my first plastic surgeon visit not good

teresa41
teresa41 Member Posts: 471
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i finished chemo sep 17,2009 i gained weight during it steroids i think . i tried to keep walking during treatment but working everyday i was too tired. i have lost 15 pounds since and thats it. i went yesterday morning to see a plastic surgeon to start reconstruction on my right side and to have my left breast removed. she informed me that i must loose 40 pounds before she will do the reconstruction .i informed her i walk everymorning at 5am for 1 hour before i go to work and i dont sit at work i am moving and i also eat healthy .i dont eat a bunch of junk. so i will be calling the surgeon to remove the left one and be done with it. i just wondered if anyone else has went through this. i actually wanted to dig a hole and crawl in it. when i get ready if i have reconstruction i wont go back to her she was very rude!

thanks

teresa

Comments

• aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Teresa
    some doctors can be so insensitive, my PS is a perfect example for that.

He made me feel like I am a wuss when only after a week of my mastectomy,
    I asked for more painkillers. If he wasn't a genius of a surgeon I would go
    somewhere else too. But now I just ignore his command and behavior. Please
    don't let it get to you. Most people totally underestimate what it means to
    have cancer. Honestly, including MYSELF!

I seem to think constantly, ok I am better now and set myself back with
    too much activities and chores. If I myself underestimate this beast how
    can I blame others for doing the same thing?

You just keep up the good work and take care of yourself, don't let her
    belittle your efforts!!!

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • aysemari said:

Teresa
    some doctors can be so insensitive, my PS is a perfect example for that.

He made me feel like I am a wuss when only after a week of my mastectomy,
    I asked for more painkillers. If he wasn't a genius of a surgeon I would go
    somewhere else too. But now I just ignore his command and behavior. Please
    don't let it get to you. Most people totally underestimate what it means to
    have cancer. Honestly, including MYSELF!

I seem to think constantly, ok I am better now and set myself back with
    too much activities and chores. If I myself underestimate this beast how
    can I blame others for doing the same thing?

You just keep up the good work and take care of yourself, don't let her
    belittle your efforts!!!

Hugs,
    Ayse

To B or to C...that is the question
    I'm not sure about reconstruction, my surgeon has never mentioned a word of it to me. I met another patient of his with the same triple negative diagnosis during chemo, she told me he said she was a 'poor candidate' for reconstruction. I'm not sure what that means, but I will ask when I see him in October. The same woman also told me that my primary care doctor should write the prescription for prosthesis, but that guy told me nope.

My surgeon can be aggressive, but I like that in a surgeon...and Hell, I can be aggressive too.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950

I'm not sure about reconstruction, my surgeon has never mentioned a word of it to me. I met another patient of his with the same triple negative diagnosis during chemo, she told me he said she was a 'poor candidate' for reconstruction. I'm not sure what that means, but I will ask when I see him in October. The same woman also told me that my primary care doctor should write the prescription for prosthesis, but that guy told me nope.

My surgeon can be aggressive, but I like that in a surgeon...and Hell, I can be aggressive too.

Teresa I gained a good 20
    Teresa I gained a good 20 lbs during chemo and I was already 20 lbs overweight so I'm packing a good extra 40lbs myself right now. My plastic surgeon has never said a word about my weight. He did my expander and my reconstruction. I really can't see what difference it would make.The implant is stuck under the muscle with the newly expanded skin stretched over it..I've heard that really thin women have the most trouble because they don't have a lot of skin to expand! I would definitely go to another plastic surgeon...
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    teresa,
    i had my 1st ps

teresa,

i had my 1st ps visit yesterday. finished 6 rounds of chemo 6/23 and have 9 more of rads to go. i also gained weight during all this. he told me my stomach was a 'bit big' to do tram flap and i should consider other options. not that i was really considering that, not really sure what direction to go but was still not what i needed to hear.
  • kms3566
    kms3566 Member Posts: 57
    sorry for the double post!! must still be chemo brain
    sorry for the double post!! must still be chemo brain
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    I think it's a plastic surgeon thing
    They aren't the most tactful bunch. Were you thinking of implants or a flap procedure? I was overweight at diagnoisis, lost 40 pounds during chemo and radiation (taste and smell issues) and I'm definately still overweight. In fact, my oncologist wants me to continue to lose weight and be on a big exercise routine.

I saw a plastic surgeon last week at the suggestion of my breast surgeon to find out about my options. I met with the plastic surgeon, his resident and an intern who explained my options. For me it was implants or a diep flap procedure. They didn't recommend implants because I had radiation and showed me some pictures of how that might turn out. My weight wasn't a problem for implants though.

Apparenly my weight was an issue for the deip flap. They explained the surgery and told me I had the perfect body for it because I had good stomach fat. (Oh yea - just what I always wanted to hear!) The plastic surgeon explained that you can't be too thin or too fat to have a deip flap procedure. Then they all stood there and discussed how my fat was just right. It was so embarrasing. I asked about my oncologists instructions to lose weight and he told me that I shouldn't lose more than 10 pounds or I would be underweight. Seriously - I haven't been underweight since I was 7 years old. This has to be the first time in my life that a medical person told me that having fat was a good thing. It makes me wonder if they all have their own version of what they think is right.

What about getting a second opinion? I've heard some really good and bad stories about plastic surgeons. Hopefully you could find someone who appreciates how hard you are working to be healthy and not be so rude!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

My oncology surgeon
    wrote my prescription for my prostheses and bras. I go tomorrow for my first fitting at a store called Essentials for the Special Woman. It's owned and run by a former nurse/bc survivor. My insurance gave me the name of the store as someone they will work with.
    Char
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Teresa
    I went to see the ps before my bilateral mastectomy. I am very overweight )-: My weight has been a rollercoaster for a few years. The ps was very kind. I was not a candidate for either flap not because of weight but because I have degenerative disc disease and broke both shoulders and have balance issues. He did however, tell me I could have reconstruction at a later date with implants. He had just done reconstruction for a woman who was 15 years out. For now I plan on getting prostheses and bras. I'm 61 and don't really relish the idea of more surgery. Good luck with getting another opinion from a ps who cares. Sending {{hugs}},
    Char
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    cahjah75 said:

Teresa
    I went to see the ps before my bilateral mastectomy. I am very overweight )-: My weight has been a rollercoaster for a few years. The ps was very kind. I was not a candidate for either flap not because of weight but because I have degenerative disc disease and broke both shoulders and have balance issues. He did however, tell me I could have reconstruction at a later date with implants. He had just done reconstruction for a woman who was 15 years out. For now I plan on getting prostheses and bras. I'm 61 and don't really relish the idea of more surgery. Good luck with getting another opinion from a ps who cares. Sending {{hugs}},
    Char

thank you everyone.
    the plastic surgeon i seen said she only does the tissue expanders thats it, my surgeon that did my lumpectomy and mastectomy sent me to her. she says i could get a blood clot or something else could happen during the surgery. i think i will get a mastectomy on the left side and then go get another plastic surgeons thoughts on it and go from there.

thank you everyone

teresa