Lymph Nodes Removed

slynch
slynch Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had lymph nodes removed on the right side and was told by a nurse that I should not let them check my blood pressure, take blood, or have IV's on that side. I forgot to ask -- is that just for a certain amount of time or is this a "from now on - forever" thing.

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    It's a forever thing
    Also, be very careful with the arm on that side--if you get a cut/burn, try to keep it from getting infected. Use an electric razor on that underarm to avoid nicks/cuts (although after 8 months, I still don't have hair growing on that side). My oncologist also told me no more manicures because the chance of getting infected in a nail salon is possible. The lymph system has been compromised on that side forever now thus hindering your ability to fight infections.

Hugs, Renee
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    missrenee said:

It's a forever thing
    Also, be very careful with the arm on that side--if you get a cut/burn, try to keep it from getting infected. Use an electric razor on that underarm to avoid nicks/cuts (although after 8 months, I still don't have hair growing on that side). My oncologist also told me no more manicures because the chance of getting infected in a nail salon is possible. The lymph system has been compromised on that side forever now thus hindering your ability to fight infections.

Hugs, Renee

It's FOREVER!
    Renee summed everything up in a neat little package!
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Sly
    Good ? My Onc told me to avoid those things in that arm, but being that my other arm needed a break from all the blood draws, IV's, & injections, if needed, they could use the arm below the elbow. I did have blood drawn from it so far. No problems. I never thought to ask for how long, so I'm glad you asked!
    ♥ Cat
  • jo jo
    Cat64 said:

Sly
    Good ? My Onc told me to avoid those things in that arm, but being that my other arm needed a break from all the blood draws, IV's, & injections, if needed, they could use the arm below the elbow. I did have blood drawn from it so far. No problems. I never thought to ask for how long, so I'm glad you asked!
    ♥ Cat

Becareful cat...I ask my doc
    Becareful cat...I ask my doc and she said NEVER EVER let them touch your arm and she reminded me they will try. Some people think they know what they are doing and they dont they dont understand and its their lack of knowledge that will put our health at risk. Thats why we are told NO BLOOD DRAWS, NO BLOOD PRESSURES ect in our effected arm...they tell us this for a reason.
    Ive had many arguments with doctors telling me they are going to take blood or a BP from my arm and ive been called uncooperative cuz i will not let them do this.
  • Cat64
    jo jo said:

Becareful cat...I ask my doc
    Becareful cat...I ask my doc and she said NEVER EVER let them touch your arm and she reminded me they will try. Some people think they know what they are doing and they dont they dont understand and its their lack of knowledge that will put our health at risk. Thats why we are told NO BLOOD DRAWS, NO BLOOD PRESSURES ect in our effected arm...they tell us this for a reason.
    Ive had many arguments with doctors telling me they are going to take blood or a BP from my arm and ive been called uncooperative cuz i will not let them do this.

JoJo
    You are right that they will try! I've had it happen on many occasions and even got the eye rolls when explaining why they can't use that arm. I do avoid it as much as I can, but I know when my veins can't tolerate anymore in the other arm. I haven't come across anyone yet that will use my port either. I was told they could use it for these things before I got it. I never let them take my BP from that arm.
    My Onc.(2nd one) is the Director of the Cancer Center I go to, seems to be very well educated, I trust him & that he would not allow me to do something that would put me in jeopardy.
    I wonder if it makes a difference how many LN's are removed & what type of surgery we had?
    ♥ Cat
  • jo jo
    Cat64 said:

JoJo
    You are right that they will try! I've had it happen on many occasions and even got the eye rolls when explaining why they can't use that arm. I do avoid it as much as I can, but I know when my veins can't tolerate anymore in the other arm. I haven't come across anyone yet that will use my port either. I was told they could use it for these things before I got it. I never let them take my BP from that arm.
    My Onc.(2nd one) is the Director of the Cancer Center I go to, seems to be very well educated, I trust him & that he would not allow me to do something that would put me in jeopardy.
    I wonder if it makes a difference how many LN's are removed & what type of surgery we had?
    ♥ Cat

Cat
    I always tell them to use my port too and it is in my other arm (not in my chest)so i cant do anything to either arm. But i always tell them to use my port and if they cant do it then find someone whos a professional that can cuz you arent touching my arms...im just mean that way.
    I dont know if it makes a difference how many nodes where removed or not...i wouldnt think so but i dont know for sure. They can take your blood from other places other than your arms...im really surprised your doc will do this.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Forever
    I was told by my oncologist, who is the head of the Cancer Center, to never have blood drawn, blood pressure taken, an IV or anything done to my arm, and, it makes sense why. That is why so many bc women wear bracelets saying that they have no nodes on that side and/or lymphedema. In case they might get in an accident, they don't want anything done to that arm. So, please don't.

Hugs, Megan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Megan M said:

Forever
    I was told by my oncologist, who is the head of the Cancer Center, to never have blood drawn, blood pressure taken, an IV or anything done to my arm, and, it makes sense why. That is why so many bc women wear bracelets saying that they have no nodes on that side and/or lymphedema. In case they might get in an accident, they don't want anything done to that arm. So, please don't.

Hugs, Megan

Ditto
    What everyone has said. I was told not to use it ever. No blood draws or BP in that arm. Please be careful and not use it, stay on the safe side. I was lead to believe it was forever.
    Wanda
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    jo jo said:

Cat
    I always tell them to use my port too and it is in my other arm (not in my chest)so i cant do anything to either arm. But i always tell them to use my port and if they cant do it then find someone whos a professional that can cuz you arent touching my arms...im just mean that way.
    I dont know if it makes a difference how many nodes where removed or not...i wouldnt think so but i dont know for sure. They can take your blood from other places other than your arms...im really surprised your doc will do this.

I only had one node removed
    I only had one node removed and was told the same thing. Nothing from that arm.

Hugs

Donna
  • Cat64

Ditto
    What everyone has said. I was told not to use it ever. No blood draws or BP in that arm. Please be careful and not use it, stay on the safe side. I was lead to believe it was forever.
    Wanda

Many
    times I have read on here about the difference of opinions with our Onc's on different issues. Now this one really makes me wonder. I am seeing him Tuesday & will ask more on this subject. I don't mean to mislead anyone or cause anyone harm, was just stating what I was told. So, for now, I will insert the foot! :-)
    ♥ Cat
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    FOREVER............
    It's a forever kind of thing.........

Best wishes......
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I had sentinel
    node + 2 on cancer side and a few from other side but none were part of my axilla. All my nodes were negative and my surgeon told me I can have bp and blood drawn from either arm. I've already had bp from arm and blood drawn from both hands with no ill effects. However, my sister who is an 8 yr survivor had 7 positive for cancer lymph nodes out of 20 something CAN NOT have bp or blood drawn on that arm. So, for those of you who had positive lymph nodes stick your ground and don't let them touch you :-)
    Char