Good report Oncologist

EdnaM
EdnaM Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Appointment yesterday - 2nd appoint. with oc. All is well - had single mastectomy April 21 and have opted not to go for reconstruction (once and done for me - course I'm older, if younger would probably make other decisions). Anyway, no chemo or radiation, still undecided on Arimedex (she wants to get report from allergist before making final call on that one for me).
Guess we sometimes wonder what makes an oc doc choose that field - mine really opened yesterday and shared that her mother had breast cancer at age 39 - did reconstruction, treatments, etc. but the nice ending is her mother is now 69 and doing fabulous. Now going in for new reconstruction (age does strange things to the real boob vs that perky one); her mom wants to get 2 alike and let both age gracefully.
I really liked my "young Oc doc" from the start but for her to sit and answer all my zillion questions and then share her personal story - WOW!! how lucky for me to have found her!

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hey Edna
    Glad to hear your appointment went well. YAY! I am lucky too to have a wonderful oncologist. It took we awhile to get an initial appointment with her, but I'm glad I waited. Hope you have a wonderful weekend...celebrate your good news!
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Lucky you indeed!
    So glad you found an awesome oncologist...i wish mine was like that. Anyway glad your appointment went well!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Edna
    Glad to hear your appointment went well. YAY! I am lucky too to have a wonderful oncologist. It took we awhile to get an initial appointment with her, but I'm glad I waited. Hope you have a wonderful weekend...celebrate your good news!

congrats on your good
    congrats on your good appointment! and oncologist!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I'm so glad everything well went
    and you really like your doctor. I'm so surprised to hear stories of Oncologists that personally, I think, should not be in that business!

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    sea60 said:

I'm so glad everything well went
    and you really like your doctor. I'm so surprised to hear stories of Oncologists that personally, I think, should not be in that business!

Blessings,

Sylvia

I love my oncologist, too.
    I'm so glad you had a good report and a caring doctor is what we all deserve. For those who don't have a kind doctor, fire him/her. There are lots of good doctors so unless you are deep into your treatment and it would be risky to disrupt it, shop around for the right person.

Roseann
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    congratulations ,
    On your good report! I also love my Oncologist. She always takes the time to answer all my questions, and ask if there are any more. I never feel rushed when I am there. I also have her nurses phone # that I can call any time. I wish everyone had Dr's like we have. So glad to hear you don't have to go through Chemo or Rads. I have 6 rounds of Chemo ( half way through that ) and then surgery ( mastectomy right side ) then Rads 6 weeks. I am looking at next year before I am done. And it really helps to have such caring Dr's and nurses around you. And of course my wonderful Husband and sister. Ya cant beat them. they are my rocks.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Edna I like
    my oncologist too. He's considerate of my questions and always ask if I have any more. He was my sister's oncologist too 8 years ago. She still sees him yearly. At first meeting him I told my surgeon that although I liked him, he was extremely serious. My surgeon told me that in order to be a good oncologist the dr has to have some distance between he/she and their cancer patients or they would not be effective. My onco nurse for my 1st chemo told me her mom was a bc survivor and I'm glad she shared that with me. If you've ever seen "The Doctors" on tv, the female gyn said she went into medicine because her mom lost her battle with bc.
    Char
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Edna I like
    my oncologist too. He's considerate of my questions and always ask if I have any more. He was my sister's oncologist too 8 years ago. She still sees him yearly. At first meeting him I told my surgeon that although I liked him, he was extremely serious. My surgeon told me that in order to be a good oncologist the dr has to have some distance between he/she and their cancer patients or they would not be effective. My onco nurse for my 1st chemo told me her mom was a bc survivor and I'm glad she shared that with me. If you've ever seen "The Doctors" on tv, the female gyn said she went into medicine because her mom lost her battle with bc.
    Char

Big congrats on a great
    Big congrats on a great report! I am so happy for you!

Isn't it wonderful when we like our oncologist? Good luck!

Sue :)
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

congratulations ,
    On your good report! I also love my Oncologist. She always takes the time to answer all my questions, and ask if there are any more. I never feel rushed when I am there. I also have her nurses phone # that I can call any time. I wish everyone had Dr's like we have. So glad to hear you don't have to go through Chemo or Rads. I have 6 rounds of Chemo ( half way through that ) and then surgery ( mastectomy right side ) then Rads 6 weeks. I am looking at next year before I am done. And it really helps to have such caring Dr's and nurses around you. And of course my wonderful Husband and sister. Ya cant beat them. they are my rocks.

Congrats on the very good
    Congrats on the very good report!

Hugs, Angie
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    She seems like a gem of a
    She seems like a gem of a doctor. Hold onto to her. Thank-you for sharing this story. It makes the doctor's seem so much more human and in touch with the real world.

It is also good to know that that her mother has successfully survived cancer after 30 years and that age might possiblly do different things to each boob (i had recon. only on one side) and .
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    That's awesome!
    That's awesome, I am so happy for you. And extra happy that you found a great onc. they are out there. Mine is pretty spectacular too.

Prayers and hopes that things continue to go well for you.

((((hugs))),
    Edie
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    cookie97 said:

That's awesome!
    That's awesome, I am so happy for you. And extra happy that you found a great onc. they are out there. Mine is pretty spectacular too.

Prayers and hopes that things continue to go well for you.

((((hugs))),
    Edie

Congrats Edna
    A good doc is hard to find!
    Hugs,
    Wanda