Does it get better?

nursesheri
nursesheri Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm still new to this. Do the side effects of chemo get better with time? I've only had 2 tx, and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I hate the nausea, vomiting and hot lava that comes out of my hind end following each tx. Since I'm a stage IV, is it really worth it?

Sheri

Comments

• herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Throwing in that Towel
    Hun, I can't answer for you on the chemo thing. For me? Yes, it got better. The first two times were the worst, then it just got better.
    I almost threw in the towel, I was only supposed to get an extra couple months out of chemo, but now it looks like I got years out of it, when I think back to when I wanted to throw in the towel, I'm forever grateful I didn't.
    What I'm trying to say is, give chemo a chance, don't toss that towel anywhere just yet.
    And for that hind end? Get those baby wipes, and a baby wipe warmer (the warmer helps the "cold" sensation not to be there when you grab for one on those fingers.) and some plain ole' Vaseline, your hind end will thank you, you will thank you, it makes things more bearable.
    I'm stage IV too.
    Winter Marie
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member

Throwing in that Towel
    Hun, I can't answer for you on the chemo thing. For me? Yes, it got better. The first two times were the worst, then it just got better.
    I almost threw in the towel, I was only supposed to get an extra couple months out of chemo, but now it looks like I got years out of it, when I think back to when I wanted to throw in the towel, I'm forever grateful I didn't.
    What I'm trying to say is, give chemo a chance, don't toss that towel anywhere just yet.
    And for that hind end? Get those baby wipes, and a baby wipe warmer (the warmer helps the "cold" sensation not to be there when you grab for one on those fingers.) and some plain ole' Vaseline, your hind end will thank you, you will thank you, it makes things more bearable.
    I'm stage IV too.
    Winter Marie

Hey Sheri
    Is it worth it???? ANYTHING...and I mean ANYTHING.... I got to do to stay alive another day... is worth it to me. I am not a quitter.... I refuse to let this crap get over on me. No friggin way. Yes... puking... lava...so tired you can't hardly wipe that lava... major beotch... oh yeah.... then you start to see results.... THEN you will say..YES...it's worth it...and if you don't see results...change the game plan....always keep one on reserve in case yours ain't working for you...stay one step ahead of this nasty arse game that don't have any rules and you never asked to play. Sending good vibes your way.

Jennie
  • cmcl
    cmcl Member Posts: 78
    I remember feeling the same
    I remember feeling the same way when I had chemo. I was also Stage IV. Shortly after I started I remember saying to my Dad I didn't think it would be this hard. You kind of have to work out the kinks in the beginning. There are a lot of different meds you can take to help with nausea. I had my chemo 7 years ago and I took Emend, it melts on your tongue and Atavan. They used to put the Atavan right in my port. I also had Atavan pills to take at home. My onc kept trying everything till something worked to at least ease the nausea. Nothing cured it completely. Different meds work for different ppl. Don't give up, your onc should be able to help you with your problems. I don't know how often you go for chemo, but I remember being so grateful for feeling well on my off week.
    I've heard that if you have motion sickness you are more inclined to have nausea during chemo. I'm not sure of the correlation, but it does makes sense because I have/had both. I recently had surgery and they gave me a motion sickness patch to put behind my ear, it worked wonders. It's worth a shot, especially if it works!
    It's just a temporary phase for lack of a better term. It will get better,and you will feel better.
    Keep the faith. . .

Carolyn
  • cmcl
    cmcl Member Posts: 78
    I remember feeling the same
    I remember feeling the same way when I had chemo. I was also Stage IV. Shortly after I started I remember saying to my Dad I didn't think it would be this hard. You kind of have to work out the kinks in the beginning. There are a lot of different meds you can take to help with nausea. I had my chemo 7 years ago and I took Emend, it melts on your tongue and Atavan. They used to put the Atavan right in my port. I also had Atavan pills to take at home. My onc kept trying everything till something worked to at least ease the nausea. Nothing cured it completely. Different meds work for different ppl. Don't give up, your onc should be able to help you with your problems. I don't know how often you go for chemo, but I remember being so grateful for feeling well on my off week.
    I've heard that if you have motion sickness you are more inclined to have nausea during chemo. I'm not sure of the correlation, but it does makes sense because I have/had both. I recently had surgery and they gave me a motion sickness patch to put behind my ear, it worked wonders. It's worth a shot, especially if it works!
    It's just a temporary phase for lack of a better term. It will get better,and you will feel better.
    Keep the faith. . .

Carolyn
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Yes
    Yes,it is worth it.You have to do what ever you have to,to beat the cancer,even for one more day.It does get better,you will have good,and bad days,enjoy the good days.I had the nausea,vomiting,the whole works,I even had chunks of bloody flesh coming out of my butt,but I don't have to worry about that anymore.You will get better,and when you look back you will think it was all worth it.I'll pray it gets easier.What ever you do, don't ever give up.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Yes, it is!
    It is worth it to me! I have had a lot of chemo, + find sometimes it is easier than others. I have had minimal nausea, + no vomitting so I guess I have been fortunate that way. I only have to think of my husband, kids, family, friends etc. to know it is SO worth it. I also tell myself that the fatigue, etc. will pass... + it does. Take good care!
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    No towel throwing
    It's worth it.
    Managing the side effects gets easier with time. I read on your page that your on irinotecan. I was on Oxy, but I'll be starting tecan soon. Make sure you are talking to your doctors. Nausea, vomiting and crack lava are all side effects that can be alleviated - or at least eased. My doctor was a little upset with me for not letting him know that I was barfing after the first treatment. He said, "My patients do not throw up." He put me on emend and I haven't hurled since. (Apparently I threw up after surgery on the way to the ICU, but I can't blame that on chemo). Speaking of surgery, you had on one hell of giant one.
    Hang in there Sheri.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    To Me, YES. But everyone is different
    I found that some side effects get easier while others may wear you out after a while. I've been on Erbitux for many years and the rash is not nearly what it was at first. Being at well over 6 years since my dx and still going off and on treatment I think it's been totally worth it. I would make the same treatment choices given the chance to do it all over again.

There are things to take for the nausea and all. Good old MaryJane worked best of all in my opinion. I had tried a bunch of others and they don't even come close. This has been used for thousands of years to treat many things.

It can be a roller coaster of a ride with many ups and downs and "new normals" to get used. And yeah, it really stinks at times. We all get what we get in life and we have to make the best choices we can to get through it all. I would imagine that the protocol they have you on can very well get you through this and be OK in the end.
    -phil

BTW: I used Emmend for a while. It worked so-so. My insurance paid for it but at $175 or so a pill and they want you to take 3 pills ($525) I can not justify pharmaceutical companies making that much $$$ with something that isn't nearly 1/2 as good as MJ.
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Sheri, it will get better!
    Sheri, it will get better! Stage 4 just means you gotta keep at it! Let your doc know about the side affects, there are lots of meds to help! don't be afraid to ask and just know that you will soon be so proud of yourself!! Best to you. Jean
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807

Sheri, it will get better!
    Sheri, it will get better! Stage 4 just means you gotta keep at it! Let your doc know about the side affects, there are lots of meds to help! don't be afraid to ask and just know that you will soon be so proud of yourself!! Best to you. Jean

Let you doc know about the
    Let you doc know about the nausea, they told me and as others have said, there are enough meds out there now that you should not have to suffer!!!
    Kathy
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    keep fighting
    It may take some time to get dialed in on the meds that are supposed to make you feel better. I really never realized how bad I felt until I was done. I had to try many different nausea meds before they found one that worked. I was also hospitilised numerous times during chemo when I just could not take the side effects anymore. I kept going and am clear today.
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    Don't Give Up!
    Sheri,

IT will get better, but tell your onc. how you are feeling. I am also a stage IV and have completed 9 treatments with only 3 more to go. I take Emend and it has helped me a lot. Many people are living a long time after this diagnosis and you can too, but you have to continue to fight and remain positive about beating this thing. I know it is very hard and I struggle with it with good days and bad, but every day is worth the effort to fight for my children, husband, family and friends. I know I will beat it and you can too. It is hard at the beginning because the thought of doing all the treatments is overwhelming, but you CAN DO IT! Look at all the survivors on the board!

HUgs,
    Sara
  • nursesheri
    nursesheri Member Posts: 50

Don't Give Up!
    Sheri,

IT will get better, but tell your onc. how you are feeling. I am also a stage IV and have completed 9 treatments with only 3 more to go. I take Emend and it has helped me a lot. Many people are living a long time after this diagnosis and you can too, but you have to continue to fight and remain positive about beating this thing. I know it is very hard and I struggle with it with good days and bad, but every day is worth the effort to fight for my children, husband, family and friends. I know I will beat it and you can too. It is hard at the beginning because the thought of doing all the treatments is overwhelming, but you CAN DO IT! Look at all the survivors on the board!

HUgs,
    Sara

Thanks to everyone
    Guess I was just having a pity party, and I guess my worst day alive, would be better than my best day dead huh?!
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Ok Sheri darlin the pity party is over
    Ok Sheri darlin the pity party is over. Now let’s get that fighting face back on.

You have the spunk to get through this crap. We all have the down days, the trick is to see them for what they are and get right back into the fight. Get your body’s warriors off their **** and killing cancer cells. To do that you need a good attitude.

You are right that chemo beats the hell out of you. It does stop short of killing you.
    Hang in there. I am a stage 4 with only one little damn spot left to kill. It will be dead by next week. Did you know I have a real thing for nurses!!!!!

Kerry
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Thanks to everyone
    Guess I was just having a pity party, and I guess my worst day alive, would be better than my best day dead huh?!

Too funny
    That's a great quote. Sort of reminds me of the one that says "a bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work" or something like that.
    Yes, I think one's worst day alive would beat their best day dead.
    Everyone's entitled to a few parties, just try not to overstay them if you can.
    -p
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Kerry S said:

Ok Sheri darlin the pity party is over
    Ok Sheri darlin the pity party is over. Now let’s get that fighting face back on.

You have the spunk to get through this crap. We all have the down days, the trick is to see them for what they are and get right back into the fight. Get your body’s warriors off their **** and killing cancer cells. To do that you need a good attitude.

You are right that chemo beats the hell out of you. It does stop short of killing you.
    Hang in there. I am a stage 4 with only one little damn spot left to kill. It will be dead by next week. Did you know I have a real thing for nurses!!!!!

Kerry

Kerry, is your wife a nurse
    Kerry, is your wife a nurse by any chance?
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    AnneCan said:

Kerry, is your wife a nurse
    Kerry, is your wife a nurse by any chance?

no damnit
    Wish she was!! Dated a few back when I was young an single.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Thanks to everyone

you can be shure sheri
    hang in there!
  • tesslee
    tesslee Member Posts: 97
    Kerry S said:

no damnit
    Wish she was!! Dated a few back when I was young an single.

it's worth it
    i hate chemo, yesterday was an infusion day and i was so hoping my platelets were not rejuvenated, as they were 84 the previous monday. and then i would not be given chemo, but NO they were high enough and i got the dang chemo. but good news was i had my first pet/ct last friday since starting chemo, yesterday was #8, and it came back no evidence of disease. my main side effects with chemo are fatigue and diaherra (spell ?). so he lowered my dosage of 5fu and oxy. hopefully this will help, if not i want to go back to the full dosage.

i guess what i am saying is don't give up. another thing is i was sick for 2 months after surgery and into chemo. everyone kept saying you shouldn't be sick but i was. i started taking about a half cup of concentrated lemon juice and mixed that with water and made sure to drink a lot, like a gallon a day. it became a dreaded job but it worked. i was no longer throwing up. my problem had been i was dehydrated. don't let yourself get dehydrated, i learned that from this board. it can make you real sick.

just hang in there, please, it sucks, i know. tess
  • tesslee
    tesslee Member Posts: 97
    tesslee said:

it's worth it
    i hate chemo, yesterday was an infusion day and i was so hoping my platelets were not rejuvenated, as they were 84 the previous monday. and then i would not be given chemo, but NO they were high enough and i got the dang chemo. but good news was i had my first pet/ct last friday since starting chemo, yesterday was #8, and it came back no evidence of disease. my main side effects with chemo are fatigue and diaherra (spell ?). so he lowered my dosage of 5fu and oxy. hopefully this will help, if not i want to go back to the full dosage.

i guess what i am saying is don't give up. another thing is i was sick for 2 months after surgery and into chemo. everyone kept saying you shouldn't be sick but i was. i started taking about a half cup of concentrated lemon juice and mixed that with water and made sure to drink a lot, like a gallon a day. it became a dreaded job but it worked. i was no longer throwing up. my problem had been i was dehydrated. don't let yourself get dehydrated, i learned that from this board. it can make you real sick.

just hang in there, please, it sucks, i know. tess

nutritionist
    i asked my nutritionist about the lemon water and she told me this. that if your stomach is not producing enough acid it will not be able to break down the food. by adding the lemon juice it gives the stomach more acid to do it's job. and i added that half cup to a quart of water. just wanted to clear that up. and i also used zofran and while it was the best anti nausea med for me, it didn't nearly work like the lemon juice.