hot flashes & Neurontin

ckmcclelland
ckmcclelland Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I saw my oncologist Thursday. I was diagnosed with DCIS almost 10 months ago and have had surgery & radiation. Tried tamoxifen but it caused me to be depressed with suicidal thoughts. Arimedex causes my joints to ache. Have had hot flashes which are currently being treated with Effexor but I still need more relief. Have them every 30 to 60 minutes during day and they interrupt my sleep at night. I asked the oncologist about Neurontin and he said he wouldn't prescribe it because of my medical history. I take Diovan/HCT, Mobic, Pronotonix, Vesicare, Effexor, vitamin/mineral and calcium/Vit D. Does anyone have enough medical knowledge to know why he refused to prescribe Neurotin? I'm 63. He doesn't want me to take black cohosh. I tried clonidine but it caused dry mouth and my primary physician wanted me off it. I don't see a reason to be miserable if there are drugs or something that can make life more enjoyable.

Comments

• reeseslover1234
    reeseslover1234 Member Posts: 87
    Neurontin
    Have you tried looking it up to see what the side effects or contraindications are? Hope this helps.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Neurontin
    Have you tried looking it up to see what the side effects or contraindications are? Hope this helps.

I would call him back and
    I would call him back and ask your specific questions. he will know why he said it.
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Well
    I was 36 at time of my dx of idc stage 3 and actually menopause is the side affect of chemo treatments and or radiation. I was one big hot flash and night sweats. After a year after treatments reverted back for awhile but have been full blown since long before 40. I have stayed away from all things and managed quite well calming now at 50. Not looking forward to rest of life with this since mother been hot flashing even at 78.
    No idea about the reasons for not taking neurontin but you too can read the list of concerns and side affects on information listed.
    Hope this helps.
    Tara
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I've been
    post menopausal for 11 years and still get hot flashes! Hot flashes took over my life when I was 50 and I couldn't cope. I just started chemo and still get the hot flashes but I've been able to cope better. I'm 61 and do know a couple of women who get the occasional hot flash. I was dx with clinical depression 10 years ago and was on Wellbutrin for most of them. I tried Effexor, Neurontin, Cymbalta and several others but nothing really got rid of the hot flashes or made me feel ok. My advice would be to ask your dr directly why he did not reccomend Neurontin.
    Char
  • ckmcclelland
    ckmcclelland Member Posts: 47

Neurontin

looked them up
    Yes, I have. As soon as I got to my computer I looked up side effects and drug interactions. There are many side effects but all drugs have side effects. Interactions didn't look like anything huge to me.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Neurontin
    I am on neurontin for nerve damage in my arm. It helps a bit for that. I also get hot flashes and have not had it do much for that. Hope you find something that helps. Hugs
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    I have hot flashes normally
    I have hot flashes normally and when my breast surgeon and I were discussing getting my ovaries removed, she suggested taking Vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil. They have been working for me so far. My ovary removal was cancelled due to clerical error by the surgery dept. so I am hoping this fall now I will get it done. It will be interesting to see how those vitamins hold up then.