Going to Duke Tomorrow

C Dixon
C Dixon Member Posts: 201
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My family just returned from a wonderful week at Edisto Beach, the kids started school today and I am leaving tomorrow for anesthesia screening appointments, laprascopic looksee and if all looks good, a liver resection.

This will be my third surgery. They tried this last year but found disease on my diaphragm so three weeks later they took care of that and ablated my liver and did a HIPEC.

Three months after stopping chemo, they found four new lesions on my liver. The scans show them as being contained in the right side and the surgeon feels he can resect but if the diaphragm is involved again, they will stop.

I am very hesitant to make a lot of elaborate plans for post surgery or get too excited because I know it is very possible that it won't happen. I guess I'm a bit pessimistic and that's not good. It is just not fun to be woken up and told they couldn't do it. I want the surgery and I'm hoping and praying for it but I also want to be prepared for it not to go. Does that make sense?

Catherine

Comments

• Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    This makes total sense
    Hey Catherine - I'm glad you had a great beach week. (Edisto sounds really familiar. May be I went there as a kid?)

I hate it that you've got more liver tumors. Hopefully they can jump right in soon and take care of them. Duke's a great place.

I doesn't sound like you are being pessimistic. It sounds like you are preparing yourself well for this next battle. We're with you.

Roger
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Catherine
    I am glad you had such a nice holiday. Your message didn't sound pessimistic at all, just matter-of-fact. It is hard to get ourselves mentally ready, + then be disappointed as you were. I wish you the best of luck.
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    AnneCan said:

Catherine
    I am glad you had such a nice holiday. Your message didn't sound pessimistic at all, just matter-of-fact. It is hard to get ourselves mentally ready, + then be disappointed as you were. I wish you the best of luck.

Duke is Top Notch!
    Catherine,

Duke is Top Notch! Keep that in mind. These docs are well-trained and come with an outstanding reputation. You are in good hands all the way around. I am praying for you and sending positive vibes your way. Think good thoughts.

Lizzy (in Greenville, SC)
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Duke's good
    Hey, Catherine.

Hope the surgery goes and goes very well! I'll be praying that's the way it goes.

If you end up being there for awhile and need a visit, let me know. I'm not that far down the road, and my son and daughter in-law live over that way. Wouldn't be a hardship at all!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • C Dixon
    C Dixon Member Posts: 201

Duke is Top Notch!
    Catherine,

Duke is Top Notch! Keep that in mind. These docs are well-trained and come with an outstanding reputation. You are in good hands all the way around. I am praying for you and sending positive vibes your way. Think good thoughts.

Lizzy (in Greenville, SC)

I'm originally from
    I'm originally from Charleston but live in Cola town now. We love Greenville.

Catherine
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Duke's good
    Hey, Catherine.

Hope the surgery goes and goes very well! I'll be praying that's the way it goes.

If you end up being there for awhile and need a visit, let me know. I'm not that far down the road, and my son and daughter in-law live over that way. Wouldn't be a hardship at all!

*hugs*
    Gail

I m sure
    you will be operated very soon!
    my prayers and good vibs fro the other side of the pond!
    Pepe.
  • Ange08
    Ange08 Member Posts: 1
    Was at Duke a year ago
    Hi Catherine, a year ago I had 2/3 of my liver taken out. Basically the right lobe. Dr. Clary was my surgeon at Duke. He is intelligent, compassionate and has beautiful blue eyes. It was a long healing process but I got through it. I was wondering if you have the same doctor. Blessings of healing sent your way. Ange