heart when I was a kid. I never had a barbie doll, but I had those plastic horses and my friends and I would play with them like other girls played with dolls. We would run in the neighborhood pretending like we were horses too. LOL. We had them when I was kid, but moved when I was five and I've never had one since, but there are so beautiful, so strong, so graceful. I just loved them. Still do. I love the way they smell, and the feel of their soft muzzle ...

I LOVED the Anne of Green Gables books ... I wanted to grow up and be like her ... vivacious, fun-loving and free.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member

Horses too!
    It's seem kind of strange that there are so many horse lovers here, but that is what captured my heart when I was a kid. I never had a barbie doll, but I had those plastic horses and my friends and I would play with them like other girls played with dolls. We would run in the neighborhood pretending like we were horses too. LOL. We had them when I was kid, but moved when I was five and I've never had one since, but there are so beautiful, so strong, so graceful. I just loved them. Still do. I love the way they smell, and the feel of their soft muzzle ...

I LOVED the Anne of Green Gables books ... I wanted to grow up and be like her ... vivacious, fun-loving and free.

THERE is one I recognize
    I don't know most of the things you guys listed except Elvis and Charlie's angels.
    But I am googling them.. hihi

Must be a cultural thing. But I DO know and LOVED anne of green gables...

Aaaaaa... I hadn't thought about her in years!

Ayse
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    My Mama
    My mother was awesome. I idolized her when I was little and adored her right up until the day she died. She was beautiful (at least to me), funny, strong, brave, and loved her family with utter devotion. She wasn't perfect, but I know that if I can manage to be half the woman she was I'll have done well. Gosh, I miss her!

Jenn
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

My Mama
    My mother was awesome. I idolized her when I was little and adored her right up until the day she died. She was beautiful (at least to me), funny, strong, brave, and loved her family with utter devotion. She wasn't perfect, but I know that if I can manage to be half the woman she was I'll have done well. Gosh, I miss her!

Jenn

My sister
    and Granny, cant wait to see them
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    lolad said:

My sister
    and Granny, cant wait to see them

my idols
    Mother Theresa, and Princess Diane. They were so giving. I cried when Princess Di died I felt so bad for her sons. I know they must miss their mom. The world lost 2 wonderful women when these ladies passed away.

I think Mother Theresa was one beautiful angel.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

my idols
    Mother Theresa, and Princess Diane. They were so giving. I cried when Princess Di died I felt so bad for her sons. I know they must miss their mom. The world lost 2 wonderful women when these ladies passed away.

I think Mother Theresa was one beautiful angel.

Richard Chamberlin, Dr
    Richard Chamberlin, Dr Kildere. Had posters of him on my wall in my room.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Kat11 said:

Richard Chamberlin, Dr
    Richard Chamberlin, Dr Kildere. Had posters of him on my wall in my room.

DR. HUNK
    Oh yes the first hunk-of-a-doctor on TV!
    How about now, do you have any doctors who look like that?
    Actually, my Dr S is quite handsome with bright blue eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MM
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

DR. HUNK
    Oh yes the first hunk-of-a-doctor on TV!
    How about now, do you have any doctors who look like that?
    Actually, my Dr S is quite handsome with bright blue eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MM

I know then turns out he's
    I know then turns out he's gay, unavailable but gorgeous!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    carkris said:

I know then turns out he's
    I know then turns out he's gay, unavailable but gorgeous!

The stars of old Hollywood,
    The stars of old Hollywood, Jane Powell, June Allyson, Debbie Reynolds, June Haver, Betty
    Grable, Vera Ellen, Liz Taylor, Esther Williams. I loved reading the Movie Star magazines, like Movie Screen, Photoplay, and several others. Had the biggest crush on Robert Wagner.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    sea60 said:

OMG!
    Idol - Mary Tyler Moore (She just had it so together).

Heartthrob - Davy Jones!!! (The Monkees) pure hunk, all 4 foot 8 inches of him!

Nice thread!

sea 60 - Me too!
    Davy Jones & Bobby Sherman too!
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    I was a gymnast-
    I wanted to be like Olga Korbut. Amazing athlete!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    When my daughter
    was 5 years old we woke at 5:30am to watch Diana & Prince Charles' wedding. Ooooooooh, so magical. I was very saddened when she died.

I too liked Dr. Kildare, hmmmmmm! And Robert Wagner - how about Paul Newman. Yeah!
    Char
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Annie Oakley!
    And Ricky Nelson. Of course Roy & Dale. And Penny from Sky King. I preferred Ben Casey to Dr Kildare. Loved Davy Jones and Bobby Sherman - met them both - Davy was a jerk, but Bobby, ooohhh....

Fun thread, thanks!

Sue
  • Marsha Mulvey
    sbmly53 said:

Annie Oakley!
    And Ricky Nelson. Of course Roy & Dale. And Penny from Sky King. I preferred Ben Casey to Dr Kildare. Loved Davy Jones and Bobby Sherman - met them both - Davy was a jerk, but Bobby, ooohhh....

Fun thread, thanks!

Sue

AH, the old days
    As long as anyone continues to post here I will read it! I love this, it makes me feel happy!
    MM