Sores in MY Mouth

Nat1000
Nat1000 Member Posts: 40
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can anyone please help me? I have terrible sores in my mouth from the chemo, & it's killing me. I used the special mouth wash & took lortabs. Nothing is working, I've been crying all night. Thanks

Comments

• heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    the only thing that works
    the only thing that works for me is biotene mouthwash. if you aren't getting any relief with the products you are using, contact your oncologist right away!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Biotene mouthwash 3 times a
    Biotene mouthwash 3 times a day to keep the bacteria down. It builds up because your immune system is down. I had a couple of bad ones in the beginning I used orejel to stop the pain. It is temporary but it worked. Good luck Hope you feel better soon. Kay
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471

Biotene mouthwash 3 times a
    Biotene mouthwash 3 times a day to keep the bacteria down. It builds up because your immune system is down. I had a couple of bad ones in the beginning I used orejel to stop the pain. It is temporary but it worked. Good luck Hope you feel better soon. Kay

ice chips
    sucking on ice chips helped me with mouth sores you might try it if you havent already.

best of luck to you.

teresa
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    heidijez said:

the only thing that works
    the only thing that works for me is biotene mouthwash. if you aren't getting any relief with the products you are using, contact your oncologist right away!

OTC or prescription?
    Do you use the over the counter Biotene, or a prescription strength one? I did notice I developed a few sores last week in my mouth, but they've gone away, maybe because I've been drinking water like it's going out of style?? Next chemo is this Friday, so I'd like to get some & start using it now to help prevent them.
    Thanks!!
    Heather
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Mine were so bad!
    My onc prescribed liquid lidocaine for my sores. It was the only thing that helped me. Good luck! I remember that pain, and I cried too!
    Hugs!
    Jan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    teresa41 said:

ice chips
    sucking on ice chips helped me with mouth sores you might try it if you havent already.

best of luck to you.

teresa

My onc ordered peridex mouth
    My onc ordered peridex mouth wash, and it did the trick. I used it for a few days post treatment to prevent sores. I only had one, I am so sorry. I repeat this alot but mama G says to suck on ice chips during infusion helped her. Oh I hope they go away soon!!! also perhaps your dentist has a suggestion if the onc doesnt.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    JanInMN said:

Mine were so bad!
    My onc prescribed liquid lidocaine for my sores. It was the only thing that helped me. Good luck! I remember that pain, and I cried too!
    Hugs!
    Jan

uh yes mouth sores
    baking soda. My mouth was numb so I really didn't feel the pain, but it looked bad. I remember talking funny
  • uh yes mouth sores
    baking soda. My mouth was numb so I really didn't feel the pain, but it looked bad. I remember talking funny

ugh...
    I found if I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide as soon as I felt a sore starting I could keep them in check. I also stayed away from sugar, I might have felt as though I deserved it, but it only aggravated the problem.

I pray you feel better soon.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

ugh...
    I found if I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide as soon as I felt a sore starting I could keep them in check. I also stayed away from sugar, I might have felt as though I deserved it, but it only aggravated the problem.

I pray you feel better soon.

you may also want to try ... baking soda and salt with warm
    water .. but, call you Onc and see what he or she can suggest.

Best of luck ... stay away from any potatoe chips, crackers .. anything foods that would hurt the inside of your mouth.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam ♪
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I use Biotene
    mouthwash, toothpaste and brush 3 times a day. So far I've had no sores. I did get a slight sore throat so I bought the Biotene spray. Feels good :-) My onco nurse looked in my mouth and throat today with a flashlight and said everything looked ok. The only thing I noticed compared to regular toothpaste is that my tongue and gums don't look very pink - they're on the whitesh side. Hope your mouth feels better.
    Char
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    cahjah75 said:

I use Biotene
    mouthwash, toothpaste and brush 3 times a day. So far I've had no sores. I did get a slight sore throat so I bought the Biotene spray. Feels good :-) My onco nurse looked in my mouth and throat today with a flashlight and said everything looked ok. The only thing I noticed compared to regular toothpaste is that my tongue and gums don't look very pink - they're on the whitesh side. Hope your mouth feels better.
    Char

Make sure to chew on ice chips...
    during the next chemo injection. The whole time. It works!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Mama G said:

Make sure to chew on ice chips...
    during the next chemo injection. The whole time. It works!

I did warm salt water like 5
    I did warm salt water like 5 times a day to keep it in check. Also bought popsicles and sucked on them a lot. Really helped.
    I didn't get them too severe but as soon as I felt anything, I would rinse. Also got cracks on the side of my mouth and vasoline helped that.
    So sorry that you're going through this.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    otc Biotene mouthwash plus..
    I brush my teeth with peroxide and baking soda several times a day.........then use the OTC Biotene mouthwash as often as I start to feel 'dry mouth' and uncomfortable....it truly helps and has kept the sores down to a minimum and not so painful. I also took Fluconaz tabs when the sore throat kicked in and made it hard to swallow. However, now, since I am into TAC #7, the onc prescribed Fluconaz tabs for me to take daily to prevent infection. Hope you find some relief soon! Hugs
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    cavediver said:

otc Biotene mouthwash plus..
    I brush my teeth with peroxide and baking soda several times a day.........then use the OTC Biotene mouthwash as often as I start to feel 'dry mouth' and uncomfortable....it truly helps and has kept the sores down to a minimum and not so painful. I also took Fluconaz tabs when the sore throat kicked in and made it hard to swallow. However, now, since I am into TAC #7, the onc prescribed Fluconaz tabs for me to take daily to prevent infection. Hope you find some relief soon! Hugs

Biotene
    Use it several times a day. The sore is caused by dry mouth. Chew gum, hard candy, this helps a little bit.
    Kathy
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Kat11 said:

Biotene
    Use it several times a day. The sore is caused by dry mouth. Chew gum, hard candy, this helps a little bit.
    Kathy

It is probly Thrush
    Call your Dr. and get a prescription