Some side effects I was not aware of

meena1
meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just wanted to let you know a couple of things that snuck up on me out of the blue that i was not aware of. One morning I woke and did not even recognize myself because my face was so swollen, eyes were slits. It was more like puffy, than swollen. Well anyway, i found out that I had a reaction to the steroid Decadron that I get with chemo, so they had to lower the dosage. So, now my face is a little puffy after chemo but not too bad. The next thing that happened was i got my first UTI (urinary tract infection) ever. But, of course, i thought i was in kidney and liver failure because i did not know what was going on. It hurt so bad to pee, and there was blood in my urine. I gave my pee sample and was put on an anti-biotic, and within 24 hrs all was well. The nurse told me that chemo kills the good bacteria or something like that and a UTI can occur. Geesh! I did not see that coming. just wondering if this happened to anyone else, or maybe you could share one of your side effects, besides the obvious such as hair loss. Gotta love it.

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    thanks Meena
    for sharing. I had my first chemo last Tuesday and felt ok afterwards. However, after getting my Neulasta shot on Wednesday afternoon the aches finally hit my poor arthritic body Friday night. I told my sister that I thought my face looked a bit swollen and I had a hard time keeping my eyeglasses in place. I almost felt like I was having an out of body experience with my face. Right now every joint in my body aches! Hoping I feel better tomorrow!
    Char
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Arent side effects fun,
    Arent side effects fun, especially when your not aware of them.
    I had the puffy face too but was told i was gaining weight...sorry but i dont gain weight in my face like that and it went back to normal after chemo was over...hmmmm...what a coquenadence (sp).
    I also got 2 UTI's during chemo and i rarely ever had them and onc doc said it was from something i was doing...when the only thing changed was the chemo and alot more water...again hmmmm?
    My onc doc didnt want to blame chemo for anything...thats why hes not my onc doc anymore.
    Then after chemo it seems more effects surface like when your hot how your skin tingles and itches and scratching doesnt satify it, or blurry vision cuz the chemo is drying your eyes out...there are so many!
  • meena1
    cahjah75 said:

thanks Meena
    for sharing. I had my first chemo last Tuesday and felt ok afterwards. However, after getting my Neulasta shot on Wednesday afternoon the aches finally hit my poor arthritic body Friday night. I told my sister that I thought my face looked a bit swollen and I had a hard time keeping my eyeglasses in place. I almost felt like I was having an out of body experience with my face. Right now every joint in my body aches! Hoping I feel better tomorrow!
    Char

Char, remember to tell your
    Char, remember to tell your doctor that your face was swollen, or you may want to call them. I did call my doctor and they did have me take Benadryl, this way he could adjust your dosage. Are you getting steroids? Yes, i know the feeling you are describing, my face felt a bit numb. I had never heard of this side effect and here you are with it also. Glad i could help you. Did your doctor say if you could take anything for the body aches? I do take percocets for pain plus they help me to sleep at night. I hope you feel better tomorrow also, just let your body rest.
  • meena1
    jo jo said:

Arent side effects fun,
    Arent side effects fun, especially when your not aware of them.
    I had the puffy face too but was told i was gaining weight...sorry but i dont gain weight in my face like that and it went back to normal after chemo was over...hmmmm...what a coquenadence (sp).
    I also got 2 UTI's during chemo and i rarely ever had them and onc doc said it was from something i was doing...when the only thing changed was the chemo and alot more water...again hmmmm?
    My onc doc didnt want to blame chemo for anything...thats why hes not my onc doc anymore.
    Then after chemo it seems more effects surface like when your hot how your skin tingles and itches and scratching doesnt satify it, or blurry vision cuz the chemo is drying your eyes out...there are so many!

ok, so now we can add UTI
    ok, so now we can add UTI and swollen face to chemo side effects. Yeah, i saw your post on changing docs, i am thinking about doing that too. I can't believe he told you that the swollen face was from gaining weight, tsk tsk.
  • cahjah75
    meena1 said:

ok, so now we can add UTI
    ok, so now we can add UTI and swollen face to chemo side effects. Yeah, i saw your post on changing docs, i am thinking about doing that too. I can't believe he told you that the swollen face was from gaining weight, tsk tsk.

I read that UTIs
    were a possibility. I've been drinking watered down cranberry juice :-)

Meena I took Tylenol PM last night and it did help. I also take meds for my arthritis. My face feels ok today. I was given Benadryl and steroids prior to chemo and will mention the strange puffy face I experienced.
    Char
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Side Effects
    Some side effects during chemo were red blotches on my face and left boob (mastectomy side). This we learned was caused by the steroids. Tingling lips. Tastebuds that went crazy. How could I forget the constipation, then diarreah. Oh well, I only have one more to go. And yes, I still have hair, which I don't understand (but that's okay). Hugs, Jean
  • lillith
    lillith Member Posts: 29
    azo & cranb
    oh, i hate UTIs! they're so bad. i take over-the-counter Azo-standard (for pain), and also drink cranberry juice. some of the health food stores have chewable cranberry tabs which are great. you can eat them all day.
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    lillith said:

azo & cranb
    oh, i hate UTIs! they're so bad. i take over-the-counter Azo-standard (for pain), and also drink cranberry juice. some of the health food stores have chewable cranberry tabs which are great. you can eat them all day.

The chemo messed with my
    The chemo messed with my tear ducts somehow and they swole up so much that i was having issues seeing clearly. My onc change my chemo.

Hugs

Donna
  • lillith
    lillith Member Posts: 29

The chemo messed with my
    The chemo messed with my tear ducts somehow and they swole up so much that i was having issues seeing clearly. My onc change my chemo.

Hugs

Donna

vision
    that's probably why i am having trouble with dry-eyes. i was having lots of vision trouble, couldn't focus, or it took a long time to focus. also, eyes got tired so fast! then a friend told me chemo does affect your vision. chemo affects everything i guess.
    it's getting better now since chemo's over so i'm hoping all keeps going upward.
    hugs back to you and everyone, L.
  • meena1
    lillith said:

vision
    that's probably why i am having trouble with dry-eyes. i was having lots of vision trouble, couldn't focus, or it took a long time to focus. also, eyes got tired so fast! then a friend told me chemo does affect your vision. chemo affects everything i guess.
    it's getting better now since chemo's over so i'm hoping all keeps going upward.
    hugs back to you and everyone, L.

Thank for the suggestion of
    Thank for the suggestion of cranberry juice, i will go out tomorrow and get some. Never thought of that, we can also remember to advise newbies to get cranberry juice, i am still learning from you guys. I love you so much
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    breaking out..
    Chemo is making me break out. Soooo, now I don't have my boobs, I'm getting ready to lose my hair, AND i have nice pimples all over my face. SEXY....
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

breaking out..
    Chemo is making me break out. Soooo, now I don't have my boobs, I'm getting ready to lose my hair, AND i have nice pimples all over my face. SEXY....

I had bad GI side effects.
    I had bad GI side effects. Onc kept insisting it was a preexisting problem. I didnt buy it. JoJO I have that burny tingling feeling too. Yet I am also very sensitive to air conditioning. I get cold very easily. I had a sandpaper, itchy itchy rash all over my face from the taxol. I remember the first time I had a soft clear patch , I kept telling my husband "feel this" it was so itchy I thought I would scratch my face off. It went away when taxol was finished.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    carkris said:

I had bad GI side effects.
    I had bad GI side effects. Onc kept insisting it was a preexisting problem. I didnt buy it. JoJO I have that burny tingling feeling too. Yet I am also very sensitive to air conditioning. I get cold very easily. I had a sandpaper, itchy itchy rash all over my face from the taxol. I remember the first time I had a soft clear patch , I kept telling my husband "feel this" it was so itchy I thought I would scratch my face off. It went away when taxol was finished.

Meena .. is right with swollen eyes .. call
    your Onc as quickly as possible. Side efforts, who knew certainly not our doctors! Ha .. I had every possible side effort know to mankind .. blisters on the bottom of my feet, consipation 6 to 8 days straight, neulasta acky joints, fainting .. but what puzzled me the most ... pimples! I couldn't treat the acne, due to my rashy, itchy face skin .. so I walk around (ok, laid around), with the face of a 16 year boy.

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    VickiSam said:

Meena .. is right with swollen eyes .. call
    your Onc as quickly as possible. Side efforts, who knew certainly not our doctors! Ha .. I had every possible side effort know to mankind .. blisters on the bottom of my feet, consipation 6 to 8 days straight, neulasta acky joints, fainting .. but what puzzled me the most ... pimples! I couldn't treat the acne, due to my rashy, itchy face skin .. so I walk around (ok, laid around), with the face of a 16 year boy.

Vicki Sam

Lindi cream
    I used this as it is very gentle and made for chemo patients, its pricey though. found it on line
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    carkris said:

Lindi cream
    I used this as it is very gentle and made for chemo patients, its pricey though. found it on line

Worse side effect ever... for me
    Was the belly bloat and I'm not talking lower belly - I had it all the way up under my breast area - like I was 4 months pregnant and carrying the baby very high. Everytime I would eat something I would bloat up. And I could feel alot of action going on in there too. This lasted 5 days. and I still have alittle of it. I don't know if I was eating something wrong or what but I didn't have the bloat for my 1st 2 treatments. Will see if I have it on my 4 threatment (this Friday)
    Yes, It also burned when I would pee too but that went away after a week and 1/2. My uretha is also very tender. I have to blot after I pee because if I wipe - it hurts. but it's getting better. I use the vagasil wipes and that helps alot. Never had the infection though... hummm
    I've had so many other side effects but I know it part of the process.
  • cahjah75
    I had the
    blotchy face the other day but it went away. Today the most annoying thing is the bloated belly. My stomach was growling and I had gas. As I sat next to my daughter-in-law at the beach Saturday I told her my stomach looked as big as hers (she's 29 weeks pregnant). So not cool!
    Char
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I had the
    blotchy face the other day but it went away. Today the most annoying thing is the bloated belly. My stomach was growling and I had gas. As I sat next to my daughter-in-law at the beach Saturday I told her my stomach looked as big as hers (she's 29 weeks pregnant). So not cool!
    Char

Hey Cahjah74
    What did you do about the bloat? or did it just go away by itself? I tried to take gasX but I don't think it helped much. But this treatment I'll be better prepared and will take the gasX early on.

Thanks,

Kelly
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    new2me said:

Hey Cahjah74
    What did you do about the bloat? or did it just go away by itself? I tried to take gasX but I don't think it helped much. But this treatment I'll be better prepared and will take the gasX early on.

Thanks,

Kelly

I also had the dry eyes but,
    I also had the dry eyes but, mine also teared really bad which made the blurriness worse. I would have tears rolling down my cheeks. People always thought I was crying. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member

I also had the dry eyes but,
    I also had the dry eyes but, mine also teared really bad which made the blurriness worse. I would have tears rolling down my cheeks. People always thought I was crying. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

had them all
    Still continue to have side effects 5 months after chemo. DR. always had a way of explaining it all away. My tongue was coming apart. Everytime I would rinse my mouth chunks of my tongue would fall out. It didn't hurt bcus my mouth was numb. My tongue is back to normal. That was really weird tho.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I had the
    Char

I am so sorry Meena that you
    I am so sorry Meena that you are having more problems. I've never had this, so, I can't offer any answers.

Hoping you are better now.

Hugs, Diane