Who was your childhood idol?

aysemari
aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Growing up I loved Pippi Longstocking, I wanted to be JUST like her.
Strong and adventurous with my own monkey and a horse.
I beged my mom to color my hair red and get me long stockings
and when she didn't I would sneak my dad's socks they were big enough
and would look for treasures in our back yard.

Ayse

Comments

• cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Mine was Nancy Drew
    I loved Nancy Drew books!!! She took chances, she drove a pretty cool car even if she was some kind of a geek! I tried to get may daughter's to read them, i think one of three made through 1 book. Oh well they just don't now what they are missing.
    I liked Pippy longstocking as well she had a pretty adventurous life herself.

Good topic.
    ((((Hugs))))
    Edie
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    cookie97 said:

Mine was Nancy Drew
    I loved Nancy Drew books!!! She took chances, she drove a pretty cool car even if she was some kind of a geek! I tried to get may daughter's to read them, i think one of three made through 1 book. Oh well they just don't now what they are missing.
    I liked Pippy longstocking as well she had a pretty adventurous life herself.

Good topic.
    ((((Hugs))))
    Edie

My dad
    I wanted to be just like my dad, but he died when I was eleven. Soon after, I saw President Kennedy as someone I'd want to be like, in less than a month he was gone too! My dad died 10-28-63, Kennedy on 11-22-63. So much for idols.

When I was a lot younger, my idols were Roy Rogers and TRIGGER!

MM
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Mine was Dolly Parton, lol.
    Mine was Dolly Parton, lol. Go figure, huh?! I just loved her song 9 to 5 and thought she was the prettiest woman in the world, and wanted to grow up to have great big boobs just like her (although I'd rather not be QUITE as top-heavy as her!)
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

My dad
    I wanted to be just like my dad, but he died when I was eleven. Soon after, I saw President Kennedy as someone I'd want to be like, in less than a month he was gone too! My dad died 10-28-63, Kennedy on 11-22-63. So much for idols.

When I was a lot younger, my idols were Roy Rogers and TRIGGER!

MM

My heros...
    Me too, Marsha M----> Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I loved them. I cried when he died. I was so sad. Later that same year my husband I drove through Victorville, CA on our way to Burbank. We went through the museum. Dale was still living then. They said she often came to spend time there and greet people, but we didn't get to see her that day. It was so moving to walk where they walked, and talk to staff who knew them personally, and look at the things that they touched. I was sad when the museum was moved to Branson MO, but I suppose more people can get to see all the wonderful artifacts there.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I read
    every Nancy Drew book I could find in my local library. I walked to the library (something no one does these days). I also loved Shirley Temple - tap, tap, tap :-)
    Char
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I read
    every Nancy Drew book I could find in my local library. I walked to the library (something no one does these days). I also loved Shirley Temple - tap, tap, tap :-)
    Char

oh i so loved watching those
    oh i so loved watching those Shirley Temple movies with my mom when i was little! I tried to get my daughter to watch one with me, but she gets bored with old black & white movies!
  • Marsha Mulvey
    cahjah75 said:

I read
    Char

m_azingrace
    Every year the local Shriners hold "The Shrine Circus" here in Evansville. In 1959, Roy Rogers and Trigger Jr.(plus Pat Buttram with Nellie Belle) were the guest stars. At the end of the show, Roy and Trigger circled the stadium and I got to shake his hand (leather glove) and barely touch Trigger. I was seven! Oh my gosh, I haven't thought of this for a long time. Bet you want to shake my hand now. lol

By the way, I still have the "Official Program" with lots of black and white pictures. This is fun!

MM

P.S. My sister's favorite was Gene Autry! Hop-Along Cassidy was a close 2nd for both of us.
  • Marsha Mulvey

oh i so loved watching those
    oh i so loved watching those Shirley Temple movies with my mom when i was little! I tried to get my daughter to watch one with me, but she gets bored with old black & white movies!

Shirley Temple
    My daughter is 20 now but when she was about 6 I started buying her the old Shirley Temple movies on tape. We loved watching them together. My favorite is "Now and Forever" with Gary Cooper.

MM
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471

Shirley Temple
    My daughter is 20 now but when she was about 6 I started buying her the old Shirley Temple movies on tape. We loved watching them together. My favorite is "Now and Forever" with Gary Cooper.

MM

farrah fawcett
    i loved her and her hair i always watched charlies angels.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    teresa41 said:

farrah fawcett

My Daddy
    Mine was my Daddy. I thought he could do everything! He was so patient and loving. He lived his faith everyday. He passed away 15 yrs. ago and I still miss him.
    I got my love of reading from him, so I grew up reading and loving Nancy Drew too! She always found the bad guy. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398

My Daddy
    Mine was my Daddy. I thought he could do everything! He was so patient and loving. He lived his faith everyday. He passed away 15 yrs. ago and I still miss him.
    I got my love of reading from him, so I grew up reading and loving Nancy Drew too! She always found the bad guy. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Jesse Owens
    I had a few including my own Father but Jesse Owens was an incredible man. Being a Canadian living in Red Deer Alberta where I grew up, my own father was responsible for bringing Jesse to a Sportsmen Kinsmen dinner so I was incredibly fortunate to have met this incredible athlete something that touched me and has stayed with me and will forever.
    Jesse was also the very first Black Man I had ever seen and he seemed larger than life to a little girl of 6 years old. I became an athlete and always could picture his face and his incredible SMILE.
    I still find it hard to believe that I had that simple pleasure in my life and his spirit lives on with me...
    Tara
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    idols
    Let's see- there was Nancy Drew (detective), Cherry Ames (a nurse), Annette F of Mousketeer fame, Sister Bridget who taught my first grade, Sunday school class and Betsy Ross (I kid you not).
    Hugs, K
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    teresa41 said:

farrah fawcett

Teresa
    I love her too.... My mom used to watch Charlie's angels and she used to call
    us her angels. My oldest sister had black hair, my middle one brown and I had blonde
    hair.

Ayse
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Connie Stevens
    When I was young I didn't just want to be LIKE Connie Stevens, I wanted to BE Connie Stevens. To me she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen with the long blond hair and big blue eyes. She was Cricket Blake and I wanted to go to Hawaii and BE her. I had magazine pictures of her all over my room, along with the biggest loves of my pre-teen life - George Chikaris and Moondoggie!!! Silly, huh?
    Pat
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I didn't have any. At least
    I didn't have any. At least I can't remember any. I loved horses tho and read every book I found that was about them. Never owned one tho. So I loved merry-go-rounds. You know, ride the fake ones if you can't the real thing.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marcia527 said:

I didn't have any. At least
    I didn't have any. At least I can't remember any. I loved horses tho and read every book I found that was about them. Never owned one tho. So I loved merry-go-rounds. You know, ride the fake ones if you can't the real thing.

Carousel
    From one MAR (sha, cia) to another - I loved horses too! When I was a kid, we had a small amusement park connected to our zoo. It had a huge carousel with hand carved and painted wooden horses. Also it, of course, had some seats with swan carvings, etc. The horses had real leather reins and the poles were wrapped in leather. It was a sad day in Evansville's history (I was about 13) when they decided to sell it to a town in Michigan. The last time I heard about it, it had made its' way to one of the Carolina's - and still going strong. MM
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    OMG!
    Idol - Mary Tyler Moore (She just had it so together).

Heartthrob - Davy Jones!!! (The Monkees) pure hunk, all 4 foot 8 inches of him!

Nice thread!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    sea60 said:

OMG!
    Idol - Mary Tyler Moore (She just had it so together).

Heartthrob - Davy Jones!!! (The Monkees) pure hunk, all 4 foot 8 inches of him!

Nice thread!

Leslie Gore
    Wanted to be her and practiced singing to her albums in the mirror with my hairbrush. True story! A few years later it became Cher.
    If I could turn back time! LOL
    Good post!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

Leslie Gore
    Wanted to be her and practiced singing to her albums in the mirror with my hairbrush. True story! A few years later it became Cher.
    If I could turn back time! LOL
    Good post!

J. P. Patches!
    Probably no one here knows who he is, but he is a local man (to the Northwest) who had a childrens television show that ran for over 25 years on channel 7. He was slapstick funny, and had such a warm way with kids. He dressed as a clown who lived at the city dump. I watched him from the time I was a toddler till he went off the air when I was 14. I never got to meet him as a kid, when he was at store openings and such, but...on my 40th birthday my husband had him come to a surprise party for me...and it absolutely made my LIFE!!! I felt like a kid again, and it was just the best moment. google him if you want to check him out, he is a local ICON!
    What a fun thread!!
    I also had a secret crush on Donny Osmond!
    M
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729

Carousel
    From one MAR (sha, cia) to another - I loved horses too! When I was a kid, we had a small amusement park connected to our zoo. It had a huge carousel with hand carved and painted wooden horses. Also it, of course, had some seats with swan carvings, etc. The horses had real leather reins and the poles were wrapped in leather. It was a sad day in Evansville's history (I was about 13) when they decided to sell it to a town in Michigan. The last time I heard about it, it had made its' way to one of the Carolina's - and still going strong. MM

We are twins! My name is
    We are twins! My name is pronounced Marsha and we had a carousel in town also! Not there anymore. Wouldn't that be a hoot to have twins and name them Marcia and Marsha!:>D